Today's finds

getherduged

Hit an old camp.

8 bullets, (5 extracted), one federal general officers eagle button (Extra Quality on back) and one thimble.

Three of us hunting together and all three of us found an eagle button. One was a New York staff officers button.

Cuz hunted same placce yesterday and 9 out of the 10 bullets he found were extracted bullets.

Anyone know why we are finding so many extracted bullets?

Opps. Forgot about knapsack hook.

Attachments

• Larry\'s 012107 2.jpg
    Larry\'s 012107 2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 140
I would have to wonder about the condition of the powder when these rounds were fired, wonder if the powder was damp at the time ??? still extracted bullets are still very, very nice finds !!!

Those bullets look like 3-ring minie bullets meant for the muzzleloading percussion rifles. So they probably weren't pulled but are actually unfired.

Voriax

Here's another angle Voriax.

Attachments

• Larry\'s pulled 012107.jpg
    Larry\'s pulled 012107.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 113
I have dug a ton of minnies and yet no pulled ones. So dont know what to say.
As to the thimble = soldier's were issued a sewing kit which included a thimble. I have dug one so far that had to be from the kit as the land has been ranch land since the CW. Yours was probably included in the original kit also. Steve in so az

I have found several ringed bullets like those but never kept them. We never had and CW skirmishes in the area so I just figured they were worthless. I guess with all the hunting that went on in the 1800's they ended up everywhere. I probably won't find anymore now that I want to...lol

Great finds gether. Only a couple of those look extracted. I don't know why the others are so blown out looking. Usually regular "wormed" bullets are just from Sentry duty extraction after they were done with their shift. Good finds regardless.

Thanks everyone.

Bear, you may be onto something there.

Not far from where we hunted, there is a railroad. I have heard that the Yanks watched from the bluffs we hunted and would often fire onto the train moving our supplies and troops.

Back
Top Bottom