3 short hunts - one bad MDer

DougF

Elite Member
Was able to hit 3 spots for short hunts this long weekend
1. ball field at elem. sch. - 1.5 hours - some clad but very junky, finally switched from jewelry to coins setting. Nothing special.
2. 100 year old park - 1.5 hours - clad 5/0/5/4 P/N/D/Q. One penny was a 1949 wheat. There should be some silver here, but I'm sure it's been hit many times by others. I tried to concentrate on wooded areas today. On my way to the car I made one pass down the side of the volleyball court (in the grass) and got three clad quarters in three holes.
3. former elem school site, now a park - 1.0 hour. stopped off for a quick hunt. Went here last summer right after getting my detector, found nothing then but pull tabs and can slaw. Today I found some clad but also found large holes dug with a shovel. One was about 1' by 2' and six inches deep, and had a beer can showing in the bottom. The sod was scattered around the hole. The other five or six holes were smaller, but had been dug with a shovel. I did my good deed and filled them all in the best I could, but the loose dirt had been scattered in the grass. Oh, well, maybe they'll get tired of digging those big holes and give up. I wish I'd had a camera with me.

The cold is due here tomorrow, but next weekend doesn't look too bad.

I ran into the same thing recently. It sometimes makes me wish you did need a permit for local parks.

Those guys give the whole group a bad name.

Great job cleaning up after some bone head.... I cant detect at my local park anymore cuz of that

brooklynct2003 said:
I ran into the same thing recently. It sometimes makes me wish you did need a permit for local parks.

Those guys give the whole group a bad name.
In the town where i live you need a permit to hunt any town park ,its free but at least they have an idea of who could have done the holes , the permit is good for 1 fiscal year jan to december . not sure if the system works but i guess it helps and as far as finding silver there i would say you will just work it alot and slow and you get some . i dont think it matters how many people detect there you just have to be smarter then the last person in your Detecting methods

I hate that! Showing up at a park, where someone left their holes makes every passerby think that YOU did it!

We got the same problem at the beaches. Thanks for taking the time to fill them.

I know in some of the parks/areas I hunt the holes are caused by animals not people metal detecting. I was noticing a lot of holes one day and then started noticing a lot of feathers that appeared to belong to a pigeon. I kept going around digging up coins and then my coil passed over it and I made eye contact.....there it was just the pigeon's head!! :shock: I ended up finding a nice air force metal a few inches from the head that was on the ground. I know there are foxes (as in animals) :lol:... in the area so I guess they did it!! That would have been a strange Kodak moment! I usually don't carry a camera, but have seen some great sunrises and sunsets and walked among geese while detecting. I think maybe I should start carrying my camera, but as I do with my phone, car keys, pinpointer, lesche digger, I would just be feeling around to make sure I have it all the time. Gregg Wow the spell check makes me a lot smarter! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom