Old house pre qualifying

2108silver1

I usually try to hunt the middle class upper class 1900s houses. Anyone have luck on just working class 1900s houses. I usually hunt houses with enough yard to hunt to make it worth the permission. Smaller houses I find are usu:grin:ally in sketchy areas and full of beer tabs lids etc.had a permission yesterday 1920 build. Been detected years back. Found several wheaties and clad. Went next door tried for permission but owner wants to hunt it when he gets a detector. Passed on permission at house across street neighbor told me someone was detecting it yesterday. I never see anyone else out when I am have only 2 times.

My only "pre-qualification" is that I have permission from the owner...every site has potential...

As for the owner who wants to detect his property when he gets a detector, I carry a spare with me, and I'd offer to let him use it. I'd even offer to "show him" how to use it...and perhaps weasel my way into a partial permission that way :)

Sidewalks and curbs and trees and alleys tell a guy a lot about potential in a neighborhood, as well as where the house is in relationship to the block...where the Good Humor man would pull up etc... Quick sweep the curbstrips, which you can do without any bodies permission...see what the dirt is telling you...then strategize from there...

Back in the day, Alleys were the preferred Kid Highways..radiating out from an old school in all directions...Big Kid highways...so the curbstrips in those areas need quick sweeping..especially if the Sidewalks are all old and whatnot, with 200yr old trees....Just observations as a guy is out hunting...Plus, lots of stuff went on right out there by the street in the Silver coin days...

There was no TV or 'Ready Player One' things to do...Kids were outside, fighting and fussing...look for the Kid travel chokepoints and crossovers..Think like a Kid 100yrs ago, then its a simple matter of just tracking them down!...:laughing:

So here is a question has any if you hunted 1950s neighborhoods . what silvers have they gave up

Those post-war suburban ranch houses have excellent silver potential. The first clad quarters came out November 1965, the first clad dimes March, 1966. All quarters and dimes released before those dates were silver. Silver disappeared from circulation rapidly after that, at least by 1967 the majority of the drops would not be silver.

There were some houses built in the late 1940's, but the suburban building boom didn't pick up in earnest until the 1950's. Ranch was by far the preferred style.

I've done a ton of those ranches because of proximity and ease of permission. They are excellent spots for silver. Most were initially occupied by young couples with or soon to have children. Our country had newfound wealth and leisure time. A lot of coins were dropped.

When judging the potential of a postwar house look at how many years it was built before 1967. Obviously, a house built in 1955 is going to have way more silver potential than one built in 1965.

My neighborhood was built 1953 1954. So maybe I am surrounded by silver.

I bet you are. Don't expect old, but silver Rosies, Washingtons, War Nickels and latter date Mercurys should be in decent supply through the neighborhood. Sink rates vary widely so it's no guarantee, but odds are good that a high percentage of that silver is still within detecting depth.

Hopefully you have built up a good rapport with the neighbors!:yes:

Tons of older areas. Just like to widen the prospects. For example in the last 4 months besides everywhere else I jave hunted. I hunted maybe 12 1900s permission houses only got 2 merc dimes 1 Indian 10 wheaties and lots of clad. I am thorough move slow will spend 4 hours on a yard. Run an ace 400. I know I probably am just finding what other guys missed over the years. Greatful for all I find.

My neighborhood was built 1953 1954. So maybe I am surrounded by silver.

My house was built in 1952 and on my property so far I've found 7 silver coins (earliest is 1940s) and over 30 wheat pennies (earliest is 1920s). While this is a .75 acre lot, the point is that the silver was there, and mostly where you'd expect it to be: close to the house, edges of paved areas, and the base of large trees.

Except for a war nickel, those silvers were all loud solid hits and coins found at less than 6 inches. Yet, I didn't find most of them the first (or even third) time I went over those areas. They were obvious only after I managed to get my coil over them. I'm also "slow and thorough," I keep the detector level, use a short to medium arc, and rub the grass. If there were seven silver "out in the open" it stands to reason there are a few more in close proximity to some iron causing one of the many iffy signals I still hear out there.

So, focus on the high-likelihood spots and go over them from multiple angles and with different swing and walking speeds. This is more about coverage than catching a masked target or a coin on edge, although that's another benefit. We're creatures of habit and if you rescan from the starting point and direction you're soon to be stepping in your own footprints and missing the same spots.

My house was built in 1959 and is the house I grew up in and now I own it. As kids we were lucky to get ice cream change and an allowance so we didn't let many coins get away. About the only thing I find are my old marbles when digging in the gardens, lol.

Back
Top Bottom