Orlando Buddy Hunt

skyfish

Took my first buddy hunt today with "Electro", who I introduced to this forum after meeting him on a hunt at the Corrigans Wreck site along the Florida Treasure Coast this fall. We detected a site along the NW Shore of Lake Holden here in the Orlando area. This site is near some of the earliest settlements of this region and has remained undeveloped. It is now a "rough" area of town and its a good idea to hunt with a buddy on sites like this. I worked one granddaddy oak tree base for all the finds posted below. Elector spent more time surveying the site since it encompasses a few acres or so, and he was interested in finding the lake access. The lake shore on this site proved to be quite overgrown however. I was surprised to get as manny coin hits as I did under just one tree since there was so much visible trash on this site. They turned out to be all clad with the oldest quarter a 67 and the oldest penny a 61. Nevertheless, buddy hunting is fun as we spent about as much time sharing detecting experiences, locations and techniques as actually swinging coil. I highly recommend doing some buddy detecting to all the rookie detectors who come accross this post. :yes:

Attachments

• trip27.jpg
    trip27.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 141
Hey Skyfish....That was a fun day. Thanks for inviting me along. It's interesting to see oak trees like that that are 2 or 300 years old. It was great to have someone just a shout away being that we were in the woods. I did see a bush moving but never figured out if it was a snake or some small animal moving. I also had a chance to try out the blue tooth headset and it actually worked quite well. I like the fact that the ear cups let in ambient noise so I could still hear the signals while monitoring the environment.

Electro: I too enjoyed the trip. Neat wireless headphones you were tryin out, and I didnt want you to ruin your antenas' plug connector by stickin it in my sandy headphone jack either. (hmm... that sounds kinda funny)(Electro's tip of the day.....protect your head phone jack from sand infiltration by stuffing a soft earplug in it when not in use...GREAT IDEA!) I have this bad habit of layin my unit down on the sand when diggin those deep hits and the sand inevitably finds its way into that headphone jack hole.

I know our "holy grail" will be to land some Spanish coin or jewels on the Treasure Coast, which I am confident one of us will if we keep at it long enough!!!! Which brings me to........

Florida Tabdigger: I hear there is pirate treasure down your way, maybe Electro and I could use your guildance and plan a trip to Boca Grand or Redfish or Captiva Pass some weekend. Or maybe you have some other spots in mind.

I almost made it over to Ft Desoto park in St Pete the other day, but the job interview that actually got me over there took much longer than I anticipated so I never made it to the park. (had my detector and change of cloths with me though along with my park map in hand).

Bottom line with all this is.............."Its all in the hunt not in the quarry,but it helps when the quarry has some intrigue and is a viable possibility."

Back
Top Bottom