Wrapping the cable

I don't own a MD yet but it seems you need to keep the metallic wire as far away from the coil as possible to prevent interference. Running straight up the shaft at least a foot (leaving enough to maneuver the coil) and then wrapping seems like the best way to keep as much cable as possible away from the coil.

It's not so much keeping the metal wire away from the coil as it is the movement of the metal wire. It needs to move with the coil without wiggling.

It's not so much keeping the metal wire away from the coil as it is the movement of the metal wire. It needs to move with the coil without wiggling.

Exactly! Scooter and Martin beat me to it,but the real issue aside from the coil being able to move for convenience purposes is to NOT have a section of wire near the coil moving independently FROM the coil. The coil will simply pick up the moving wire and report it as a target. As Tom says....DOH!:lol:
It’s Ok that the wire is near the coil,these are motion based detectors(most of them today) so if it ain’t moving,it don’t care...that section of wire is a fairly small item. You couldn’t make a “coil ski” out of a garbage can lid to skim across the snow though...even though they would be locked as one. It would see this as an overload.

Does the way you wrap the coil cable around the shaft affect performance? If so what is the optimal way to do it? I try to keep the first 6 inches of the cable straight and then it's basically however I can get it on so I have enough left over to connect it to the control box. I secure the top and bottom with rubber wraps to hold it securely enough to prevent falling signals. But curious as to if there is a better way. :?:

Depends. If you're NORTH of the equator? wrap right..SOUTH of the equator? wrap left.

This fact was discovered by hunters in OZ when hunting gold fields . Coils wrapped the wrong way showed targets 6 inches above the ground instead of 6 inches below!! CRIKEY!! mates, the fix was simple!!:D

I started running my coil cable straight up the shaft instead of wrapping around years ago for quicker coil changes! Also was thinking maybe less flexing of the coil cable thru time would equal to better wear/life of the cable.?

Glad this thread came back to life. After reading it, I was inspired to make my own cable clips, so changing coils will be quicker and easier. I also prefer the straight line method.
I posted my DIY clips here: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=269639

Attachments

• DSCN9345.jpg
    DSCN9345.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 157
Back
Top Bottom