Montana Silver Dollar, Sterling, Shiny Coins & more...

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I know, I know... just another boring Montana Silver Dollar... but believe me, NOT BORING to pull one out of the ground!

My wife and I headed north to attend a memorial service for an old time friend, and left a day early to do some antique shopping and metal detecting. We arrived in early evening, visited another friend who owned a couple of rental homes in town. He gave me permission to detect all his rentals. This first one dated from about 1950, and produced 3 Silver Rosies, some wheat cents and modern coins (wheaties and clad I gave to his youngest son).

The next morning I headed to a nearby town just to check it out for possible future trips, checked a couple of small sections of curb strips (got a couple of wheat cents and King George 6 penny), and I got into 3 ca 1940's homes. The first yard had nothing, second yard had lots of recent drops, and the third yard produced a 1946 Silver Rosie, and surprised me with a beautiful 1922 Peace Dollar! The Silver Dollar was near the sidewalk on the yard side, when I swung the AT Pro over that area, I got a 96-97 readout plus the good solid high tone. I thought... couldn't be anything good but lets check, and glad I did! Nothing like BIG SHINY waiting to come out of the soil! What an unexpected but fun surprise! That was it for a bit as I needed to get back to where the memorial was happening. I did have time to meet my friend with the rentals, and we checked his 1920's rental home, which produced a Silver Washington Quarter and a couple of pretty Sterling Silver rings.

Well... after the memorial and banquet, I was pretty stoked to get out and do some more detecting that evening. I took my friends son, and my wife, and managed to get into a yard with lots of wheat cents, another yard that had a small Sterling ring, and another yard that produced a 1905 V Nickel, 1940 Merc Dime, and a Silver Rosie.

That was it, as the next morning we headed south toward home. We met my friend Jason from Helena, and did a few hours of detecting. Jason scored his 200th Silver of the year, my wife got her first coin ever with the Vanquish 440 - a Silver Rosie, while all I could manage was a cool German Luger 007 toy pin, a beautiful Victorian Silver fancy cut pendant, and 20 wheat cents along with tons of clad.

Some good hunting for sure, my 7th Montana found Silver Dollar and lots of fun and good times, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• db1.jpg
    db1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 213
  • db2.jpg
    db2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 210
  • db3.jpg
    db3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 213
  • gtf1.jpg
    gtf1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 224
  • gtf2.jpg
    gtf2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 212
You are looking like the guy from So Cal! With all that silver!
Actually he hasn't posted in a long time now? I wonder what happened?

pic of big silver cleaned up...

Pic after gentle scrubbing under water with soft toothbrush...

Attachments

• silvah.jpg
    silvah.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 178
Way to go Mr. Shiny !! Location , location ,location and of course skill and determination . Congrats once again !

You are looking like the guy from So Cal! With all that silver!
Actually he hasn't posted in a long time now? I wonder what happened?

I'd probably guess he's dedicating more of his time to detecting and hauling
in more silver at some new hot locations while the getting is good . I noticed there were some times he posted and he didn't get much acknowledgement
at all after putting a lot of work into his threads ( just my opinion ) .

Way to go Mr. Shiny !! Location , location ,location and of course skill and determination . Congrats once again !

I'd probably guess he's dedicating more of his time to detecting and hauling
in more silver at some new hot locations while the getting is good . I noticed there were some times he posted and he didn't get much acknowledgement
at all after putting a lot of work into his threads ( just my opinion ) .

Thank you Soil Surgeon! Yep... it is location location location. Private yards are generally virgin territory and some nice finds can be made.

Nice job David. Did you give a little fist pump when the big shiny popped out of the ground? Your perseverance has really paid off, and it looks like you're expanding your range since things seem to have gotten a bit tougher in the Missoula area.

Nice job David. Did you give a little fist pump when the big shiny popped out of the ground? Your perseverance has really paid off, and it looks like you're expanding your range since things seem to have gotten a bit tougher in the Missoula area.

Thanks Gale, no fist pump but definitely a big smile! Yep, things are a bit tougher in Missoula but still some good places to try. This town was about 5 1/2 hrs from where I live so probably won't be back unless I can spend a few days there.

You Montana guys find WAY too many silver dollars. 7 is more than your fair share ! Be nice and share some with the rest of us, eh ? :foottap:

You Montana guys find WAY too many silver dollars. 7 is more than your fair share ! Be nice and share some with the rest of us, eh ? :foottap:

Gosh Tom, your usual cut is 30%... how about I send you part of a Silver Dollar?:lol: Actually, this year has been dimes and quarters, so was delighted to pull big shiny out of the ground.

WOW! Must not have been too many mdr's in Montana until you came to town. Unbelievable how much silver you guys dig. I'm sure your skill and tenacity has a lot to do with it as well but jeez louise the locations you hunt all seem untouched. Congrats on ANOTHER silver dollar and some stellar hunting and finds. LTS I am in awe. Good luck, Mark

WOW! Must not have been too many mdr's in Montana until you came to town. Unbelievable how much silver you guys dig. I'm sure your skill and tenacity has a lot to do with it as well but jeez louise the locations you hunt all seem untouched. Congrats on ANOTHER silver dollar and some stellar hunting and finds. LTS I am in awe. Good luck, Mark

Thank you Mark! There are a lot of guys (and a few gals) that detect here, I run into a fair amount of them while out door knocking or visiting with people while doing the curb strips. Definitely some competition out here! And yes, the areas I detect, with owner permission, are 99% untouched... private property. I'm grateful that there is so much of that left in our state and country.

Back
Top Bottom