Gone and lost my Garrett carrot!

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Packing this evening for a camping trip and can’t find my Garrett carrot! Last time I recall using it was…. almost a week ago on the beach of all places. I rarely ever take it to the beach, but it must be laying on the beach at sunset state beach by the campgrounds if anyone wants a few years old semi beat up carrot :laughing:

I must be getting old or something :roll:

I do have a Nokta pulse dive with the land tip, so will try that out I guess, but reached out to Jeff @ Quality MD to get a price - probably just get a replacement.

Never really thought it would happen to me!!!

I've set mine down and forgotten it for a bit, but it "beeps" if not moved or used after a certain amount of time, and I home in and retrieve it! Hah... maybe it is covered with a bit of beach sand, not visible, but still beeping. Might have to bring out the bomb squad to deal with that!

I've set mine down and forgotten it for a bit, but it "beeps" if not moved or used after a certain amount of time, and I home in and retrieve it! Hah... maybe it is covered with a bit of beach sand, not visible, but still beeping. Might have to bring out the bomb squad to deal with that!

I’m guessing it fell out of my pouch at some point, but if I had left it laying in the sand, I bet the beeps wouldn’t be audible over the ocean noise but that’s a funny thought. At least it was a few years old.

I lost a Vibraprobe at a local park quite a few years back and didn't realize it until about an hour later . I went back and hunted for it for a couple of hours but It was gone. I've lost a few things over the years . I have become more careful and will several times during a trip check to make sure I have everything . When I get back to the car I do another check before I drive away .I've gotten terrible about misplacing things around the house though but luckily I eventually find them , sometimes it takes days . One thing good about detecting is you more than break even finding stuff others have lost . You might call it a Karmic compensation . :lol:

I lost a Vibraprobe at a local park quite a few years back and didn't realize it until about an hour later . I went back and hunted for it for a couple of hours but It was gone. I've lost a few things over the years . I have become more careful and will several times during a trip check to make sure I have everything . When I get back to the car I do another check before I drive away .I've gotten terrible about misplacing things around the house though but luckily I eventually find them , sometimes it takes days . One thing good about detecting is you more than break even finding stuff others have lost . You might call it a Karmic compensation . :lol:

Yeah I’m usually really good about it too, so I guess I needed this to put me back on that track.

Told my wife and she said that was unlike me, that I was usually really good about that kind of thing.

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve lost around four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is why i have a keyring reel that attaches my pin pointer to my body.....or i would lose it allllll the time.

Aw man sorry to hear that GS. At least you had a back up. I think maybe its time for a lanyard. I have have been thinking of getting one. About a year so back I was hunting a fair sized park when back at the truck I did an equipment check only to realize I had lost my carrot. Retracing my way back to the last hole(at the other end of the park ) luckily I found it right next to the plug. Apparently I forgot to put it away. And have had to search once or twice for my lesche also. I thinks it time I'm going to order one. Good luck, Mark

Mine is tethered to me now. Once before I left it lay in high grass and if not for the occasional beep I would not have found it.

Steve

SS I hear ya about misplacing things and thats after I think I'll put it somewhere I won't forget. I'm starting to write things down. I guess at our age the definition of "getting lucky" is remembering what you went in the other room to get. If I had memory medicine I would probably forget to take it:lol: One day at a time brother, one day at a time. Take care, Mark

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve lost around four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch!!!

this is why i have a keyring reel that attaches my pin pointer to my body.....or i would lose it allllll the time.

That’s something I forgot about even doing - for the beach maybe a necessity. Thanks for the tip.

Aw man sorry to hear that GS. At least you had a back up. I think maybe its time for a lanyard. I have have been thinking of getting one. About a year so back I was hunting a fair sized park when back at the truck I did an equipment check only to realize I had lost my carrot. Retracing my way back to the last hole(at the other end of the park ) luckily I found it right next to the plug. Apparently I forgot to put it away. And have had to search once or twice for my lesche also. I thinks it time I'm going to order one. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark - a lanyard will be standard equipment if I ever take one to the beach again. I like the coil lanyard that came with my pulse dive - I’ll look for another like that.

Mine is tethered to me now. Once before I left it lay in high grass and if not for the occasional beep I would not have found it.

Steve

I now feel stupid for not having tethered it to my rig, thanks guys :laughing:

I just bought a replacement from Jeff @ Quality MD, he’s a great person! I’ll go look for a tether now!

I'm slightly paranoid about leaving anything at a hunt site so I have a habit of after loading up the car to go thru my equipment and doublecheck everything is indeed in the car, especially the smaller items like the Garrett carrot, wireless headphones, hand digger, finds pouch, though I do make sure to notice my long handle shovel and detector is also in the car :lol:

I'm slightly paranoid about leaving anything at a hunt site so I have a habit of after loading up the car to go thru my equipment and doublecheck everything is indeed in the car, especially the smaller items like the Garrett carrot, wireless headphones, hand digger, finds pouch, though I do make sure to notice my long handle shovel and detector is also in the car :lol:

It's not being paranoid, it's being smart!

It's not being paranoid, it's being smart!

I agree, it is indeed being smart, I just put it in a funny way :laughing:

(though I guess being "slightly" paranoid about not wanting to leave equipment means you are likely more apt to remember to check :lol:)

.....but again, after just now checking the dictionary definition the word does tend to have a stronger meaning than I intended so it was likely not the best choice of words :lol:

Holster and carrot.jpg
I'm pretty new and Stetam has been guiding me along on a lot of things and he recommended this rig same as he has so I bought this one....Little springy lanyard thing never lets you set it down....Thanks Steve

Yup I’m usually really thorough and all that but just lost it this time. Rarely take it to the beach too (like never) so maybe part of it.

Got my new pointer today (delayed delivery due to wildfire too near us). Thanks to Jeff @ Quality Metal Detectors (again)

Did two dips in plasti-dip.

Lanyard will be here soon.

edit to add: two dips and didn’t like a bubble under the tip - not sure why it was there, so peeled the tip coating off while it was soft, did 3 more dips on the tip, went in at an angle to try and prevent any air pockets, seemed to do the trick and I’m happy with it.

Attachments

• 962BD519-9558-4AD9-9C7F-BDB013FC68E2.jpg
    962BD519-9558-4AD9-9C7F-BDB013FC68E2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 3AA4A5A2-6558-4107-B809-BC4E44E33B30.jpg
    3AA4A5A2-6558-4107-B809-BC4E44E33B30.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

I lost a brand new lesche digging tool. It had never been used. In fact it has never been out of the house but for the life of me i can not find it.

I bought it just in case i ever broke my old one;l
but i do lose probes when dirt fishing;

lost my Garrett Carrott briefly on a hunt. Was about 400 yards down slope when I missed it. Had to trudge back up to last signal and found it along. Since then I have attached a plastic coiled lanyard to the pinpointer and my belt. That was 5 years ago, and have never lost it. When I get up, I am reminded that I have something attached to me that I don't wish to lose.

That stinks! Sorry! Have had to go back and locate my PP a few times over the years where it either got left next to a dig or fell out of my pack.

Back
Top Bottom