Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 PM

Default Nox coil ears broke under warranty, worth sending in or fixing myself?

Was on the beach today when i looked down and realized my coil ear was broken and sticking up, no idea when it happened but both sides cracked. I am considering just trying to piece it back together with JB weld but im not sure if this will void the warranty or if it would just be better to send it back and get it fixed anyways. I know many nox users have had this problem and im wondering how you have all dealt with it. If anyone has recently had to use the PA service center and knows how quick I could expect my coil back id love to know.

Happy hunting

Old 07-19-2021, 08:16 PM
Supporter

I’d probably send it in and get a new one.

There’s a member on here torquemaster that makes a 3D printed coil stiffener that doubles as a zip tie able ear replaced too.

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2021 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $25.13 ($1105.57), Silver coins: 8 (50), Wheats: 16 (159), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (94), Rings: 11 (246), Oldest Coins: 1919,20 wheats, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 07-19-2021, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
I’d probably send it in and get a new one.

There’s a member on here torquemaster that makes a 3D printed coil stiffener that doubles as a zip tie able ear replaced too.
I do have a coil stiffener with zip ties on my coil, somehow the ear actually broke with it on, but as of now its holding the coil well enough to swing without needing a repair.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Definitely send it back. Minelab will make good on it. Maybe don't mention the stiffrner as that could void the warranty. Good luck, Mark

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

If for no other reason, send it back to Minelab to make them pay the price for their poorly designed coil.

The more money they lose on warranty repairs, the more motivated they'll be to design their products the right way, the first time.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by nelsondetecting View post
Was on the beach today when i looked down and realized my coil ear was broken and sticking up, no idea when it happened but both sides cracked. I am considering just trying to piece it back together with JB weld but im not sure if this will void the warranty or if it would just be better to send it back and get it fixed anyways. I know many nox users have had this problem and im wondering how you have all dealt with it. If anyone has recently had to use the PA service center and knows how quick I could expect my coil back id love to know.

Happy hunting
Without question, send it back!

Old 08-02-2021, 12:31 AM

Smile

your turn around i read is about 2 weeks

Old 08-02-2021, 06:16 AM
Supporter

I have had this happen on two 11" coils and a 15" already and now use stiffeners on all three factory size coils. I have also used them for control pods which takes a little longer. The process is easy enough. Contact them via email and send them pictures of damage including serial numbers. They will contact you with a return goods number and you ship it to the address given and will get a replacement.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:56 AM

To be honest, I don't think stiffeners provided much added strength when they are zip tied on...My coil was coming out of warranty so I have epoxied the stiffener in place with lots of JB Weld, and it seems a much better job..

Old 08-02-2021, 03:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Pete e View post
To be honest, I don't think stiffeners provided much added strength when they are zip tied on...My coil was coming out of warranty so I have epoxied the stiffener in place with lots of JB Weld, and it seems a much better job..
JB Weld will fix almost anything...