Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

Default Coiltek 10x5

I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11". Better at handling EMI?

Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1865 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 111, 2021 silver coins: 17

Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11". Better at handling EMI?
I've used the 10x5" Coiltek in trashy parks, sports fields, and a ghost town and it is amazing.

I haven't noticed any depth loss compared to the 11" coil at all. Of course, my ground is highly mineralized, so I can't run the 11" or the 10x5" at full sensitivity, but the Coiltek has surprized me at how deep it goes. I routinely hit 8-10" targets and some beyond that.

The separation is better than the 11" (which has great separation), in fact I haven't put my 11" back on since I got the 10x5" coil. It just plucks good tones out of the trash and you'll know when you hit a good target. I'm very happy with it.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CPT_GhostLight View post
I've used the 10x5" Coiltek in trashy parks, sports fields, and a ghost town and it is amazing.

I haven't noticed any depth loss compared to the 11" coil at all. Of course, my ground is highly mineralized, so I can't run the 11" or the 10x5" at full sensitivity, but the Coiltek has surprized me at how deep it goes. I routinely hit 8-10" targets and some beyond that.

The separation is better than the 11" (which has great separation), in fact I haven't put my 11" back on since I got the 10x5" coil. It just plucks good tones out of the trash and you'll know when you hit a good target. I'm very happy with it.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1865 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 111, 2021 silver coins: 17

Old 07-24-2021, 11:06 PM
Elite Member

I used the 10x5 for a few hours Friday evening at a place I have hunted several times. So far it does separate better, but for whatever reason I was not hearing any deeper targets like I usually do with the 11" . Maybe 5" was the deepest I dug anything. Most was shallow 3"-4". It does seem to false easier than the stock 11" does on iron nails. I dug some nails I would never dig with the 11" that sounded pretty good.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 PM
Supporter

Keep us updated, inquiring minds want to know! Thank you

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2021 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $25.13 ($1105.57), Silver coins: 8 (50), Wheats: 16 (159), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (94), Rings: 11 (246), Oldest Coins: 1919,20 wheats, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 07-25-2021, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
I used the 10x5 for a few hours Friday evening at a place I have hunted several times. So far it does separate better, but for whatever reason I was not hearing any deeper targets like I usually do with the 11" . Maybe 5" was the deepest I dug anything. Most was shallow 3"-4". It does seem to false easier than the stock 11" does on iron nails. I dug some nails I would never dig with the 11" that sounded pretty good.
A few things that were suggested to me that helped get the 10x5" coil optimized was to do a "FP" Factory Reset with the 10x5 connected, bump up the F2 iron bias to handle iron falsing (I run F2 between 6-9 depending on conditions) and if you're not in highly mineralized soil, you can bump up the sensitivity to increase depth.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by longbow62: I ordered one of these last night. How about a depth report? Hoping I won't lose much compared to the stock 11".
I don't use that detector, but I do, and have, used a comparable search coil. I have a factory 5X9DD open-frame coil on my Nokta / Makro Simplex + and it stays mounted full time. I enjoy its a performance for most locations over the stock 11" round DD. Slightly less depth, but very functional.

I also had the same size 5X9 DD on a Nokta FORS CoRe and Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi and they provided similar in-the-field performance. Better separation as would be expected for a mid-size elliptical coil with very acceptable depth-of-detection. I also currently have the 5X9 DD for my Nokta Relic which also works well in moderately littered site, and like the others mentioned, I use it when I don't have a smaller coil mounted for dense trash, and I seldom opt for their standard 7X11 or round 11" coils.

My XP ORX also has their 5X9 DD mounted full-time and, like my other models, the performance afield is very decent.

Originally Posted by longbow62: Better at handling EMI?
With all models mentioned above, Yes, I generally experience less to very little, if any, EMI when hunting the same challenged locations with a larger-size coil. Matter-of-fact, I only have one model with a bigger coil mounted for use in plowed fields, a beach, or other wide-open / sparse-target locations and that's an 8X11 'Raider' coil. Most of the time I am using a smaller-size coil, roughly 5" to 6" to handle the dense Iron debris where I often search, or a mid-size coil for the moderately-littered areas. Those would be my 5X8 DD 'Ripper' or the 5X9 DD coils described above.

As for Sensitivity settings, for over five decades I have operated at maximum Sensitivity, reducing it only if desired to reduce any EMI instability, if present at any location.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... or ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Detector Outfit: An assortment of favorite detector makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Thinking hard about getting this coil. I'm going to wait another month and see what happens with Nokta and their SMF.