Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 06-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Mom's Stash of Coins / Cash (pic heavy)

So my mother has this huge stash of coins and old cash that I have started to look into. I need to really catalog it and separate things on a later date. But here are some brief shots, does anything really stick out? Maybe retire now on? I looked up a few here and there it it mostly looks like things are face value. Theres also bags of 60's half dollar and dollar coins. (you should be able to click on the photos and make them larger)

PHOTOS HIGH Def Link

Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Definitely worth more than face value. The silver coins are worth a minimum of the silver melt value, and that is not counting collector values. Here is a website that I like to use to determine silver melt value: CoinApps Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator. (This does not tell you additional collector value.)

From my personal experience, non-key-date silver coins usually go for 1.2 - 2 times melt value.

Values of some other coins you have pictured (prices are approximate of non-key-date coins with a readable date):
  • IHPs: $2
  • Buffs: $2
  • V Nickels: $3
  • Shield Nickels: $5
  • Eisenhower Dollars: $2

Mathew 6:19-21 ~ 2019 Clad: 119 Coins ($07.29)
Totals: 519 Clad Coins ($33.44) ~ 1 Wheat Cent ($0.01)
2 Foreign Coins ($0.06) ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer

Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll start checking dates. Any recommended sources online for the good ones?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Coin values are based on Condition and how many were minted. Most silver coins will be worth metl value or slightly above. However the more scarce the coin the higher the value.

I personally keep a copy of ":The Official Red Book" on hand. It is a guide of United States Coins. it is by R. S Yeoman.

Just remember that all those coins most likely came from circulation and will have some wear. Wear decreases the value of coins unless they are from a very limited mintage.

Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
Coin values are based on Condition and how many were minted. Most silver coins will be worth metl value or slightly above. However the more scarce the coin the higher the value.

I personally keep a copy of ":The Official Red Book" on hand. It is a guide of United States Coins. it is by R. S Yeoman.

Just remember that all those coins most likely came from circulation and will have some wear. Wear decreases the value of coins unless they are from a very limited mintage.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the book title. I get the wear and tear, Im more looking for the info on what is the "rare" stuff that would have the real value.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

The red book will list the number of coins of each type and how many came from each mint. You will be able to readily determine how scarce a coin might be.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:17 PM

Awesome, thank you!