Decent pinpointer $100 or less

Metal Pig

Forum Supporter
I need a new (or used) pinpointer, but being that I just bought 2 new regular detectors totalling almost $800, I've really got to go light with my next purchase. I've looked at pinpointers on Ebay for several days. I wanted the full Pulsedive package but I really won't be able to afford it right now unless I just buy the wand first and the coil later. That is a definate possibility. I've also seen the following units for around the price margin I'm bound by.

Nokta Pointer (base model)
XP MI-4
Fisher F-pulse
Garret AT

My options are very limited and I should have mentioned that I really want a waterproof unit. I want it to be good to about 6ft. I'm not a diver but I will want to look in some creeks with some fairly deep swimming holes, or possibly in the surf at some point.

If anyone can think of anything to add to my short-list, please do. Otherwise, of what I listed what would be the best? Personally I am leaning toward either Nokta. Also, I know some people will think some of these for $100 or less is dreaming, but no...I've seen them mildly used for that and its not impossible if you're willing to wake up and bid at 3am, etc!

A little help would be appreciated. And if any of these is considered a "bad" choice for any reason, please lay it on me. Thanks! :roll:

Last edited:
If you are using the green wireless headphones then I would definitely get the pulsedive. I love the fact that it connects to my headphones and makes the pinpointer easy to hear.

Given a choice of a mildly used one (sight unseen) from ebay or $25 or $30 more for new in the box with warranty, i would keep saving up for new.

Buy the best, you only cry once. I have the Garrett AT and it does work well.

I bought a cheap pinpointer when I started. I was lucky that it worked OK but it wasn't great. I looked at used but as the guy before me said the price on a quality used pinpointer is often just $25 or $30 less than a new one. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Fisher F-Pulse. WOW! Going from a cheap to a quality pinpointer is the best upgrade I've made since I began detecting. I've upgraded detectors twice, upgraded my digging tool and shove and even my finds pouch... but by far the biggest impact to my success has been the money spent on a quality pinpointer. It makes finding the target so much easier it is well worth it.

With the inexpensive detectors these days I'm surprised there isn't a quality inexpensive pinpointer on the market. But there doesn't seem to be.

Stay as far away as possible for those pieces of Chinese made junk that they advertised as being garret and sell CHEAp. Cheap is what you will get. they are no where even close to the same quality. A used AT would be in your price range and a far better investment.

I have a couple of the GP-Pointers from Amazon. (around $30) They are 3+ years old and have worked fine for me. Detection range is about 1.5 inches. I just got an F-Pulse. Much farther detection range and will take some getting used to, but IMHO the GP-Pointer is adequate as well as inexpensive. Just don't submerge it.

If I needed a new pointer, I'd get the Nokta. From what I've seen online, it's a very good pinpointer, even if it costs $110-$130, like most other pinpointers from brand name companies. Yet it costs less than $90.

Assuming I could get by with used, I'd get the XP Mi-4. Why? Because it has closing range (aka: ratcheting) that rivals the White's TRX. However, it's still available for sale for a price within your budget. It also have excellent adjustability options.

The Fisher F-Pulse is a good option, as it has excellent depth capability. It also uses AA batteries, which for me, is a plus. However, it's more expensive than the Mi-4 and it had a rough history of glitching when it was first released. My understanding is that the glitching has been fixed, but at a cost of slightly reduced sensitivity (yet still maintains its sensitivity edge). However, it's closing range (ratcheting) ability is inferior to the White's TRX or the XP Mi-4. If you need a PI pinpointer, the F-Pulse is your best option within your budget, though.

The Garrett AT (aka: Carrot) is a great option, too. But it doesn't have the ratcheting (closing range) that XP Mi-4 has.

If you're wondering what ratcheting (closing range) is, see this video and go to the 3:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhFyLcXPH3k

If I needed a new pointer, I'd get the Nokta. From what I've seen online, it's a very good pinpointer, even if it costs $110-$130, like most other pinpointers from brand name companies. Yet it costs less than $90.

Assuming I could get by with used, I'd get the XP Mi-4. Why? Because it has closing range (aka: ratcheting) that rivals the White's TRX. However, it's still available for sale for a price within your budget. It also have excellent adjustability options.

The Fisher F-Pulse is a good option, as it has excellent depth capability. It also uses AA batteries, which for me, is a plus. However, it's more expensive than the Mi-4 and it had a rough history of glitching when it was first released. My understanding is that the glitching has been fixed, but at a cost of slightly reduced sensitivity (yet still maintains its sensitivity edge). However, it's closing range (ratcheting) ability is inferior to the White's TRX or the XP Mi-4. If you need a PI pinpointer, the F-Pulse is your best option within your budget, though.

The Garrett AT (aka: Carrot) is a great option, too. But it doesn't have the ratcheting (closing range) that XP Mi-4 has.

If you're wondering what ratcheting (closing range) is, see this video and go to the 3:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhFyLcXPH3k

I am finding that the F-Pulse is very close to the TRX in detection distance to the TRX, even with the side detection. I carry both units and can't be happier.

I am finding that the F-Pulse is very close to the TRX in detection distance to the TRX, even with the side detection. I carry both units and can't be happier.

That's my impression. But the F-Pulse lacks the TRX's closing range (ratcheting).

Thanks everyone! I'm still in limbo but getting a better idea of I'll probably get. Leaning toward the F-Pulse or Pulse Dive when I can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom