Not sure what this round heavy thing is?

Oldfarm

Hello, I’m new to metal detecting and have been at it about a week. So far found 30+ wheats with the oldest being 1913. Also found 2 mercury dimes a 41 and 42. The strangest thing was a Philippines 1 centavos from 1930, no idea how that got into our farm yard in central Ky. All this has been in a 30’ x 30’ area in front of our house. What I need help with is this round heavy puck like item. I’m guessing lead? Any idea what it’s for?

Attachments

• 50BB1A8D-6D47-42FD-889E-76A326D2143F.jpeg
    50BB1A8D-6D47-42FD-889E-76A326D2143F.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 7F146213-B535-4BB4-8AFF-35DCD7DE9AAC.jpeg
    7F146213-B535-4BB4-8AFF-35DCD7DE9AAC.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 419
I know! and that’s just our front yard. Still have another 75acres of the farm to cover.

The Philippines coin may have come back from the Pacific during WWII. A lot of guys brought coins back as souvenirs.

Cliff

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that might be a possibility, though it would have been a 10 year old coin at the time of the war. On the puck thing, could it be silver? A nice 2lb chunk?

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that might be a possibility, though it would have been a 10 year old coin at the time of the war. On the puck thing, could it be silver? A nice 2lb chunk?
That's true but I don't know what the turn over rate of coins was at that time. It's not uncommon to get a 10 year old coin in change now.

Cliff

The Philippines coin may have come back from the Pacific during WWII. A lot of guys brought coins back as souvenirs.

Cliff

Funny - I was detecting the yard at my family farm with my 5 year old. I got a great signal and pointed it out for him, thinking it was likely a clad coin. He walk over to me with a coin - a 1943 Australian penny. About the size of a quarter. I assumed the same thing regarding WW2 Pacific theater souvenir.

No idea what the puck is. Sounds like you will have a lot of fun hunting your place. Living near a navy base, I have found several coins from the Philippines. Talk about coins as war souvenirs... I hunted a small lawn that had 2 German WWII era coins, one French coin, and one from Greece. I bet Dad got back from the war and gave the trinkets to his kids who then lost them in the yard for me to find.

Is the puck soft? If so, it’s very likely lead. Could have been used to make balls for a musket/muzzleloader or fishing weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies! No doubt the Philippines coin has an interesting story to end up so far from home. The puck thing can be scratched with a knife though it it does not seem too overly soft. It does have FRM stamped on the top.

Give us a couple more pics of the back and front. That looks vaguely like a sword hand guard. But if it is lead, hand guards were brass.

Looks like a lead plug for something. The letters also look cast in place when it was made with a more modern font. I wouldn't think it would be older than the 1950s

thanks for the replys! If it was plumbing related that would make sense in this area most indoor plumbing was installed in the 1950s

The lead is how it would be bought from a store. It should have a weight on it. It came in 10 or 20-pound ingots and they would cut it for the amount the buyer wanted. The Philippine coin I agree likely came back from WWII. My grandfather brought back Philippine coins far older than that from his navy experiences 1944,45.

Back
Top Bottom