Newbie looking to buy an underwater detector... Suggestions on model and company

stryder222

Hey guys, I have played around with detecting with a friend of mine and now I am looking at getting my own unit that I can use in the ocean at the beach as well as while scuba diving. I am looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter because I am hoping to do some searching on the beaches in Colombia South America of which I am told there is a lot of trash since nobody else is doing this. It appears that the Sea Hunter will discriminate pull tabs and yet still find gold rings. So I am looking for comments and suggestion about that model or others that people would suggest as well as which website is the best to order it from. I have been looking at kellyco as well as metaldetectors. com. Thanks guys, BK

Get a Minelab Equinox 600 or 800, You can dive up to 10'. Check the out. I have one and love it . I don't dive , but hunt land, dry sand, wet sand, and low surf, never had a problem . I also use a Tesoro Sand Shark for deeper water, But I do dig a lot of junk.

Get a Minelab Equinox 600 or 800, You can dive up to 10'. Check the out. I have one and love it . I don't dive , but hunt land, dry sand, wet sand, and low surf, never had a problem . I also use a Tesoro Sand Shark for deeper water, But I do dig a lot of junk.

Scuba with an Equinox? Very bad idea... it is only waterproof to 10' and it is actually a fairly fragile machine.

O.P. Garrett Sea Hunter II is a P.I. machine, and really does not discriminate much at all, and definitely not what you want on trash infested hunts.

For the type of detecting you are talking about, I think your best choice is a Fisher CZ-21. It is VERY well built; is 2 tone, 2 freq, and has a disc that can eliminate most trash. If you try to disc out pull-tabs with pretty much any machine, you will missing gold rings.

CZ-21 is watertight to depths well beyond what you are likely to dive, and the box can be belt-mounted, the shaft shortened, and can be used on deep dives. The headphones are wired and fully waterproof to the same depth as the machine.

If you have the money, go for an Excalibur II. They are completely submersible up to 66 feet. While they advertise Equinox's as being waterproof, I've heard of too many stories of the machines leaking. I have a Nox 600 and would never submit my MD to repeated and long hunts underwater. I've heard good things about the Garrett Sea Hunter too and is much less expensive (but in my opinion not as good a detector). It is a pulse induction MD so there is no discrimination...you'll dig everything. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

If you have the money, go for an Excalibur II. They are completely submersible up to 66 feet. While they advertise Equinox's as being waterproof, I've heard of too many stories of the machines leaking. I have a Nox 600 and would never submit my MD to repeated and long hunts underwater. I've heard good things about the Garrett Sea Hunter too and is much less expensive (but in my opinion not as good a detector). It is a pulse induction MD so there is no discrimination...you'll dig everything. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

I owned a Sea hunter 2, I dipped it in but not deep. Yep, you have to dig everything with pulse induction đź‘Ž

The Sea Hunter II actually does have a bit of discriminate available (there are y-tube videos on how well or not, it works), and that is unusual for any P.I. detector. The problem is, as you can see in one of the demo vids, that it isn't very effective, and you lose depth if turned on. That defeats the purpose of using a P.I., IMO.

I have and use both a Sea Hunter II, and a CZ-20 (same detector as it's replacement CZ-21 except the pinpoint button has been changed from a push button, to a touch-sensitive capacitance type). At popular resort beaches, the PI will drive you crazy with all the trash you're going to recover, and I can tell you, when you are recovering trash in waist to chest deep ocean, you will be worn out before noon.

I MUCH prefer my CZ-20 for wet to in-water beaches. You will still have to recover a lot of targets that fall into that gray area of "pull-tab gold", unless you're happy just finding coins.

The Ex-cal is an excellent machine, but you still have to deal with questionable targets. I also think it is a bit more problematic. I have a friend who keeps two of them, since one always seems to be back for service, re fine wire strands in the cables, that break, and issues with leaks. He loves the detector, but also has told me that when Minelab does a repair, IF you want it warranted against leaks after you get it back, you need to pay a (significantly higher fee for that).

I've never owned an Excal, so no personal experience there. I have a Sovereign for dry sand hunts, which is the same detector circuitry but in a control that is not waterproof.

Scuba with an Equinox? Very bad idea... it is only waterproof to 10' and it is actually a fairly fragile machine.

O.P. Garrett Sea Hunter II is a P.I. machine, and really does not discriminate much at all, and definitely not what you want on trash infested hunts.

For the type of detecting you are talking about, I think your best choice is a Fisher CZ-21. It is VERY well built; is 2 tone, 2 freq, and has a disc that can eliminate most trash. If you try to disc out pull-tabs with pretty much any machine, you will missing gold rings.

CZ-21 is watertight to depths well beyond what you are likely to dive, and the box can be belt-mounted, the shaft shortened, and can be used on deep dives. The headphones are wired and fully waterproof to the same depth as the machine.
I know it's a bad Idea, never said to use it for diving. I also have a PI Sand shark. The Fisher CZ-21 would be the one I'd go with. I don't use my Nox in high surf, but for dry, wet and low surf line , I think it's a great machine.

Hey guys, I have played around with detecting with a friend of mine and now I am looking at getting my own unit that I can use in the ocean at the beach as well as while scuba diving. I am looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter because I am hoping to do some searching on the beaches in Colombia South America of which I am told there is a lot of trash since nobody else is doing this. It appears that the Sea Hunter will discriminate pull tabs and yet still find gold rings. So I am looking for comments and suggestion about that model or others that people would suggest as well as which website is the best to order it from. I have been looking at kellyco as well as metaldetectors. com. Thanks guys, BK

I know it's a bad Idea, never said to use it for diving. I also have a PI Sand shark. The Fisher CZ-21 would be the one I'd go with. I don't use my Nox in high surf, but for dry, wet and low surf line , I think it's a great machine.

Well the OP stated in his post that he was looking for ocean detecting & scuba diving. I thought you advised to get a NOX 600 or 800 and he can dive with it.

My advice to him was simply that it would be a bad idea (for the NOX) to be used in the surf or for diving, as there are better choices for his intended use.

The Minelab Excalibur II is rated to 200 feet. Built for the individual who scuba dives.

Excal or CZ 21 for saltwater diving. On dry land, they will work but I would not enjoy it very much.

For shallow surf, freshwater and basic gentle water hunting the Equinox will do fine if you treat it nice. If it leaks, you have a three year no questions asked warranty. It works great on dry land and beaches too.

Nokta Makro has their Simplex, Kruzer and Anfibio detectors which can be submerged in salt water and freshwater. Deep scuba diving, nope. Shallow snorkeling in gentle surf should be fine. Great dry land detectors too. They also make the hand held Pulsedive which is like a pinpointer with a coil.

If you want a diving detector that can tell the difference between a pull-tab and gold jewelry, you really are newbie. Most dry land detectors with tons of bells and whistles which also cost tons of money can’t do that even 50% of the time.

You can get a Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer which is good to 15ft for about $636. It doesn't have simultaneous multifrequency like the Nox but it is selectable multifrequency and is a very sturdy machine. Its a little cheaper than the Nox 800. I also look at it like this: Your still getting a powerful machine but it may be inevitable that any detector will eventually leak and die underwater. Just yesterday I saw an otherwise $1500 Minelab Excalibur PI unit with battery destroyed by leaking. The guy started the bidding $250! Personally I'm not overly attracted to Minelab other than the simultaneous multi capability. I'm not crazy about the interface, the look, the ergos....all that....IMHO. I would definately give one a try if I found a steal on one. Maybe I'd even be somewhat impressed, but in general I don't buy into the hype. Being a musician I've seen that same trend with synthesizers, particularly Nord products. They are good, but so are many others which are cheaper and actually have more character and specialization. I'm not a complete radical, but I tend to strongly resist market hype especially when it's still fairly new.

Just yesterday I saw an otherwise $1500 Minelab Excalibur PI unit with battery destroyed by leaking.

Just want to point out that the Excalibur is not a PI machine. It is BBS which is multiple frequency. For pure water use, it's really the best out there IMO.

Just want to point out that the Excalibur is not a PI machine. It is BBS which is multiple frequency. For pure water use, it's really the best out there IMO.

Thanks! I could SWEAR I read somewhere Excalibur is P.I.. Maybe there's more than one version....just like with other detectors?

Thanks for the suggestion! I did end up getting the Nox 600 along with the Nokta Makro Pulse Dive which looks like a good combo.
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions!
BK

Thanks! I could SWEAR I read somewhere Excalibur is P.I.. Maybe there's more than one version....just like with other detectors?

Minelad only makes one model of the Excalibur II and it is Not a PI machine It is multi frequency and rated for scuba diving to 200 feet. It has discriminate and Pin Point (all Metal) I looked long and hard when i was looking for a waterproof machine and the Excalibur II won. It is an excellent machine and has been very good to me.

Back
Top Bottom