War of 1812 Militia Belt Buckle?

off the iron

Elite Member
Found this buckle late Dec 2020 in an open public field. I've been told its a War of 1812 belt buckle. I'm clueless about military relics. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3. December 28, 2020. Tyngsboro_Cummins Rd Concervation Area. War of 1812 Belt Buckle.jpg
    3. December 28, 2020. Tyngsboro_Cummins Rd Concervation Area. War of 1812 Belt Buckle.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 814
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 810
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 813
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 753
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 815
Congratulations!
I haven’t cleaned it other than a light brushing with a soft bristle tooth brush. I don’t plan on doing anything else to it.
Wise move. It looks great just like that. I really like the patina.

First let me say, that is a fantastic find and I am jealous. To give you a definitive identification of your plate, I am quoting the book "American Military Belt Plates" by Michael O'Donnell and Duncan Campbell. Your plate appears on page 109 and is identified as a "Waist Belt Plate, Common Militia Plate, New York, ca. 1830-1840." It would have had an attachment bar on the back, and you can see indications of where it was attached.

We find those all the time here in Idaho. I've found probably a couple dozen, so many that it's pretty ho-hum by now. But for you easterners it's probably a decent find. Sorry, but nothing to get too hyped about. I usually just throw them in with all the nails and pull tabs.

NOT

In fact, you can send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Okay, I'll admit it, that's an amazing find. Is my envy showing through? Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Absolutely beautiful find. That's a bucket lister for sure. Congrats.

FYI, not that it matters, but I second your decision to not clean it any more than you did. The only thing cleaning it can do is reduce value and eliminate certain collectors from making offers if you ever decided to part with it. It can ALWAYS be cleaned. But once cleaned it can never regain its patina when found. Kudos to you.

Back
Top Bottom