Did I get Gypped

LaserDan

Hey all,

I just went to pickup a White's 6000/Di PRO SL from a guy on facebook marketplace. I did a lot of research before buying this, as it will be my first detector.

When I met up with the guy, it turned out that it did not come with a coil, as it had an aftermarket coil he wanted to keep.. In the talked him down to $130 for it. On top of that, when I got home, I discovered the battery holder was missing from the box.

Did I get gypped? He seemed knowledgeable and suggested I could pick up a coil similar to the stock setup for no more than $60 or $80.

Does anyone have any recommendations for coils? Does anyone, no how I can rig a battery for this?

Thanks

Hey all,

I just went to pickup a White's 6000/Di PRO SL from a guy on facebook marketplace. I did a lot of research before buying this, as it will be my first detector.

When I met up with the guy, it turned out that it did not come with a coil, as it had an aftermarket coil he wanted to keep.. In the talked him down to $130 for it. On top of that, when I got home, I discovered the battery holder was missing from the box.

Did I get gypped? He seemed knowledgeable and suggested I could pick up a coil similar to the stock setup for no more than $60 or $80.

Does anyone have any recommendations for coils? Does anyone, no how I can rig a battery for this?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Dan and welcome to the Forum and the hobby.

I've had nothing but White's detectors, including a 6000D (not the DI Pro).

Whether you got gypped depends...

... If the machine had no coil or battery holder, how did you know it was working ? Or maybe the seller demonstrated it then removed the coil and battery holder ? Why don't you call the seller to ask if he still has the battery holder, and maybe "forgot" to include it. I think your 6000 DI Pro uses the Battery holder that houses four "C" cells, for a total of 6 volts. I've seen some older posts on different web sites talking about modifying their machine to accept other battery configurations. Others have said they never did like the C-cell packs, due to the weight and expense of C-Cells.

I just looked at the web site for the authorized White's Parts and Repair Company, Centreville Electronics in Virginia. I looked at the their Parts link and don't see the C-cell holder you would need. That's a pretty old machine by now.

Maybe if you called Centreville at the number below, tell them your predicament, they might have a solution for you.

Centreville Electronics
9437 Main Street
Manassas, VA 20110
(888)645-0202
(703)367-7999
centrevilleelectronics.net

... Did you get the Operator's Manual ? If not, here's a link to the online manual available at the Garretts web site (They now own the white's name and patents). https://garrett.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2020-12/Coinmaster_6000-Di_Pro_&_HR_en.pdf

Good luck.

Jim

Jim, thanks for all that. It didn’t actually get tested in front of me. I took a leap of faith because I had already driven over an hour to get it. Everything looks in good condition. I know it’s a 4 c cell battery holder, so I can rig something pretty easy. I’m guessing it’s 6V.

As far as the coil. From what I’ve read so far, it looks like the blue max 950 is what it comes with. Does that seem right?

All’s I need on top of that is a shaft.

Welcome to the hobby Dan and to the Friendly Forum from Wisconsin's tundra. That being said I don't think I would have made that purchase, specially not knowing if it even works. That machine is not a bad machine but you could have had a new entry style machine ready to go for about what your going to have stuck into this one. Really hope this works out for you. Trapper

If you expected a working metal detector and you received 80% of a vintage detector, then yes you got gypped. These days the Minelab Vanquish starting at $199 and the Nokta Simplex at $254 make getting into the hobby is very affordable.

Alright, I found a used blue max 950 on eBay for $60. If everything works out, this could turn out to be a good find. I hooked up a 5V ac adapter to the box to test it, and the battery check is functioning. I have a high capacity battery pack from my 7000 lumen bicycle light, that I think I can modify for the detector. The last thing I need is just the upper and lower rod, which I’ll figure out, once I confirm the detector and coil work.

Alright, I found a used blue max 950 on eBay for $60. If everything works out, this could turn out to be a good find. I hooked up a 5V ac adapter to the box to test it, and the battery check is functioning. I have a high capacity battery pack from my 7000 lumen bicycle light, that I think I can modify for the detector. The last thing I need is just the upper and lower rod, which I’ll figure out, once I confirm the detector and coil work.

Sounds like a plan , I hope it works out for you .Maybe the upper and lower rod are interchangeable with the rods from other White's models ?

I should have a coil and shaft and battery case. But you would be better off just buying a vanquish or simplex. I have had and used the whites 5900 and 6000 for alot of years and they just don't compare to these newer machines! I believe there is a vanquissh in the for sale section for 200 . You will definitely have a more enjoyable hunt and more treasure at the end of the day.

Going forward, I would recommend buying gear from users of this forum rather than FB or EBay. They seem an honest lot, and especially if the member is around awhile, it seems very unlikely you will be gypped.

As for new gear, consider the sponsors here. I only ever by gear from this forum's sponsors.

I won't buy chit from fle-bay or facebook, I only buy from longterm dealers, and only from retailers on here. I'd rather pay a few cents more to deal with them. Heck there prices are great. I deal with Barts Big boys . Some times a deal from the unkown can cost you. To me it sounds like you got taken pretty bad.

Sounds like a lot of time, money, and effort for an analog machine when a nice simplex is right around the corner. Have you tried contacting him for a refund? If you want, I can call and hang up on the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, sounds like my eagerness got the best of me here. Either way, I'm a tinkerer (spectroscopist by trade) , and have confidence, I'll get this thing working. But Just say, the box does work, and I get the blue max coil; wouldn't this be a good find for $200? I've ran into so many forums and posts about this machine, and how people still love using it.

Outside of detectors being digital these days, has technology really changed that much? In the lab, I often find that analog electronics are more dependable, than their digital counterparts.

Going forward, I would recommend buying gear from users of this forum rather than FB or EBay. They seem an honest lot, and especially if the member is around awhile, it seems very unlikely you will be gypped.

As for new gear, consider the sponsors here. I only ever by gear from this forum's sponsors.

X2. I’ve bought a new detector and a carrot from sponsors on the site. I have purchased 2 used detectors and a backup carrot from members here. I have also sold a detector here. All great transactions, all great to deal with. :yes:

Sounds like a lot of time, money, and effort for an analog machine when a nice simplex is right around the corner. Have you tried contacting him for a refund? If you want, I can call and hang up on the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: That would be satisfying.

I have bought and sold a LOT of stuff on craigslist.....

Always done face to face and never had a problem.

I just have to have something in my hands to see the condition and be sure it works as it should.

But if someone showed me a metal detector with no coil i would probably say no.

And if i got home and discovered no battery box i would be back on his doorstep ASAP looking for a refund.

Back
Top Bottom