• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Advice for cleaning a CSA snake buckle.

Gimmie The Loot

Elite Member
Just wondering how to dust this off a little before putting in a shadow box. I don't want to damage it, just get some dirt off so it will show better. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_201855895~3.jpg
    IMG_20201019_201855895~3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Looks great to me. Sometimes too much cleaning turns out to be a bad thing. That is a spectacular find that will display awesome. (Even with a little dirt)

I wouldn't attempt to clean that at all how it sits. Maybe, just MAYBE, if you want a tad more detail and the dirt clods off (ones on the lower head), just tap them with a tooth pick.

I think lite brushing then rub on renaissance wax, that will make patina just jump right out at you,
I think that is what a museum would do.
Valuable and beautiful find, I would use care whatever you choose.

I do some work at an archaeology dig, in the archaeology lab. When we get artifacts (many of this caliber) in the lab from the field, the first thing we do is clean them to get the dirt off. Nothing aggressive, just water and a soft toothbrush. If I dug it or if it came into the lab, I would clean it with water and a soft toothbrush. After getting the dirt off it could be conserved properly if needed. I know this goes against the other recommendations here and you can make your own decision. I’m just telling you what we would do in the archaeology lab....Good luck

First off, that thing is awesome! Second, I concur with a soft bristled toothbrush and possibly a water rinse. Other than that, I would leave it. Once you remove that old patina, you wont get it back unfortunately. I would try a dry brushing first, then add water only if you feel necessary. Congrats on a great find!

Back
Top Bottom