Did I get Gypped

So, sounds like my eagerness got the best of me here. Either way, I'm a tinkerer (spectroscopist by trade) , and have confidence, I'll get this thing working. But Just say, the box does work, and I get the blue max coil; wouldn't this be a good find for $200? I've ran into so many forums and posts about this machine, and how people still love using it.

Outside of detectors being digital these days, has technology really changed that much? In the lab, I often find that analog electronics are more dependable, than their digital counterparts.

Technology has changed. If your hobby is tinkering and not metal detecting you've made a good deal. Have fun!

I'm not into tinkering. I wouldn't have spent anything on an old machine like that. Especially if it wasn't in working order.

In contrast, I would (and have) dropped $120 on a new set of cornhole bags. Most normal people would call that crazy.

Welcome! I would tinker with the idea of getting your money back. Do some more research on why the latest crop of detectors are better than parts of an outdated model. Best of luck on the return.

As others have said, maybe not the best way to go, however I have made similar impulse / against my better judgment deals - if one is new to something and excited it seems more prone to happen perhaps.

I traded 4 zippo lighters (never smoked) for my first metal detector - a bounty hunter prospector. Put two 9v in it to test it and it wouldn’t turn on. The guy was shocked and said it worked before. I jiggled the batter connectors and it started working :laughing: I was excited to be getting a detector and didn’t care for the lighters at all. So we traded. I went to Radio Shack and bought two new 9v connectors and soldered them into place. Not the best detector by ANY means, but I used that machine for a year, hunting every chance I got and found silver, gold, and lots of other interesting stuff, but most of all had a ton of fun and it got me into a great hobby I have enjoyed ever since.

Good luck getting it up and running if you choose that path, and hope it works out for you!

If you can get it working it's a good detector. My first decent detector was a 6000 Di that I bought new. I found a lot of coins with it. He should have told you what was missing in his ad.

Don't kick yourself in the ass for making a poor ? choice.......have fun fixing your first machine up and be proud of yourself for now having a working detector to enjoy .......Life is winning and losing .......looks like this time you're a winner .......live and learn .....if you zig what I'm zaggin ! Pete

Back
Top Bottom