Only a copper alloy ring, but....

Pete e

Elite Member
Was out yesterday on a dig and my new years lucky streak continues!!...I initially struggled a bit getting decent targets, and I am sure somebody had set my detector to "lead" as even the buttons were evading me.

Things then took a big turn for the better when I uncovered the ring below. People I showed it to were fairly sure it was Roman, and I was elated to say the least, as this was my first Roman ring! Jumping a head a little once I got back home, I checked it against a museum database, and found three very similar examples dated from late Iron Age to early Roman so was very pleased indeed.

Getting back to rest of the dig, and usual buttons then eventually started showing, and along with a nice Viccy farthing, a George V shilling plus a few other bits rounded out a very enjoyable day me me.

A couple of other people had an even better day, with a hoard of bronze age tools being found (two axe heads and a leather punch) and one of the ladies finding a stunning 13th century annular silver brooch that had been gilded gold as well.

So for me, I ve had three outings this year, and silver each time, plus a couple of nice historic artefacts as well so all in all very good start..

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_132537~2.jpg
    IMG_20220123_132537~2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 223
Congrats on the iron age ring, silver and other digs.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Really enjoy the posts of those old UK finds. Just so much history in the ground. We've only got about 160 years of development in our local area, so I'm sure our posted finds just make you folks nod and smile politely. Hope your luck continues to hold.

Thanks Folks...I suppose in the US it really depends where you live...Up in the the north, their was extensive mining of copper by the native tribes leading to the so called "copper culture"...I have a feeling that there are a lot more artefacts from that culture still to be found...When you travel to the southern States, you must also have a chance to look for relics and coins from the Spanish colonial era...

Brilliant find Pete.
Roman items scarce up in Scotland.
They didn't like the weather apparently so after they beat us up a bit they left and walled us in .

Brilliant find Pete.
Roman items scarce up in Scotland.
They didn't like the weather apparently so after they beat us up a bit they left and walled us in .

They are not overly common where I live in North Wales either...This came from over the border about 45 minutes away on an organised FB dig....it's about the only way I can get on decent farm land that's been occupied since before the BA times....

Back
Top Bottom