detector for husband

snoocats

Hi all,
My husband told me he wanted a metal detector for his birthday but I have no idea where to start. Some of them are pricey and I would hate to buy something expensive that is low quality and doesn't work. This would be his first metal detector and he said he would like to bring it to beaches as well as parks. I would prefer to keep the price range below 300, and am hoping there are some decent ones in this price range. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions!

Could you give us an idea of where your husband might use the detector? What will he be looking for? Clad coins, old coins, relics, etc. Ocean beach, old homesites, parks, rivers lakes. Will he be using it under water? Does your husband prefer a light weight detector or does that matter? There will be a lot of good ideas posted here soon and this will help others help you. Thanks for posting.

He would likely want to travel with it so a more light weight detector would be better. We don't live around the ocean but a lakefront beach, but I could see him traveling with it to a saltwater ocean at some point. He wouldn't be diving with it but I could see him maybe dipping it into water at times if there is anything that allows for that. We also have a lot of public parks around us and forests which I think is where he would primarily be using it as the beach is further away. To be honest I am not quite sure what he'd be looking for yet. He just saw someone using one on our last vacation and was inspired to try it. I have messaged him and will respond when he gets back to me about what he would be trying to find.

Update: He said he would be mostly using it on land trying to find relics, coins, jewelry, gold.

Last edited:
Snoocats, welcome to the club. Hope we can help... Not to burst your bubble, but keeping it under 300, even for an entry level set-up, is not going to be easy and could cost more in the long run. Like it did in my case... My wife paid $450 for a "Full set-up" and it was a very low-quality entry-level detector that I had to upgrade later.

Just to give you an idea, she got me the detector, belt, finds bag, Pin-pointer, and digging tool set-up for $450. Within a month, I had to replace the pinpointer for one that actualy worked for $120. Two months later I had to upgrade my detector and that was $650. The worst part was, she tried so hard to get me somthing I would like and use, and I did, but what she got me was so low quality and frustrating to use, I had to replace it with better stuff.

Good on you for doing some research first.

I will not tell you what you should get, but a few things he will need to get started are:
1. Detector
2. Pin Pointer
3. Finds Bag
4. Digger
5. Belt

Now, if my wife was to do it again and I could make her my wish list, this is what I would ask for...
1. Nokta Makro Simplex
2.Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector
3.Gray Ghost New & Improved "Catch-All" Pouch/Belt
4. SE Prospector's Choice 12" Serrated Edge Digger

Headphones!

IMO, headphones are a must. If you get a good detector, it usually comes with them. Headphones are necessary to hear the subtle sounds of the detector - not bother other detectorists in the area, and most importantly not alert other people around to what you are doing, nor disturb their use of the area.

Garrett Ace APEX, Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Simplex.

These are three newer releases by three excellent manufacturers. They are listed as entry level detectors but they are capable of much more. They can include wireless headphones or not depending on the version. Retail prices are between $300 and $500 and they are worth every penny. Their resale value has also stayed very high so far and warranty service is outstanding for all three.

You may find “Best Detector” sites online which claim to know what they are talking about. I would totally disregard those sites. These forums have real information about detectors under $300 and most everyone here would tell you honestly that most under $300 new detectors are a waste of money except for the Simplex without wireless headphones and the Vanquish 440.

Great setup for $220-$320
Detector:
Minelab Vanquish 340- $200
Quest X10- $200
Quest X5- $150
Pinpointer:
Minelab Pro-find 15- $80
Sunpow- $40
Trowel:
Wilcox- $15
Finds pouch:
Garrett (or similar)- $15

Contact a sponsor from top of page and see what they can do.

Last edited:
Google the Notka Simplex+ metal detector. You get a nice package deal for $339, headphones included plus other things. It is waterproof, and not any waterproof problems reported. As far as the other gear he'll want quickly is a good pinpointer, $100 +/- minus. Digging tools can be as simple as $10-20 tools to start. I've used cloth carpenter style nail pouches ever since I started, cheap.

The Simplex+ detector gets high praise from a good friend of mine and that all I'd need to go that way if I was shopping.

Now, if he's hooked on detecting, he will be getting more costly diggers, and such. If detecting doesn't take, he'll know with the first things mentioned. You'll maybe have other gifts to buy him later to add to it if he really enjoys detecting. Hope this helps.

The list posted my MuddyMo is well done. Have fun, let all of us know.

Your husband will like either the Vanquish 440 or the Simplex. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but at that price point, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Good luck to you and I wish your husband luck with his new hobby!

I would definitely recommend the Nokta Simplex + package with the wireless headphones. Have owned a lot of different machines over the years and have a lot of experience in the same type hunting your husband is wanting to do. For the price, I don’t believe you can buy a better detector. It is lightweight, easy to use, waterproof, and performs as well as detectors that cost much more. Nokta/Makro also stands behind their products. I would also recommend the Nokta Pulsedive pinpointer because it connects with the wireless headphones that come in the package. You will get a lot of different opinions on detectors but I am trying to give you an honest opinion from someone who uses this detector almost daily and have been extremely satisfied with its performance. It’s not perfect but for the price is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Google the Notka Simplex+ metal detector. You get a nice package deal for $339, headphones included plus other things. It is waterproof, and not any waterproof problems reported. As far as the other gear he'll want quickly is a good pinpointer, $100 +/- minus. Digging tools can be as simple as $10-20 tools to start. I've used cloth carpenter style nail pouches ever since I started, cheap.

The Simplex+ detector gets high praise from a good friend of mine and that all I'd need to go that way if I was shopping.

Now, if he's hooked on detecting, he will be getting more costly diggers, and such. If detecting doesn't take, he'll know with the first things mentioned. You'll maybe have other gifts to buy him later to add to it if he really enjoys detecting. Hope this helps.

The list posted my MuddyMo is well done. Have fun, let all of us know.

I agree...

I wouldn't fret about it too much I think the Vanquish 440 or the Simplex either one will do what you need. If he really likes detecting he will more than likely upgrade later BUT start small and let HIM decide if he needs to upgrade. Don't try to do that now. Stick close to the price you've set. That's where the smart money is.

Hands down Minelab Vanquish, it's a multi-frequeintcy detector and does great on the beach and land

The Vanquish 540 would be quite a bit more expensive and the 440 has less discrimination segments than the Simplex giving it less accurate ID. The fact that the Simplex is waterproof is big advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh wow thank you all for your responses! It was very informative and I feel like I just avoided buying a junky detector. I didn't even think about how essential headphones and the other items would be. I have decided to go with the simplex package as it is pretty much near the price I was looking for, and will consider adding on other items as anniversary gifts and such if he really takes to the hobby. Once again, thanks! I will probably end up borrowing and testing out the simplex from him myself as well :D

Back
Top Bottom