Don't come to Myrtle beach with your metal scoop!!!

Me thinks that OBN is just trying to be funny. But guess what will happen when others see this ? They will promptly rush out and start swatting hornet's nests. :laughing:

Hey, but a bonk will be justified, will it not? Heh, or make the scoop even heavier by the gold you found! He'll be jealous and startled at the same time...:lol:

And Tom, instead of swatting hornet nests, why don't you tell them to go get some hornet spray? Much more efficient and clean. :lol:

Josh

No

That cop almost hung him from the OC Fishing pear , very territorial , Joe lost one of his Excals with pp that day. The following week , I think I saw that OC cop hunting with it :police::police::police::police::police::jail: only 2 blocks away from me ! I told Joe , when he comes down , I want to meet that cop so we can grapple for Joe's detector back :foottap::friends::nono::pirate2:

That cop almost hung him from the OC Fishing pear , very territorial , Joe lost one of his Excals with pp that day. The following week , I think I saw that OC cop hunting with it :police::police::police::police::police::jail: only 2 blocks away from me !

So he finds the gold you miss? :lol:

Cfm-ct

Not this year , I'm going to clean that beach up in July & August , if there is any fresh drops , they are cheapo 's here Tungsten & Silver is there bling :bling::bling: PS silver is 28 bucks an Oz , better than Felix Zinc's :laughing: woops I have a 615pm low tide hunt , catch you guys later tonght , or tomorrow ! :detector::detector::detector::detector::detector::woot: that's right hunt night ! :p

Last edited:
That cop almost hung him from the OC Fishing pear , very territorial , Joe lost one of his Excals with pp that day. The following week , I think I saw that OC cop hunting with it :police::police::police::police::police::jail: only 2 blocks away from me ! I told Joe , when he comes down , I want to meet that cop so we can grapple for Joe's detector back :foottap::friends::nono::pirate2:

Now I need to call that cop and show him the dictionary. Every heard of irony? Yup, it's when something is Iron-like. :lol:

Josh

The ticket was just for fun, could not ask for a better crew. And the good is... OC Cop, is Commander of the Southern District Police Station,.. right on the board walk. He Loves metal detecting.

These guys really work for their treasure. Gold is a rare sight since they started the beach replenishment program. If they get 8 gold a year now, that is a Great year. A Good reason not to come to OC MD.

Attachments

• 20232163_1493823234018924_7977119086438209064_o.jpg
    20232163_1493823234018924_7977119086438209064_o.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 255
Well OBN

Bad news buddy , cut the grass , than hit the low tide 615 pm hunt , dug every target , a quarter, dime , 3 Felix , and a pin , junk metal 50 blocks , low tide down , high back , to boot , that replenishment sand is mixed with black sand, between that and EMI , the Equinox went nuts , switched settings over 20 times , sloped beach to buddy , hard on a herniated disc , July / August best , anyway got some exercise , bed early , happy hunting . Ps , Maybe we can get Mark out for a hunt , when you come down :laughing: , coin beach didn't have squat , I hunted that last week :no: :hmmm:

Last edited:
This is all over the news in wilmington nc today. People are not happy about it. We are 1.5 hrs from myrtle.

Not one word of metal detecting anywhere though...I would be curious to hear from the locals about what is really the push behind this. I can't imagine MDs are to blame. Most of the patrols in my area are happy we are out there cleaning the beaches, they are much more concerned about drunk college kids and tourists destroying the towns.

This is all over the news in wilmington nc today. People are not happy about it. We are 1.5 hrs from myrtle.

Not one word of metal detecting anywhere though...I would be curious to hear from the locals about what is really the push behind this. I can't imagine MDs are to blame. Most of the patrols in my area are happy we are out there cleaning the beaches, they are much more concerned about drunk college kids and tourists destroying the towns.

I'll be out your way next month :) Don't hog all the gold

.... Want me to keep going????

They will all say the same thing. Parroting each other as these 4 links do . And they are very revealing : None of them say "no digging". It just says "not over 2 ft. deep". Well that's just fine, right ? Because the most that we detect coin-sized objects to, is ... what .... a foot or less ?

And no, I do not consider a sand scoop to be a "shovel". That's why we call them scoops, not shovels. I mean, you can dig a hole with a butter knife, right ? Does that make a butter knife a "shovel" ? No. It's still a butter knife, not a shovel. Same logic for a sand scoop.

So as far as I can see, there is nothing here to prevent any md'r from continuing like he always has before. There's no prohibitions on our hobby at all here.

They will all say the same thing. Parroting each other as these 4 links do . And they are very revealing : None of them say "no digging". It just says "not over 2 ft. deep". Well that's just fine, right ? Because the most that we detect coin-sized objects to, is ... what .... a foot or less ?

And no, I do not consider a sand scoop to be a "shovel". That's why we call them scoops, not shovels. I mean, you can dig a hole with a butter knife, right ? Does that make a butter knife a "shovel" ? No. It's still a butter knife, not a shovel. Same logic for a sand scoop.

So as far as I can see, there is nothing here to prevent any md'r from continuing like he always has before. There's no prohibitions on our hobby at all here.

Like I said before I am not going to be the guinea pig for this not going to find out either. You live in California and the "politics" are different in every area. Your not hunting our beaches to see the "Karen's" cussing us out about !!!!. Before it was our detectors was putting radiation into the ground or it's going to give there kids cancer. This is now my go to winter beach because parking cost anywhere from $2-$4 per hour. In the winter time parking is free. Just letting the guys know you will probably be stopped by the local police department. AND NO they don't know the difference between a shovel or a beach scoop. I know a few guys who are still will be going and if stopped going to tell them it's a job to them and it's NOT a recreational hobby. Like I said it's putting up with the "politics" on every beach. Here it's the rich people who wants it stopped so they can ride there electric bikes on the beach. Mean while the beach is filling up with potheads and crack heads. I remember the days of going to the beach to smell the fresh salt air now it's pothead beach with the smell of pot everywhere. One reason I hunt NC beaches and the reason why I will continue too.

Basically

Those rules are everywhere no holes over 2 foot , fill in your holes , the shovel is a new thing , not a scoop , the police force is thin , or occupied , or doesn't even want to bother you , fill in your holes , clean the beach of trash & metal hazards , did this on the treasure coast of Florida , you will be amazed at the hazards that can hurt the bare foot people down their , any were common since plays a part , as if people cleaned the dog mess up , all the time dogs would be allowed on the beach all year round , I do see changes in the younger kids, they seem to litter more , not good !

I'll be out your way next month :) Don't hog all the gold

Haha nice! Water is already warm and beaches are bumping compared to last yr.

While I agree with this, I don't think the cop who actually will write a ticket for this will buy it. Will a cop actually write a ticket for this is another story...my guess is no.

Like I said before I am not going to be the guinea pig for this not going to find out either.

At least in wilmington beaches, we have all sorts of laws that cops will never fine someone for. For example when they passed no smoking on wrightsville beach the cops actually said 'we aren't going to fine anyone for this'. So is this one of those laws? I would hope so but who knows. My gut tells me they aren't going after you unless there is a problem.

....Will a cop actually write a ticket for this is another story...my guess is no.....

.... My gut tells me they aren't going after you unless there is a problem....

Bingo ! MD'rs will "fret themselves silly" about this . Thinking that there is imminent jail, tickets, and immediate "stink eyes and cops that lurk around every corner wanting to bust our chops". When the reality (Yes, even outside of CA), that cops don't give 2 sh#ts about a "shovel" vs a "scoop". Nor are they running around with rulers measuring to "make sure you haven't reached 2 ft. depth", blah blah.

This is like spitting on sidewalks, or tearing the tag off your mattress: Nobody cares. It's only us md'rs who run around like a chicken with our heads cut off, thinking "everyone hates me". And "everyone's watching me and cares about the doggone thing". When in reality, no one cares one iota about you.

That must be a really peaceful place if the police have resources for shovel enforcement on the beach.

.... if the police have resources for shovel enforcement on the beach.

How much you want to make a bet, that 10 yrs. from now, when the next generation is "looking back" on this, that : There will have NEVER been a "ticket" or any legal action. For anyone who (gasp) took a metal shovel to the beach. :roll: And no one will have "gotten a ticket" d/t their hole went to 25 inches deep. :roll:

But the fastest way to change that (and make sure that this is an all-fired issue, in-need-of-enforcement) is to run around "seeking clarifications" and making a stink, where no stink existed.

How much you want to make a bet, that 10 yrs. from now, when the next generation is "looking back" on this, that : There will have NEVER been a "ticket" or any legal action. For anyone who (gasp) took a metal shovel to the beach. :roll: And no one will have "gotten a ticket" d/t their hole went to 25 inches deep. :roll:

But the fastest way to change that (and make sure that this is an all-fired issue, in-need-of-enforcement) is to run around "seeking clarifications" and making a stink, where no stink existed.

Getting a law passed and even getting some signs posted is fairly cheap but having enforcement staff for that law is a different price entirely. How many non-enforced traffic signs do you pass in a day?

Back
Top Bottom