Tesoro Cortes

One of the reasons I don't by used Tesoro's everyone thinks they know what to adjust the POTS to but I think they mess them up more than help.

One of the reasons I don't by used Tesoro's everyone thinks they know what to adjust the POTS to but I think they mess them up more than help.

I strongly get the impression that somethingnlime that may have happened with my Silver Saber. The original owner claimed it was modded for an All-Metal function or pinpoint function of sorts. Yeab, he might have messed it up. I'll have to go to Monte about that later when I have time.

GreenMeanie: said:
You are correct, to a point. Some models, from the lowly Compadre to their TID Cortés, do have more than one internal trim-pot, and very often I had acquired (I don't anymore) a Compadre or other multi-trimmer model.. The result was, as I have mentioned and you called attention to, very frustrating because a know-nothing or know-very-little individual opened it up and really messed everything up.

However, Tesoro did make some "turn-on-and-go" models (meaning they have a preset GB) that were / are easy to work with, such as the Silver Sabre, Silver Sabre II, Silvery Sabre µMAX, Conquistador µMAX and others that could work well,because they do not have a glitchy design, and there is only ONE internal trimmer, and that's for the Ground Balance. Nothing inside to tweak around and mess things up other than a single GB trimmer.

So don't ignore ALL Tesoro models, only those that might be messed-up or the models that had a glitchy circuitry design right out of the factory, and there were a few of those.

Monte

Quite a few of us like our little Tesoro detectors.

Truth be told, a Compadre with the little 6" coil doesn't need a high performance gb mod or adjustments as long as the high conductors respond properly. A lot of folks like it. Myself included. I have my little Compadre modded so I can change coils on it, running either the stock 6" coil on it or my Cleansweep coil and it works great with both without having to make any adjustments to the gb setting. I didn't have to make any adjustments to it.

However my Golden Sabre II does require a manual gb mod as I use several different coils on it and I take it to sites with very different ground minerals so I have to be able to gb to both the site and the coil.

I also put a manual gb on my Lobo SuperTraq for Disc mode as it made it easier to use in different sites with different coils, and the Lobo is a pretty hot detector and the manual gb really brings out the Disc mode.

My Cortes functions perfectly in every respect except for the gb setting affecting the high conductors, and since I'm only going to run it with the Cleansweep coil I am perfectly fine with the internal balance set and forget to what I chose to set it too.

If you don't hunt hot ground you can get a do it all preset gb setting on a Tesoro that will work with the majority of your coils good enough, especial for a Tesoro detector's performance envelope.

I will say I have bought several Golden microMax units that were pretty screwed up and it takes me about an hour to get them tweaked back to spec for the tones. These are another that really benefit from a manual gb mod.

Tesoro was what Tesoro was, but that doesn't stop many of us from still enjoy using them today.

My personal Tesoro journey has included one or multiples of the INCA, Royal Sabre, Golden Sabre, Golden Sabre II, Golden MicroMax (both old and new tones) Lobo SuperTraq, Cortes, Tejon, Outlaw, Compadre, and the King Cobra clones. I found good stuff with all of them.

Regards Tesoro models, I current own the Cortes, a couple of Golden Sabre II and the Compadre. I wouldn't mind adding another Lobo SuperTraq to the list as its such an awesome detector with the gb mod in Disc.

Good Luck!

Metal Pig: said:
I strongly get the impression that something like that may have happened with my Silver Saber. The original owner claimed it was modded for an All-Metal function or pinpoint function of sorts. Yeab, he might have messed it up. I'll have to go to Monte about that later when I have time.
Yes, it is very possible the modification to fashion a Threshold All Metal mode instead of the momentary Pinpoint feature could have caused a problem. If it was ONLY a change at the push-button to go to a toggle switch, it ought to be OK. However, I've seen too many 'modifications' done that also included a variable pot, such as for Ground Balance, that was not wired-up properly and / or was a wrong impedance component.

Monte

Funforme: said:
... However my Golden Sabre II does require a manual gb mod as I use several different coils on it and I take it to sites with very different ground minerals so I have to be able to gb to both the site and the coil.
Other than my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX there are only two other Tesoro models I keep a watch for ... in pristine condition. One of those is the short-lived Pantera.

I enjoyed it because it was one model I did use two or three coils on, and it did have manual Ground Balance. Jack Gifford told me there was limited interest in it because so many people wanted a "turn-on-and-go" preset GB model, so it was discontinued and a while later they used the Pantera circuit board and made the Golden Sabre II to please that market.

I also put a manual gb on my Lobo SuperTraq for Disc mode as it made it easier to use in different sites with different coils, and the Lobo is a pretty hot detector and the manual gb really brings out the Disc mode.
A lot of folks didn't / don't know the Lobo Super TRAQ has a preset GB for the Disc. mode. I stopped by the factory one day in my travels because mine was way off, being too negative. Carl, their service tech, fixed it up and told me there were actually two trimmers inside that were used for the Disc. mode GB.

I will say I have bought several Golden microMax units that were pretty screwed up and it takes me about an hour to get them tweaked back to spec for the tones. These are another that really benefit from a manual gb mod.
It frustrated me as a Tesoro Dealer at the time that they just couldn't get it right. Each was messed up in one way or another, GB related mainly, and it should have been designed with an external GB function in the first place..

Tesoro was what Tesoro was, but that doesn't stop many of us from still enjoy using them today.
I know I continue to carry along in my vehicle, and make use of, my two all-time favorite Tesoro models because they do what they can do, and do it well.

Monte

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom