Looking for another MD

lubie40

Hello - Long time lurker at the site. I bought my 1st MD (teknetics eurotek pro 8" inch coil.) back in 2013 from a sponsor. I have a lot of hours on it and it has done really well for me. I search almost 90% in old farm fields in midwest WI. I compete with square head nails looking for coins. What I love about the eurotek is the tones and when you lock onto a coin you know it. (usually lol)

I need another MD now that my kids want to come with. I thought about just buying another eurotek, but after spending the last 6 hours researching MD's I have completely ran my self into circles.

I was ready to buy the simplex+ but after watching videos it seems really chatty and the tones are a little harsh (maybe)...

So if you had ~$500 to spend on a MD are you picking the Simplex+, Vanquish 540, Garrett apex, or something else. I updated this post and maybe I just jump to the Equinox 600...

I thought I was ready to buy but talked myself out of it and would just love some opinions.

Thanks
John

Last edited:
I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. I think it comes down to features that are right for you and how you hunt. Personally if I was going with that budget I would probably go with the Vanquish 540, if I could afford more the Equinox 600. If money was the issue I'd learn to listen to the simplex. I am not saying the Apex is bad at all but I think you can get better for that price. Just my opinion

Hello,I swing g a nokta impact and if you don't like "chatty" the n nokta makro isn't for you.you have to runt hese machines with gain (sensitivity) as high as possible.you can get incredible depth but the downside is machine is popping and crackling I have an old sov xs2 as my backup and there is a lot to be said for fbs.the reviews for the 540 are mostly positive while the apex not so good.Either 540 or simplex,I wouldn't even consider the apex (you'll get used to the noise when you start pulling deep targets)

Of those 3, I'd get the Vanquish 540, but as Coin-saver stated, if you can get the Equinox 600, that would be what I'd do with your budget.

The Simplex is of course, a much more rugged machine than the Equinox, if that is at all important to you. As far as being chatty, when I had one (only sold it because my wife liked the 2lb weight of her Tesoro much better), the only time is was ever chatty was when 1.) it was not ground balanced, or 2.) when the sensitivity was all the way up, over some (wet salt beach, and I could re-GB and quiet it right down). But even reducing the sens by 1 or 2 bars (out of 8) would quiet it right down, and depth was still amazing.

If you are looking for a detector that sounds like a musical instrument, then the Simplex is probably not for you. But for under $350 US, you can't do better.

I want to throw this out there..... just. in. case.

I love my Garrett AT Pro, it's now an "older" machine, but still rocks and is very rugged and versatile. But if the choices above are the only choices. I would put back a few extra and get the Equinox.

I have my AT Pro for certain situations, and the Equinox 600 for other situations. I like the rugged ability of the ATPro in the thick woods and rougher areas. Equinox for beaches, parks, fields, etc.

I have the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack and I can vouch that it's a great machine. It runs quiet and it goes very deep. In almost all hunts I'm able to run at full sensitivity. I'm finding silver coins and wheats at 10"

I don't have too much experience with many other detectors, but my Simplex+ does seem pretty chatty. Straight up noisy if I have the sensitivity up at all, though that's probably at least in part due to the places I have to hunt (big city and old suburbs). I like my Simplex+ and I'd definitely recommend it in general, but I suspect you'd be better served by another platform in your specific case.

I say Vanquish all the way!

It's basically the Nox series shrunken down, it is a killer at beaches, mineralized soil, you name it.

Very, VERY cool test, get your pinpointer and turn it on. Then from the back, slide it slowly through the coil. The pinpointer is going crazy, right? But what about the Vanquish? NO CHATTER.

If you don't want chatter, Minealb is for you.

Also, the Garrett apex is an ok option, but save your money and get the V540 pro pack. SOO worth it.

Last edited:
Would say Vanquish 340 for $200 and call it a day. Or multiple depending on # of kids.

Back
Top Bottom