In the wee hours of the morning?

ringsandthings

My work takes me all over. That being said, we are leaving our neighborhood in 2 weeks. I've decided to do a very early in the morning hunt at the apartment complex across the street. Nobody in this neighborhood is up on Sunday's until 8 at least. I figure 5 am should give me an hour. If anyone were to see me I think I'll say my wife lost her wedding ring and I didn't want anyone to see me looking for it because they might find it after I leave and keep it. Plausible? Would you buy this excuse? The complex was built in the 60's and I'm 99% sure nobody has detected it.

You better be careful.you could get someone with a loose cannon.
I would not be surprised if someone doesn’t call the police..
Not knowing the area I don’t think would be doing it.
Be careful.

About 25 yrs ago, I moved into an apartment complex, built in the late 1950s. And within the first few days, before I knew anyone there , I decided to hit the lawn. Thinking that if anyone asks, I can just say I'm a " new resident from apartment # such & such".

Despite being mid day, broad daylight, no one said jack squat, nor even glanced twice at me.

Not saying that the OP can or should help himself in THIS particular set of factors. But am only addressing this notion that somehow: "Everyone reviles md'rs". And "Everyone is chomping at the bit to call cops " anytime they pass an md'r . When they are walking or driving down the street.

In the 2020's we see a country turned against itself and more gated communities and lust for exclusiveness and privacy than ever. You might not get bothered, but it would not surprise me one bit if a cop did stop and talk to you and you might just get asked to leave since a tenant to a property has more authority than a stranger who is trespassing, basically. If any one tenant called the cops, I think you'd be obligated to leave immediately. If I rent a property, that doesnt mean I cant tell people to get off "MY" lawn. I understand how youre thinking, though, and I might employ that thinking myself in some cases. Its like, who is really responsible or in authority to tell you to leave in a communal environment. And in a communal place like that, many people just leave it to someone else to worry about the guy digging up the yard and they keep.watching TV.

If the owner, manager or a handyman was consulted that could be worse. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying don't be too too surprised if you are confronted.

Old fart here. If it begins to appear to be a problem...I use, "My grand daughter lost her HS Sr. ring and I'm just trying to help her locate it before her Mom/Dad finds out and she gets in trouble @ home." Sometimes add, "She was with a friend who resides here last evening, they were acting stupid like teen agers do and it apparently fell off."

It's always worked for me and sometimes they will stroll around helping me look for it. :laughing: :cool3: :lol:

HH and "Keep on swinging"!!!

Old fart here. If it begins to appear to be a problem...I use, "My grand daughter lost her HS Sr. ring and I'm just trying to help her locate it before her Mom/Dad finds out and she gets in trouble @ home." Sometimes add, "She was with a friend who resides here last evening, they were acting stupid like teen agers do and it apparently fell off."

It's always worked for me and sometimes they will stroll around helping me look for it. :laughing: :cool3: :lol:

That would honestly make someones day if you toss a junker ring into the lawn and they find it. :lol:

Josh

Update: I slept in accidently and missed my window. Going to try again in a few days. It should be pointed out that this complex is full of Latinos and no Karens. I have never seen the owner,unless he is the landscaper too. I do agree with Tom that most people don't care in most places if they don't own it. It's the deep south where they are still fighting a war that was over a long,long time ago,that you have to worry about someone freaking out. Why is it they think you are always trying to take their stuff? Nobody wants your stuff!

Brilliant plan! I like that a lot.

It doesn’t sound like a great idea. The moment someone sees you sneaking around “in the wee hours”, they’re not going to confront you, they’re just going to call the cops.
If you’re using the “lost ring” excuse, just do it in the daytime. Try to pick a time like dinner or midday when people might be out.

Early morning works! No sneaking around at all, I wear my HI-VIZ yellow vest like I normally do. No one ever bothers me.
Saturday is better, some church going folk are up pretty early Sunday.
I would hit it in a heartbeat. Never thought about detecting an apartment complex....hmmmmm :-)

If it’s not your property or you don’t have permission, don’t do it! Have you heard of the Metal Detectorist Code of Ethics? Look it up. You seem intent on giving detectorists a bad name. Just my opinion and I’m really surprised at how many here have given you a nod of approval, with their comments. Hope there’s no underground utilities that could be damaged by your digging.
Please reconsider this.

Last edited:
If it’s not your property or you don’t have permission, don’t do it! Have you heard of the Metal Detectorist Code of Ethics? Look it up. You seem intent on giving detectorists a bad name. Just my opinion and I’m really surprised at how many here have given you a nod with their comments. Hope there’s no underground utilities that could be damaged by your digging.
Please reconsider this.
I have to agree with jimther. I have had more positive responses to asking permission to hunt than no's. As far as I'm concerned, if you get permission from the owner or person in charge then you are golden, anyone complaining will just have to grumble and watch.;) I like being able to detect without looking over my shoulder hoping not to get caught.

If it’s not your property or you don’t have permission, don’t do it! Have you heard of the Metal Detectorist Code of Ethics? Look it up. You seem intent on giving detectorists a bad name. Just my opinion and I’m really surprised at how many here have given you a nod with their comments. Hope there’s no underground utilities that could be damaged by your digging.
Please reconsider this.
:goodpost:
I have to agree with jimther. I have had more positive responses to asking permission to hunt than no's. As far as I'm concerned, if you get permission from the owner or person in charge then you are golden, anyone complaining will just have to grumble and watch.;) I like being able to detect without looking over my shoulder hoping not to get caught.
:goodpost:

I'm on the side that says if you feel like you have to hide then you should probably go somewhere else.

Update, although its been a month. I ended up not being able to do this complex. I didn't have the time. Also, wanted to point out that it was only the curb I was looking to do.

Back
Top Bottom