“Average Joe’s” review Equinox 600

ZR2guy

Elite Member
I am not a master of this detector nor do I claim to be, just my average guy’s review so far of the Equinox 600. I have had this detector out only 3 times since purchasing it back around Labor Day. I mainly hunt schoolyards, parks, and tot- lots.... for now.(I have only been using Park 1 and All Metal modes to this point)
The Good:
1. Price point. Awesome bang for the buck. Better wake up White’s,First Texas, Garrett; you are getting left behind here.
2. This thing really hits nickels well. I have been digging nickels at 5-6” with a stable TID. Dimes at 9”, no problem. Quarters at 10” so far. (Sensitivity at 20)
3. So far, no lower rod wobble problems. I know it has only been 3 times out but I have read that some owners experienced this problem right out of the box.
4. It is very lightweight and a joy to swing. Reminds of my T2SE detectors I had at one time. Ergonomics are very good. I can easily make on-the-fly adjustments with my thumb while maintaining a good grip for proper swinging.
5. The display is easy to see; I’m 52 so this is very good.:yes:
6. All metal mode, well it blew my mind how fast it separates all of the targets you will obviously hear in this mode and reports this back both in audio and TID.:wow: It literally sounds like a machine gun but you can easily hear the high tones when the coil goes over good targets. It was actually fun running this thing in all metal mode with sweep speed at 3.
7. Battery life has been good. I have probably been out a total of 7-8 hours and it just dropped to 2 bars.
8. No EMI problems whatsoever; something I have always liked about Minelab.:yes:

The Not so Good:
1. Not thrilled with the headphone connection location. Yes I know I can get wireless headphones but I think about the location of this on my T2SE and quietly ask, why?
2. Battery; now I like the technology of the battery as far as its type and that it’s rechargeable but I still would like the ability to change this if I so choose. And yes, I have a portable bank charger but then this is something else to worry about keeping charged along with the integrated detector battery. Swapping AA batteries was never a problem for me. Hopefully a battery change won’t require sending the main part of the detector back to Minelab to be replaced.
3. Longer warranty. 5 years would be nice.
4. Maybe just a pet peeve here but like most detectors with the Velcro cuff strap, MAKE IT LONGER! I am only 6’ tall and my forearms are not that big but by the time you have a sweatshirt of jacket on, the Velcro cuff strap is useless.
That’s all I have; like I said before, this is not an expert’s review here. I just wanted to add an “average Joe’s” review.:D

Last edited:
I too love the all metal mode. With my mxsport I usually only hunt in all metal. So I tend to do that with the nox as well, which is surprising not only on how fast it is, but how easily you can distinguish the machine assault of sounds that comes with all metal.

Nice to read a review from the average hobby guy. Enjoy the detector.

you know with a decent analog detector you can dig stuff that newer detectors go over with no signal. I have proof the old bounty hunter with analog uses two 9volt bateries and plastic handle I had purchased at big 5 sporting goods. I later on bought the newer ace 250 with the nels coil 15 inch which still use. the thing is I used the bounty hunter and it found faint signal of a timex watch over nine inches deep then I went over the smae watch with the ace 250 and nothing no signal at all. I was like wtheck happened. I can only figure all the targets I missed over the years using the ace 250 and got nothing but using the bounty hunter I get a timex watch. this timex was the old school made in japan bad news is it had rusted enough that it stopped working. the thing I dont like about the equinox is the battery replacement, like you kinda suggested you can just stop at a store and get some aa batteries whereas the equinox you gotta get them from minelab proprietary thing with batteries.. Not good in my opinion. Besides I think the fisher or bounty hunter work rather well on silver gives the nice faint signal on deep targets which my ace250 doesnt do at all just a beep. :?:

I like average guy reviews! A few cons, what machine doesn't?

Good to see another detectorists eyes opened to the Nox!

For nickels I agree it does a great job of finding them.
For EMI I have to disagree with your findings. I hunt some places that the EMI on the Equinox 800 is really terrible. Places I have detected with the AT PRO,F75 LTD and X-Terra 705 with no problems.

For nickels I agree it does a great job of finding them.
For EMI I have to disagree with your findings. I hunt some places that the EMI on the Equinox 800 is really terrible. Places I have detected with the AT PRO,F75 LTD and X-Terra 705 with no problems.

Sorry to hear that you have had EMI issues. As you know, this Equinox is a very sensitive detector, may want to dial back that sensitivity. I have been hitting clad dimes at 9" with sensitivity at 20 and it came through loud and clear:yes:.I could probably run at 18 and still go pretty deep.
I haven't experienced any EMI issues yet and I have been up near buildings, under power lines,etc.:mder:

I hunt some EMI areas too... dial it back some. It out does my Deus handling emi … come on minelab give us a longer Velcro strap.

Never have or had emi problems here.

Plus tge celcro arm strap seems perfect.

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Great to read your review. EMI is the only issue I have with the EQX, not always, but places that gave my CTX problems gives the EQX fits.

Back
Top Bottom