• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looks Like I Just Paid For The AT Pro With This Gold Honker!

Honest question John. Why is it you dont use the latest and greatest Garrett machine the AT Max? If it is supposed to be everything the AT pro is and more it doesnt make sense that any users that can afford the upgrade would not use it. Dont get me wrong the AT pro is a great machine and I really learned a lot about the hobby using mine for 3 years but it is getting a bit long in the tooth considering all the machines that have come out in last few years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Honest question John. Why is it you don't use the latest and greatest Garrett machine the AT Max? If it is supposed to be everything the AT pro is and more it doesn't make sense that any users that can afford the upgrade would not use it. Dont get me wrong the AT pro is a great machine and I really learned a lot about the hobby using mine for 3 years but it is getting a bit long in the tooth considering all the machines that have come out in last few years.

I prefer the audio of the AT PRO over the AT max. It's really important for hunting my clad. The nickels, dimes & quarters minted now are nickel plate over steel. Now depending on how much of the nickel is worn off and/or rust has developed on the coin, I can with very good probability guess a coin from junk targets. For clad hunting, I hunt with the iron audio turned on, and listen for any low grunts mixed with a squelch sound, or VID numbers bouncing around, 60 to high 70's/low 80's to ID clad. Silver/copper coins give a nice stable tone in the high 70's to mid 80's. Those signals are a no-brainer for probable good targets.

Now, the AT MAX is my go to water machine, using the 9 x 12 concentric search coil, simply because it gets much more depth. I can run it stable with a decent high level of sensitivity, and gain more depth overall compared with the AT Pro. The AT MAX has more gain/power then the AT Pro, so it punches deeper.

I also use the AT MAX relic hunting with the large or smaller coil. So, basically, hunting clad (including rings & jewelry) I need good ID capabilities, which the AT Pro gives me. Depth is secondary, as my clad areas are regularly hunted, so the coins can be quickly popped out with a screwdriver in the top inch or so. The extra gain/power on the MAX gives it better depth, however, the audio is not as precise.

So, I either sacrifice depth for better ID or ID for better depth. It's all about location location location vs. machine capabilities + user experience.

I am going to switch coils on my AT MAX tonight. I am removing the large 9 x 12 concentric coil and replacing it with the 6.5 x 9 concentric coil. The transient people have moved out of the river valley, as we have had several days where it snowed, and the mosquitoes and tics are now gone. I purchased the 6.5 x 9 coil last fall, and just love it! Better depth then the 5 x 8, a bit larger (of course) but small enough to hunt in some tight spots.

I hunt in true all metal mode (deepest) and either just check my VDI numbers or switch over to motion discriminate to get a better tone.

No matter which brand you swing, sometimes switching to a different coil size is like getting a totally new metal detector. Th smaller coils give a much crisper accurate audio, especially tiny objects, and of course the large coils get you better depth, a real asset at times, but not always. Most people buy a metal detector with the average size coil, (do most everything sort of well) and never deviate to another size. Instead, they buy the latest/greatest, and continue the same cycle.

Those who have purchased a new coil to further compliment their hunting preferences, usually get good results. However, some people like to buy the latest/greatest, because they can and desire to tinker with a new product, and that is a good thing too! How else can we get data about new equipment to help make a good decision on purchasing equipment.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I prefer the audio of the AT PRO over the AT max. It's really important for hunting my clad. The nickels, dimes & quarters minted now are nickel plate over steel. Now depending on how much of the nickel is worn off and/or rust has developed on the coin, I can with very good probability guess a coin from junk targets. For clad hunting, I hunt with the iron audio turned on, and listen for any low grunts mixed with a squelch sound, or VID numbers bouncing around, 60 to high 70's/low 80's to ID clad. Silver/copper coins give a nice stable tone in the high 70's to mid 80's. Those signals are a no-brainer for probable good targets.

Now, the AT MAX is my go to water machine, using the 9 x 12 concentric search coil, simply because it gets much more depth. I can run it stable with a decent high level of sensitivity, and gain more depth overall compared with the AT Pro. The AT MAX has more gain/power then the AT Pro, so it punches deeper.

I also use the AT MAX relic hunting with the large or smaller coil. So, basically, hunting clad (including rings & jewelry) I need good ID capabilities, which the AT Pro gives me. Depth is secondary, as my clad areas are regularly hunted, so the coins can be quickly popped out with a screwdriver in the top inch or so. The extra gain/power on the MAX gives it better depth, however, the audio is not as precise.

So, I either sacrifice depth for better ID or ID for better depth. It's all about location location location vs. machine capabilities + user experience.

I am going to switch coils on my AT MAX tonight. I am removing the large 9 x 12 concentric coil and replacing it with the 6.5 x 9 concentric coil. The transient people have moved out of the river valley, as we have had several days where it snowed, and the mosquitoes and tics are now gone. I purchased the 6.5 x 9 coil last fall, and just love it! Better depth then the 5 x 8, a bit larger (of course) but small enough to hunt in some tight spots.

I hunt in true all metal mode (deepest) and either just check my VDI numbers or switch over to motion discriminate to get a better tone.

No matter which brand you swing, sometimes switching to a different coil size is like getting a totally new metal detector. Th smaller coils give a much crisper accurate audio, especially tiny objects, and of course the large coils get you better depth, a real asset at times, but not always. Most people buy a metal detector with the average size coil, (do most everything sort of well) and never deviate to another size. Instead, they buy the latest/greatest, and continue the same cycle.

Those who have purchased a new coil to further compliment their hunting preferences, usually get good results. However, some people like to buy the latest/greatest, because they can and desire to tinker with a new product, and that is a good thing too! How else can we get data about new equipment to help make a good decision on purchasing equipment.

Hope this helps!
Makes sense. Thanks for the detailed response. HH and GL!

Back
Top Bottom