eagle /shield button

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
I know just enough about buttons to know that they help keep your coat closed. I found this in a field in MT. Looks like it was in the ground for a reasonably long time. It is about the diameter of a nickel and appears to be brass. Doubt it was from a 7th Calvary soldier's coat, Perhaps it came from China on a coat destined for Walmart. Anyone have an idea as to the origin?

Attachments

• button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 226
  • button back 2.jpg
    button back 2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 162
Like you I am know little about buttons. I have only dug a few in over the years but did dig a eagle one a few weeks ago. Because of it my interest has taken a lot more interest in buttons. Yours looks nothing like mine but what do I know. The design of the shank on yours looks to have some age but looks to be of one piece with the button. The features on the button face I have not seen before, perhaps somebody with a lot more knowledge will help to identify its origins. Trapper

Attachments

• 9-9-18 1.jpg
    9-9-18 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 122
That doesn't look like brass to me. Looks like cheap white metal zinc type metal. probably not real

I told you I know nothing about buttons, but I do know this was in the ground, in a field in Montana near where I live, and appears to have been there for some time. So to make a more accurate metal ID, I scraped away some the buildup on the back and you are correct, it is a white metal. In Trapper's post, he notes that the shank and the button are 1 piece and after further thought, that would tell me it was stamped by a machine.

So... I am going to go with " cheap Chinese made Walmart coat button"

Thanks for taking a look!

US army button

J & J - your button is dated from 1902 to currently. The sunburst above the eagle tells me so. Good find , steve in so la

Back
Top Bottom