More Spanish goodness

Awesome find, the old pillar style seem to far more rare to be found detecting than the later styles.

Right. The milled pillar style 1733-1773 or so seem to turn up far less than the bust style 1773-1821 or so. Probably on the order of 10-1 or even higher. Most of the early colonial hunters in the Maryland/Virginia area have far more cut Pistareens and even Cobs than your variety. They do seem to turn up more in New England than elsewhere

Right. The milled pillar style 1733-1773 or so seem to turn up far less than the bust style 1773-1821 or so. Probably on the order of 10-1 or even higher. Most of the early colonial hunters in the Maryland/Virginia area have far more cut Pistareens and even Cobs than your variety. They do seem to turn up more in New England than elsewhere

Here is to hoping I pull another one, or more. Though, maybe something in a whole number variety instead of fractional.

Congrats Jay on yet another Spanish Silver. That 1/2 Reale or any Reale for that matter would be a dream coin here in the upper Midwest. Super find. Trapper

Wow, that is an amazing find. I'd drop over dead if I dug that!

Congrats Jay on yet another Spanish Silver. That 1/2 Reale or any Reale for that matter would be a dream coin here in the upper Midwest. Super find. Trapper

Thanks. I am hoping this area will produce a couple more. The town was officially settled ~1715, but, there is a house or two that still survives that goes back to 1690 or so. It borders on other towns that were settled in the mid-1600's. It is some hard searching, but, things do turn up. I was just scouting another site on the other side of the town. There was this train in the woods that appears to be one ox-cart wide and has the requisite stone walls on each side. Was definitely active in the 1700's. There was also a good deal of Pennacook(?) activity in the area. Who knows what I will find there.

Wow, that is an amazing find. I'd drop over dead if I dug that!

I know the feeling. I damn near did. This site has produced three coins from the 1700's (one british, two spanish) and on 1800's (Canadian). Only one American silver (a 1945 Washinton). I will drop dead if this place produces a Pine Tree (which isn't outside the greater realm of possibilities).

Back
Top Bottom