My thoughts on the Equinox 800 after 50 hours...

This link here doesn’t even mention Massachusetts or Ct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_mining_in_the_United_States

Funny, that article mentions this.

"Birmingham, Alabama

The largest production of US iron ore outside the Great Lakes districts was the Birmingham, Alabama district. Sedimentary iron ore in the Red Mountain formation of Silurian age was first used to make iron in 1864. Production was small until 1881, when major steelmaking began in Birmingham.

The last iron mine shut down in 1975, after the district had produced 376 million long tons of ore."

Doesn't mention importing a whole lot of iron from the NE, mudwhale, did not even want or need any of YOUR iron since we were perfectly able to manufacture our own.
A whole lot of it ended up in the dirt I hunt as you can see in that vid.
Then again maybe all that iron from Massachusetts and those other states magically flew down here on fairy wings and dropped into all my dirt.
That is just as possible as your crazy theories.

See! It says Great Lakes! Great Lakes! I've been telling you boys MY dirt is worse than YOURS! :laughing::laughing: Not only that, but we got big slabs of raw prehistoric copper laying around all over the place! Its like trying to find a penny in a gosh darn dumpster!

Michigan is no place to be metal detecting! They should outlaw the sales of these things here on account of false advertising laws...

Funny, that article mentions this.

"Birmingham, Alabama

The largest production of US iron ore outside the Great Lakes districts was the Birmingham, Alabama district. Sedimentary iron ore in the Red Mountain formation of Silurian age was first used to make iron in 1864. Production was small until 1881, when major steelmaking began in Birmingham.

The last iron mine shut down in 1975, after the district had produced 376 million long tons of ore."

Doesn't mention importing a whole lot of iron from the NE, mudwhale, did not even want or need any of YOUR iron since we were perfectly able to manufacture our own.
A whole lot of it ended up in the dirt I hunt as you can see in that vid.
Then again maybe all that iron from Massachusetts and those other states magically flew down here on fairy wings and dropped into all my dirt.
That is just as possible as your crazy theories.
Try detecting in the UP !!!! You can’t swing any machine without your ears getting wore out within the first couple swings of any machine. I have tried anything from a PI to the Equinox . It is maddening I tell you.

Try detecting in the UP !!!! You can’t swing any machine without your ears getting wore out within the first couple swings of any machine. I have tried anything from a PI to the Equinox . It is maddening I tell you.

You got it pretty bad up there, plus add in the copper.
I have hunted in the very nice dirt in the mid part of the state north of the Detroit area in the suburbs near Lake St. Clair.
Great, beautiful black dirt there, definitely not the same dirt in every part of the state.
Lots of states like that, some areas are better than others.
Learning to hunt in heavy iron, be it infested old home sites or just bad mineralized soil, turned out to be the most useful skills I have learned while I have been in this hobby.
I tend to gravitate toward detectors that can deal with heavy iron well and I have been lucky to have owned a few.
My Vaq was ok, my Compadre and Mojave are better.
The F70 was great at this but I had to learn a new language to do that task the best.
Now I am learning the Nox which also seems to have decent skills in this arena.

Iron...not my favorite metal but as with everything in life you just learn to deal with all obstacles in your path to success.

Ahhh we’re comparing trashy dirt now! Sounds exciting lol
Jim- “my dirt is trashier than yours”
Joe- “you have no clue what trashy is! Check out my dirt!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:popcorn::fridge:

Nice write-up, Thanks. I have about 25 hours on the 800, and it really does like iron nails. I will adjust my iron bias settings to yours to see if it helps.

Jim

I run Park2 pretty much exclusively iron bias zero and very seldom dig nails. I keep reading about all the nails being dug with the Equinox and just don't get it. Park1 with a low iron bias is much worse about falsing on iron nails than Park2.

this is excellent information, I don't know how I missed it before now. I'll be trying your settings as soon as it warms up here

I run Park2 pretty much exclusively iron bias zero and very seldom dig nails. I keep reading about all the nails being dug with the Equinox and just don't get it. Park1 with a low iron bias is much worse about falsing on iron nails than Park2.

I tend to run iron bias set at 1 most of the time now. The sites I've been hunting are flat out loaded with iron, big and small, so even running a little iron bias the Nox is still kind of sparky. I still get fooled occasionally but not too often.

this is excellent information, I don't know how I missed it before now. I'll be trying your settings as soon as it warms up here

Thank you sir. :cheers:

Just looking back to see what folks were saying about Nox back when.

50 hours. Yeah I agree good point in time to give some good data.

Back
Top Bottom