How to clean poison ivy infected items?

mws_1984

Elite Member
Ok so had some issues with poison ivy. Just got out in the woods today. Had mentioned to the other guy that I wanted to avoid it. But then on the way out he says oh that's all poison. Don't be reaching down. We had just walked thru it. So I didn't touch it. Clothes went right in the wash when I got home, and I washed down with Ivarest. But how do I clean my shoes and my detector. Real paranoid that there is oils on them.
Having had it so bad the past couple of weeks I'm paranoid over everywhere it could be. Like I'm thinking ah did my pants brush the inside of the car and get anything on it, if there was anything. But how do I clean items that you can't throw in the washer machine like my shoes and detector/tools?

Just want to play it on the safe side and get them cleaned up in case anything got on me.

Rubbing alcohol :)

Is that going to adversely affect anything? Like I'll probably take a towel or something and get some on there and clean my shoes, detector and car interior, at least where my legs were.

Definitely going to try to avoid woods in the future if I can help it. At least poison ivy areas. But ya can't always see it right away.

It shouldn't. I mean, I wouldn't pour it inside your detector or anything. Just wipe down the surface area a couple times with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the oils.

It shouldn't. I mean, I wouldn't pour it inside your detector or anything. Just wipe down the surface area a couple times with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the oils.

Ok thanks. About to go do at least my car now. Have to use it in the morning, the other stuff can wait. I'm hoping I'm in the clear with any getting on me. The fact that I'm still itchy from the rash healing doesn't make me feel any better lol.

thats why I always wear gloves when I hunt now,had abad case of Ivy last year between my fingers it was bad.

If youre a guy and its on your hands..its going other places.

Get ready. Opt for the shot, not the pills. Much faster relief for that much needed scratch.

When I got it I was clearing brush in shorts
without a shirt.

75% of my body was covered in itchy
scabs.

I really learned to stay away from that
stuff the hard way.

However, MW you might develop some resistance afterwards due to the first bout being a tough one. I had it real bad that one time and after that I think I developed some good immunization effects. http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm

I heard a story of a guy who burned brush and inhaled the stuff, now, that is real bad

I think just without getting anything besides Over the counter remedies it is just taking longer to go away. Like I have red patches with dry spots on them. Not like one huge dry patch. I really have only been using gold bond cream or powder to kill the itch. But I always still manage to wake up around midnight itching.

Had tried coconut oil after someone mentioned it, but that didn't seem to do much. didn't try again. So basically I never stuck with any one remedy.

My father got it on himself a long while ago. Was burning brush, despite wearing long sleeves the smoke still spread it. Now thats one nasty plant!

Just a real fight to not itch something because I know your not supposed to.

Water and beach

3 part water, 1 beach in a spray bottle. Just spray on any thing let set a few minutes wipe withe a wet or dump rug. This was my Grandmama trikes. She raised 13 kids in the Piney Woods North of Houston.To this day we use it for Poison ivy, oak, wasp, ant, ticks,flea, and most other bug bites first aid. Also works on Jellyfish strings.

However, MW you might develop some resistance afterwards due to the first bout being a tough one. I had it real bad that one time and after that I think I developed some good immunization effects. http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm

I don't think that is how it works. It is an allergy. The problem with "poison" ivy has to do with the immune system's reaction to it. I think that by it self it is actually not poisonous or not that poisonous, but because it triggers such a strong reaction with so many people it is very bad.

Building stronger immune system reaction actually makes you more susceptible, as with other allergies.

This is the opposite of things that will actually harm you like bad bacteria, viruses, and cancer. You want to strengthen immune system reaction to those, so your body will remove them.

I heard a story of a guy who burned brush and inhaled the stuff, now, that is real bad

That is potentially deadly.

Ok so had some issues with poison ivy. Just got out in the woods today. Had mentioned to the other guy that I wanted to avoid it. But then on the way out he says oh that's all poison. Don't be reaching down. We had just walked thru it. So I didn't touch it. Clothes went right in the wash when I got home, and I washed down with Ivarest. But how do I clean my shoes and my detector. Real paranoid that there is oils on them.
Having had it so bad the past couple of weeks I'm paranoid over everywhere it could be. Like I'm thinking ah did my pants brush the inside of the car and get anything on it, if there was anything. But how do I clean items that you can't throw in the washer machine like my shoes and detector/tools?

Just want to play it on the safe side and get them cleaned up in case anything got on me.

I use soapy water made with Dawn on all tools and points of contact such as the detector, and car steering wheel, as well as a scrub in the shower with a mildly abrasive dish scrub pad or wash cloth. I use Clorox on bad bumps on my hands, scraping them while washing. Medical professionals do not recommend Clorox, as it is considered poison, but I have had good results.

I also use generic hydro-cortisone, it usually works in 30 minutes of one application and lasts for 4-6 hours, for mild cases. If I have a bad case I repeat washing, and use hydro-cortisone more frequently than the label says, like every hour.

Prescription free hydro-cortisone is now usually sold at a strength of 1%. In the early 1990s it was limited to 0.5% without a prescription, and 1% was what you got when prescribed it. So OTC hydro-cortisone is no longer useless like it once was, back then I would reapply it more frequently to achieve the same results as

They say not to use hot or warm water to clean your skin on the initial cleaning since it opens pores.

Bleach is the best thing I have found. All I have to do is walk by the stuff and I get it. I even have an open perscription and our local pharmacy because I get it so often. For cleaning your equipment use part bleach and part water. To get rid of it on your body first go to your local liquire store and buy your choice of any 5th. Next return home and start chugging. (Make sure you wait until you get home:lol:) After you feel the fear leaving your body, take a wet wash cloth and start rubbing the infected area's until they have all opened up. Finally, grad the bleach, apply it to a wash cloth and rub it in. O ya, hang on to your a@# cause it's not for the weak! :shock: After you have complete the process you many need to return to your bottle agian. On thing I can garuntee is that the iching will stop and not come back. It will completely kill the ivy and you wont have to go 10 days to 2 weeks iching all the time.

Jewel weeed

One of the acient remedies for poison ivy is Jewel weed. This can also be used to take the sting out of stining nettle. It is said that putting jewel weed on your skin before going through a patch will help to prevent getting any poison ivy. You can find more info on Jewel weed online. I am not sure if it is found in all areas but is usually found right near the inflaming plant. As for cleaning your clothes and equipment, just use warm soapy water. Oh and never burn any poisonous plants and be the smoke you will get the offending oils all over you as residue.

when I was working inmate on the prison farm I saw a lot of them come down with it, and I must say I did it once myself and this did work...put CLOROX on it right out of the bottle ..warning...Burns like fire, you'll think you dead and went to hell....But it will dry up and go away......:woohoo:

Back
Top Bottom