how to clean old toy cars?

Gameface

hello everyone. i've been finding old toy cars and i'm not to sure how to go about cleaning them. the insides are empty and what holds the wheels on are rusty so i don't want to break that part.. i'm sort of at a stand still not sure what direction to go. any advice would be great.

Attachments

• car 1.jpg
    car 1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,416
  • car 2.jpg
    car 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3,993
  • car 3.jpg
    car 3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 4,074
  • car 3a.jpg
    car 3a.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4,010
Last edited:
I have had good success tumbling tootsie toys. You are right about losing the wheels tho. They can easily be reattached for display purposes with super glue. Tumbling also makes them ready to repaint if you so choose.....................

I've been soaking mine in water+dawn for 24-48 hours then spraying off with a water hose. Been able to get most of the dirt out this way. If I have to, I'll take a toothpick soaked in olive oil(do this with some coins too) and pick away. In the last week I got 6 Tootsie cars and 3 Matchbox cars all 1967 or older. Good luck cleaning.

I've been soaking mine in water+dawn for 24-48 hours then spraying off with a water hose. Been able to get most of the dirt out this way. If I have to, I'll take a toothpick soaked in olive oil(do this with some coins too) and pick away. In the last week I got 6 Tootsie cars and 3 Matchbox cars all 1967 or older. Good luck cleaning.

I would assume soaking the car itself in olive oil would work good too? Perhaps it would loosen up the axle of the wheels without damaging it?

Don't quote me on it though, I've never done it! :lol:

I would assume soaking the car itself in olive oil would work good too? Perhaps it would loosen up the axle of the wheels without damaging it?

I don't think it would damage it any. I soak my wheaties all the time and no harm comes to them. Sounds like a good idea to me. Will give it a go on the next one I get.

Darn, I wasn't supposed to quote you.:lol::laughing::lol:

I would soak it and try using a waterpik or ultrasonic parts cleaner.

IMO old cars are built pretty tough to keep up with kids. This is one I found 2 years ago and had in a box of other toys. When your question inspired me. In the beginning it had no rust pretty dirty and had some of the paint left. I cleaned it the best I could by hand removed the tires, cleaned them with dawn and a sponge then I used the metal brush and my dremel on setting 5 I cleaned off the excess dirt and paint. I then put two coats on and one coat of a low gloss finish here is the result.

2012-06-17_18-12-24_930.jpg

Painting them is nice if there is no great value. Of course if you have a rare one then do not paint them. Collectors don't buy re-painted toys. Part of the desire to them is the wear or patina. I don't collect them but that is what I saw on the Antiques Road Show. :lol:

Painting them is nice if there is no great value. Of course if you have a rare one then do not paint them. Collectors don't buy re-painted toys. Part of the desire to them is the wear or patina. I don't collect them but that is what I saw on the Antiques Road Show. :lol:

Completely agree always do research to seevif they are rare I only paint to put them on display if it was valuable not a chance. Brings up a point though is being under ground considered ware or does it really drop the value of the more rare ones.

IMO old cars are built pretty tough to keep up with kids. This is one I found 2 years ago and had in a box of other toys. When your question inspired me. In the beginning it had no rust pretty dirty and had some of the paint left. I cleaned it the best I could by hand removed the tires, cleaned them with dawn and a sponge then I used the metal brush and my dremel on setting 5 I cleaned off the excess dirt and paint. I then put two coats on and one coat of a low gloss finish here is the result.

2012-06-17_18-12-24_930.jpg

WOW !!

Beautiful job !!!

I clean mine the exact same way as rfjuice. Hit a couple of Tootsies, but my best dig was a Hallmark car called,"Lil Dumpy". They had a series of these in the 80's. Sold mine for $35!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom