How to clean these coins

Explorer

Was out with my DFX the other day. Found this 1868 20 Kreuzer Franz Josepf at 7 inches and the other two were in the same spot a few inches deeper. How to clean each one of these. 20 Kreuzer is in quite ood shape but the other two are in poor shape, I think they are ever a bit older. Please help. Don't want to do anything wrong.

Last edited:
Are they worth anything? If they are I wouldn't clean them.

If you do decide to clean the coins your options are electrolysis or using a liquid cleaning method. I'd recommend olive oil. Soak the coins in the oil for a few hours or maybe even a day then a small brush should do the rest. This is the safest method. Electrolysis is always a little risky and I wouldn't recommend it over more conservative methods.

As a general rule I say don't clean any coin you would be terribly upset to see damaged. It just wouldn't be worth it to do something you'd regret so much.

You might consider talking to your local coin dealer if you have any doubts. They always have good advice.

Last edited:
Are they worth anything? If they are I wouldn't clean them.

If you do decide to clean the coins your options are electrolysis or using a liquid cleaning method. I'd recommend olive oil. Soak the coins in the oil for a few hours or maybe even a day then a small brush should do the rest. This is the safest method. Electrolysis is always a little risky and I wouldn't recommend it over more conservative methods.

As a general rule I say don't clean any coin you would be terribly upset to see damaged. It just wouldn't be worth it to do something you'd regret so much.

You might consider talking to your local coin dealer if you have any doubts. They always have good advice.

I agree with you :yes: the safest method would be soak it in olive oil, no one can say what would be the outcome with electrolysis. Go on slowly and take as much time it needs to clean it :)

Back
Top Bottom