Small coils and stock coils

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
With all the snow here in PA its not good for hunting, so I stuck the high frequency nel snake on the xterra ,and cleared off the test garden snow.
My intended purpose for this coil was very old sidewalks, and rows of cellerholes,and tot lots.In my experience low frequency machines,and coils in this case do not do well with coins on edge.Higher frequency does better in my opinion,not even close.

Hit my 5 inch merc on edge very well,better than my previous machines.The 7 inch merc was clear in all directions. In frozen ground,ad a inch or 2 because I can't scrub frozen grass,I'd say it'll hit 8 inches fine.
I'm glad this didn't sell when I posted it,and a relative backed out of buying it,so its still with me.For anyone wanting the same depth advantage of the 5x10 hf coil with way better separation, look into the nel snake or other small coils.

Small coils always amaze me at the raw power in them,I usto never use them but they are my go to coil on any machine now.Large coils are great for extreme depth,but for most application they are overkill.I think there are probably a ratio of 10 to 1 of coins masked vs deep,maybe even more masked than that ratio.I've let depth alone ,8 inches is more than deep enough,and the best separation comes first.

Attachments

• IMG_20160214_090848.jpg
    IMG_20160214_090848.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20160214_090900.jpg
    IMG_20160214_090900.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 265
I love small coils. Of course they rule in tight spots. They are also better suited to find smaller, finer targets like jewelry. I use larger coils when appropriate. Cool to have a choice. GL and HH.

Which Coil?

I am real close to buying a new fisher F5. Which coil would you recommend, The 5" concentric 5" dd or 6.5" elliptical. I am going to order it with the 11dd, but will need a small coil.

Just got the NEL snake coil delivered yesterday for AT pro. Looking forward to using it. Looked promising in some of the youtube videos.

i have a snake for my at pro...its an awesome coil!

How does it compare to your 5x8?..I've used mine a few times now,just on my curb strip but pulled a lot of coins,that I've been over and over with prior units.I just wish I'd have known makro was coming out with the r2 before I bought this snake,kinda stuck myself but still ordered a r2

Back
Top Bottom