Saved by the berm

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I got off an hour early from work today so I decided to stop through a couple little towns for some detecting on the way home.
In the first town, Makoti, ND, I hit up an old yard and curb strip I've detected a couple times before........NOTHING!
I than decided to leave town since I couldn't find a good shady spot to detect.
I ventured 11 miles east to Ryder.
I thought maybe I'd go token hunting in the hunted to death park. I say token hunting because tokens often give off a weird signal and the guys who've detected these little town parks over the years must have assumed they were junk so they got left.
I hunted for a good hour and found half a dozen pieces of junk metal and .35 cents surface clad which I usually pass up.
I had almost decided to head home empty handed when I decided to hit a couple berms (curb strips in other words- I always called them berms growing up and I had to make myself say curb strips on previous posts so people knew what I was talking about)...... but anyway.
The first berm, where last week I dug a 1935 Colorado tax token, gave me nothing.
I went across the gravel street to a chunk of berm I detected 3 or 4 years ago and only got a few wheats.
I was swinging right at the edge of the grass and I get a nice high tone almost like silver. It's only telling me 4" down so I'm figuring memorial penny. I dug the plug and out pops a 1956 Canadian dime! I'm on the board with a keeper!
At that point I was sweating pretty good and told myself next keeper I go home.
Well I dug two more holes that both contained the metal base to old light bulbs. One more I told myself.
Next target ranged up like an older wheatie and it was deep...... got some potential.
I dug a deep plug in the soft somewhat sandy soil. Nothing in the plug. I stuck my pinpointer in the hole and I got a faint signal about 10" down. I took a good scoop out so I didn't have a chance of hitting whatever it was.
I dug around the dirt I had just scooped out with the pinpointer until I found what I was digging for. It was a coin and shortly after learning that I noticed a wreath! 1892 Indianhead in great condition!
I'm glad I didn't give up earlier!
9baada77a9e7336d3dae4ec737af8917.jpg
95384df86c548b02c457b9511be05cf4.jpg
79c45fb018b853e3021287e28c2c5120.jpg
3638241385838540d382192dd91f991e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WowEEE! That indian was 10 inches down?? It looks like it's been in a sock drawer for 120 years. Awesome.

WowEEE! That indian was 10 inches down?? It looks like it's been in a sock drawer for 120 years. Awesome.
Thanks man! I'm always amazed at how nice those things come out of the ground up here. They almost always clean up the best out of all my finds besides silver of course. I've only dug one this year that was really green and crusty.

Real clean IHP with a great looking light patina.
Nice one.
Thanks waltr! It's got just a hint of green patina to it and one very small spot of crust build up on the obverse. Probably one of the top ten Indianheads I've dug over the past 5 years.

Good report! Glad to see your keepers with no digger dings. That IH is a Beaut!
Plus, we'll know what you're talking about next time you mention berms.
Thanks Foragist! It's always a bonus when you can dig up something nice without dinging it. I knew for some reason that I didn't want to hit what ended up being that IH, which is why I took an extra big scoop.

Holy sheets man, that’s a beauty of a IH. Silver Canad dime is a nice find too. You worked hard for those two, way to go!
Thanks Sweeper! I dropped a few pounds in sweat before coming across those two so that made my day.

Nice finds! I love the "just one more" attitude! That IHP is gorgeous...our soil around here is not very kind to coins.

Nice finds! I love the "just one more" attitude! That IHP is gorgeous...our soil around here is not very kind to coins.
Thanks Wave! I'm glad I did one more! I probably would have eventually dug it one day but that "just one more" attitude was getting me.

Well done.

Both of those coins look like they're only 20 years old!
Either that, or the ground is terrible to coins up here...

Back
Top Bottom