• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Little sellers remorse

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Yeah,I got a little sellers remorse over the nox.Been thinking about it,and I may have jumped the gun.
There's no perfect machine.Gotta pick and choose my battles I guess.
The biggest problem I had with the nox was ID, but I guess I could have suffered digging pennies.:laughing:
Can't have it all,and if that's the worst case scenario it's not too bad considering overall the nox does everything every other machine does,and it's light,backlit and nice tones.
I have a impact package en route,traded for the nox.Im sure it's a great machine,I always wanted to try one. Very doubtful I'll keep it tho,just a little more horsepower than I need.
I know I didn't give the nox the best review or stars.lol,and I'm not backpedaling on my thoughts.But when I traded it and had some time to clear my mind,well,it's just not a bad machine when considering what else is out there.There is no perfect machine.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=206952&highlight=cf77&page=9

Woodbutcher I have been considering a Nox and i have been thinking about you saying that the NOX ID's are pretty much useless and very jumpy.
I came across this post of yours back in 2015 dealing with your AKA Detector.

so my question is Could this be the reason that the ID's are so Jumpy?

I run a coil that can be set at 3,7 or 14 kHz. Somone please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been said over and over that 3 kHz is the prime frequency to run for deep copper and silver coins?That being said,it should be a great coin hunter.

As for jumpy numbers,this thing is fast and reads everything in the numbers.if it were slow it would read one number and not process fast enough to read the next.but it's so fast at processing that it shows all metals, and that's what are considered (jumpy numbers).Nothing wrong with the machine,it's just that fast at processing what it sees.

And last the hodagraph.Its the backbone of the id, after the sound. It doesn't lie,and once learned it will inform the user of everything going on under the coil.When I run in disc it's deathly quiet, and when it sounds off I look at the hodagraph. If There's straight line,I'm digging,and it's more than likely a good target.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=206952&highlight=cf77&page=9

Woodbutcher I have been considering a Nox and i have been thinking about you saying that the NOX ID's are pretty much useless and very jumpy.
I came across this post of yours back in 2015 dealing with your AKA Detector.

so my question is Could this be the reason that the ID's are so Jumpy?

The Signum 7272 was a flat out depth demon in my soil,the hodagraph was great but the numbers were very jumpy.It read it all, hypersensitive machine.
The nox ID in my opinion is way better than the AKA Signum.Night and day.
I always hold a machines ID to the etrac which isn't fair.Almost all fall short,the etrac is a coinshooters dream for visual ID in my opinion.
The nox had coin ID but it was jumpy alot..i knew it was a coin,but not sure which one.Thats in not so trashy ground too.But I've been thinking,I gotta pick and choose,can't have it all.
Craig at showmetreasure told me once he'd take a little flakey ID over a ton of weight,and that's a good trade off I guess.
I guess it's whatever your after,and with time you may be able to call a coin on the nox.Ive decided if I get another I'll just take it as it is,and not expect etrac ID,,just knowing it's a coin is good enough.I hate zinc's tho,more than anything I hate zinc's, especially deep ones

The Signum 7272 was a flat out depth demon in my soil,the hodagraph was great but the numbers were very jumpy.It read it all, hypersensitive machine.
I always hold a machines ID to the etrac which isn't fair.Almost all fall short,the etrac is a coinshooters dream for visual ID in my opinion.
The nox had coin ID but it was jumpy alot..i knew it was a coin,but not sure which one.Thats in not so trashy ground too.But I've been thinking,I gotta pick and choose,can't have it all.
Craig at showmetreasure told me once he'd take a little flakey ID over a ton of weight,and that's a good trade off I guess.
I guess it's whatever your after,and with time you may be able to call a coin on the nox.Ive decided if I get another I'll just take it as it is,and not expect etrac ID,,just knowing it's a coin is good enough.I hate zinc's tho,more than anything I hate zinc's, especially deep ones

Yep I suppose if One machine had it ALL then everything else Truly would be Obsolete..

+1 on the Zincies

To be honest i rarely look at the screen on my Signum, i mostly use it to just ID coke.

As an out and out deep turf hunter, it kicks ass, nothing i've used comes close, and i've not yet seen enough on the Nox to convince me it's any better, but as already mentioned, there's no perfect detector to suit everyone.

If you had set your GS filters to a low setting , your ID would stabilize to solid ID on the Signums. It took me a bit to learn that and to be honest I think Greyhound mentioned it previous, I just was trying to see what works and it really does stabilize the ID to a strong ID characteristic.

Wood , the impact with the 5x7 coil is a beast! I have been getting silver dimes at 8 to 9 inches with rock solid ID! It is a great machine,, kinda like F75 on mutant super hero lol.

I still got my Impact.
It ain't going anywhere.
I really can't sell anyway, it says test unit on the front. But if I could I definitely wouldn't.
That football coil can pull stuff in bad sites.

Good modern trash hunter too, if a person will use right settings and switch back and forth using freqs.

The impact has a 4x7,a 5.5x10 and the stock coil with it.Should be here at the end of the week according to tracking.Ive been reading about that machine since last summer,been watching videos too since it was released.I was hoping somone would chime in and say it epwas a good machine,I might even fire up the go pro for a run.lol..I read it’s a heavy beast tho

Woodbutcher, I think we have all been there, tried a machine and just did not feel it, got rid of machine and then thought "did I really give it a fair shake"
For me it was the MX Sport. I tried it for a short amount of time and just did not like it so I got rid of it. later on (about a year) I decided that maybe I should give this machine another chance so I did. Come to find out I STILL didn't like it LOL! Same thing with the Racer.

I think this situation is where all the HYPE does more damage than good. It sets people up for unreal expectations and if the machine is not groundbreaking then there is much disappointment. The reality is this is not the next best thing to sliced bread and its not going to outperform the more expensive units BUT hidden inside all the hype is a good solid performer with some good attributes.
Just the fact that you post here publicly saying that you may not have given it a fair shot speaks volumes as to your open mindness.
Look forward to what you say after trying it again.

The hype does damage only if you expect it to be true:) But we should know that all companies tend to use superlatives in describing their new products... Yes, the Nox's ID and depth info are not that great (compared to my Etrac), but, it has great separation as well as modern featurs, and at its price point, it's probably going to give the Deus a run for its money. Not sure about the Impact and Multi Kruzer (lower price points)--depends on how they do up against the Nox (and some reports have them doing quite well). We will see.

You hate pennies,so do I ,you have an At pro right? I avoid digging them with the Pro. At pro is the perfect detector for 5 to 6 inch depths.:yes:

The impact has a 4x7,a 5.5x10 and the stock coil with it.Should be here at the end of the week according to tracking.Ive been reading about that machine since last summer,been watching videos too since it was released.I was hoping somone would chime in and say it epwas a good machine,I might even fire up the go pro for a run.lol..I read it’s a heavy beast tho

That 7.5x4 coil on the Impact is fantastic. It's deeper than you'd think it would be.

Yeah,I got a little sellers remorse over the nox.Been thinking about it,and I may have jumped the gun.
There's no perfect machine.Gotta pick and choose my battles I guess.
The biggest problem I had with the nox was ID, but I guess I could have suffered digging pennies.:laughing:
Can't have it all,and if that's the worst case scenario it's not too bad considering overall the nox does everything every other machine does,and it's light,backlit and nice tones.
I have a impact package en route,traded for the nox.Im sure it's a great machine,I always wanted to try one. Very doubtful I'll keep it tho,just a little more horsepower than I need.
I know I didn't give the nox the best review or stars.lol,and I'm not backpedaling on my thoughts.But when I traded it and had some time to clear my mind,well,it's just not a bad machine when considering what else is out there.There is no perfect machine.

Nice post. I understand the frustration towards the Noxmania folks but life is just too short to get all wound up about a metal detector. Good luck with the Impact.

It's hard to judge a detector until a person puts 50+ of quality time behind it. I bought a CTX at the first of Feb. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I love it. I jive with it and feel it was designed just for me.

Two weeks ago, I bought a new nox 800 for my wife to upgrade her from the safari. I played with the nox a little to help her understand it. But I wasn't sold on it either. After using the CTX, the nox didn't overly impress me. But I understand that the CTX sets the standard high.

But I have very little time behind the nox 800 and even though what little I have used it, I really can't say anything bad about it. My wife has taken to it like a duck to water and she is really good with it and loves it. She hit the ground running with it and knows the tones and ID very well.

I had a chance to order me one so I did. It should be here Friday. I love the CTX and don't see the nox replacing it. But the nox definitely has some nice features that I can use. The light weight and super fast response will come in handy and having two similar but yet different detectors can educate a person in ways that otherwise, it takes many years to learn.

Just think what would happen if minelab produces a multi-frequency CTX?

Woodbutcher
Once you start swinging the Impact you will be amazed. 12 search modes and 3 frequencies pretty much covers a LOT of bases. HUGE ID scale in DI modes. The custom tone settings are killer in itself. Like TNSS said, I'm never selling this machine.

Woodbutcher
Once you start swinging the Impact you will be amazed. 12 search modes and 3 frequencies pretty much covers a LOT of bases. HUGE ID scale in DI modes. The custom tone settings are killer in itself. Like TNSS said, I'm never selling this machine.

I've read it's really good,and the visual ID seems tight.From what I'm seeing it's more of a coin machine than a relic machine,,which is great

Back
Top Bottom