New Detectorist

CoryTDF

Hello all,

My Name is Cory and I am new to this whole detector world. I live in Walla Walla Washington, yes it's a real place, and I am hoping to find some cool items from the 1800's. I have always been interested in this hobby, but not until now at the ripe age of 37, was I ever able actually go out to find treasures.

I have a MineLab Equinox 800 and it's the first and only machine I have ever really used. Thus far I have been working to learn the techniques and the tones. As you can imagine I have been quite the garbage man as of late, digging up buried metal trash from bygone years.

I have had a couple of fun finds. I found a dime from 1965 in a local park, a quarter from 1966 on a hidden beach on the Snake River, a few matchbox cars, and a cheap earring in a local volleyball pit. I also helped a kid find his lost RayBan sunglasses in some very murky water. So, ya know, doing pretty good I guess.

I look forward to learning from all of the knowledgeable folks here and hopefully sharing some cool finds.

Entry level question: How old does a penny have to be to have enough copper that it does not have serious corrosion. Found several from the 90's and 2000's that have holes eaten right through them??? Why do the older ones seem to fair better?

Welcome from Southern Illinois! Zinc pennies don't handle the environment very well. They changed them to zinc in 1982.

:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :cool3: Happy hunting! :mder:

Like Lee said, in 1982 the US Mint stopped minting copper pennies and started minting them with copper plated zinc. So pennies pre-1982 are going to fare much better in the ground. :mder:

Well, I found my first piece of jewelry. It's junk, likely pot metal cross, but it was still exciting! also found some coins, all of which are clad and of no real noteworthy age. I did find it interesting that a soda can top rings exactly the same as a nickle. Had me digging some trash for sure.

Took my daughter with me and she was helping me keep notes on the finds. Writing down all the VDI numbers for each target so I can better understand what I am looking at.

All the finds were in about a two hour time period at a local park. Park was built around 1908 so I am hoping to eventually find something cool! been on the internet all morning researching the the original layout and old pictures of events from pre 1920. I think I have some promising areas to search.

The picture of the Canadian 5 cent piece is just something I wanted to share. I found it while unloading pea-gravel in my backyard play area. Heard a metallic "TINK" with the shovel and this is what turned up. Pretty exciting find even without a metal detector.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom