Manual Ground Balance on Simplex - Is It Needed?

Dodge92

I have been watching videos and reading stuff on the Simplex since before I even ordered it and everything I see and read says to manually ground balance the machine. Now, I am 2 weeks into ownership and have been manually ground balancing every time. One thing I noticed on Sunday was I was barely picking up a wheatie at 3 inches in field or park mode. Was about to post the "what am I doing wrong?" question here but last night watched a video from a chap in the U.K. who says don't ground balance if the mineralization bar isn't holding steady at half way or higher. This morning I tried it out and sure enough I get better depth without manual ground balancing and just left ground balance at 90 so just curious - it seems odd that nobody on any of these You Tube videos suggests manual ground balance as an option....or is this just an anomaly I am experiencing? Thanks!

Last edited:
Owning a Ace 400 I know the effects of sorry ground balance and having limited areas where I can hunt. I will be following the users input on this matter, it is of great interest to me. Thanks for bringing this subject up.

Yes improper ground balance will take a detector that can find a quarter at 8" to a detector that is lucky to find it at any depth with lots of falsing.

Most ground balance presets are set a bit positive, primarily for better use on more soil conditions, but for some users it can help with depth too. However, as the Simplex+ uses automatic ground balancing it will update for the soil conditions. That is unless manual balancing is preformed, and you know how to properly use ground balance it will only lead to problems. See the manual for details.

When in doubt use automatic ground balance as you will not loose depth/sensitivity compared to a improper manual ground balance. You of course also won't reap any possible benefits of a properly adjusted manual ground balance either.

For details on ground balancing and how it affects finds/depths/more see the many detailed posts here. To learn the basics of how to properly ground balance read this article. Personally I found taking my detector to a nearby metal detector dealer and having them walk me through ground balancing, and checking real signals, far more valuable than hours of reading or watching videos.

I owned a Tesoro Outlaw and it was manual ground balance only depending on the mode. In all honestly no matter how well I thought I could balance it, I always wondered if it was working at optimal conditions. I even made a post about it at the time.

Thank you @TCosbyJr

So there are 3 options: 1. No ground balancing at all (90), 2. Automatic (pump and hold pinpoint button) and 3. Manual.

I am still figuring out the Simplex, taking it slow lest I get frustrated. As a "newbie", I appreciate the advice.

Yes improper ground balance will take a detector that can find a quarter at 8" to a detector that is lucky to find it at any depth with lots of falsing.

Most ground balance presets are set a bit positive, primarily for better use on more soil conditions, but for some users it can help with depth too. However, as the Simplex+ uses automatic ground balancing it will update for the soil conditions. That is unless manual balancing is preformed, and you know how to properly use ground balance it will only lead to problems. See the manual for details.

When in doubt use automatic ground balance as you will not loose depth/sensitivity compared to a improper manual ground balance. You of course also won't reap any possible benefits of a properly adjusted manual ground balance either.

For details on ground balancing and how it affects finds/depths/more see the many detailed posts here. To learn the basics of how to properly ground balance read this article. Personally I found taking my detector to a nearby metal detector dealer and having them walk me through ground balancing, and checking real signals, far more valuable than hours of reading or watching videos.

I owned a Tesoro Outlaw and it was manual ground balance only depending on the mode. In all honestly no matter how well I thought I could balance it, I always wondered if it was working at optimal conditions. I even made a post about it at the time.

Thank you @TCosbyJr

So there are 3 options: 1. No ground balancing at all (90), 2. Automatic (pump and hold pinpoint button) and 3. Manual.

I am still figuring out the Simplex, taking it slow lest I get frustrated. As a "newbie", I appreciate the advice.

Your welcome. I don't own the Simplex+ but have looked at it since my detector purchase - that is always the dilemma of what to buy. Also leaves the usual "upgrade" option so many do myself included. :D

With those three options it seems to have even more than previously thought. The no GB set at 90 is likely a preset GB option, and why it does great.

Indeed enjoy the time out, what you do find, and the rest will come with experience. After all you already learned how to vastly improve your depth. HH

Back
Top Bottom