• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Explorer/Etrac question

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I have never used any of the Explorer or Etrac models but wouldn't mind trying one sometime. I have heard over the years that they were the Cadillac of detectors in their day and are still very good. I don't know anything about them and was wondering which one would be a good one to get, Explorer, Explorer 2, Etrac, etc. And are they hard to setup and use and are they as heavy as I have heard that they are. Thanks!

I've been detecting over 56 years and and I mainly use single frequency detectors however, I came from using my BBS Sovereigns To the FBS series. I had 6 Explorer II's and one Explorer SE Pro and I tried some of the others briefly but of them all I lik9
ed my Explorer II the best.

Those were not difficult to set up and use a. nd the secret is not sweeping too quickly. all for a slow comfortable sweep speed. Their strong point is finding the higher conductive coins like copper and silver and their weak point is that they do not work well for unmasking in dense iron debris areas.

If you are young or healthy and in fit shape you can probably handle one for a while. If you are out of shape or may have some issues as I do. I have a
very bad back from the top of my spine to the bottom and have had a cane since March of '93 so the configuration and poor balance of the Explorer series takes a toll on me after a very short hunt.

I used my Explorers, but I did not use them all that offen because I spent the bulk of my time, 85%, Relic Hunting iron infested ghost towns and similar sites where my chosen single frequency detectors had the definite edge.

.Monte

Last edited:
I also like my Explorer II and prefer it over my ETrac only depthwise. It’s going on 20 years old, lots of use and no problems. A larger aftermarket coil really wakes it up. I have a few buddies that have also stuck with Explorers.

It is a heavier machine, I own the Pro-swing bungee harness and although I don’t use it much it works very well.

Go with an Etrac and get a minelab harness and you are all set. The harness isn’t a must but it does redistribute the weight and you can hunt all day with it instead of a few hours. Good luck.

The Etrac is an excellent detector in my soil. It punches down deep, has great ID, and separates decently.

I think any of them will surprise you Ski, if you don’t mind carrying it around. If you’re digging signals 5 minutes or less apart it’s not an issue. When you put on a huge coil and swing an hour between targets it’s an issue. I ADORE my Explorer2, but am also getting to know my recently acquired SEPro.

I've had the Minelab Sovereign GT (BBS), The Explorer SE (FBS), The E-Trac & the CTX3030. I prefer the E-Trac. When it comes to flat out depth, my best experience has been with the E-Trac. I liked the CTX3030 but not the tones. The E-Trac just seems to give you the ability to cherry-pick very deep coins in hard-packed soil. Low & Slow is key.

Learning the E-Trac tones can be challenging. My first experience was with the SE Pro and it just sounded like a flute. Once you understand each of those tones is telling you something, you enter a new world of depth.

It does lack sensitivity on low conductors such as small odd shaped gold. I use my Simplex for those hunts so I got my bases covered.

Go with the etrac

I still have my etrac. I can't seem to give it up. Goes deep. Loves silver. I have a few friends that don't share new spots until after they have hit them a few times cause they say I keep finding all the good stuff with it. Down side to this detector is how heavy it is. I would only use it for short hunts at places that have been hit hard already. works great at the ocean but don't drop it in. not waterproof

Back
Top Bottom