Which Plastic Trowel

atomicbrh

Elite Member
We need small plastic trowels for the public places where we want minimal attention. We do not plan on doing tough deep digging with it.
Which is the best, most durable, small polymer or plastic hand shovel that can be carried in the back pants pocket?

The Coghlan's backpack trowel looks tougher than the Fiskars but not crazy about the orange color.

We need small plastic trowels for the public places where we want minimal attention. We do not plan on doing tough deep digging with it.
Which is the best, most durable, small polymer or plastic hand shovel that can be carried in the back pants pocket?

The Coghlan's backpack trowel looks tougher than the Fiskars but not crazy about the orange color.

won't hold up to use , maybe digging in sand :laughing:

I love this Fiskars trowel, but I only use it when close to the target so as not to scratch it, not for everyday digging. Has held up pretty well for that purpose over the years.

Attachments

• 071621z.jpg
    071621z.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 341
won't hold up to use , maybe digging in sand :laughing:

Yes. Probably good for only dry sand. A small steel gardening trowel or one of those wide tip screwdrivers will likely be better. Just asked here in case there was some indestructible plastic out there we did not know about.

Transplanter

I love this Fiskars trowel, but I only use it when close to the target so as not to scratch it, not for everyday digging. Has held up pretty well for that purpose over the years.

Thanks. Fiskars makes other composite material hand shovels but not as narrow as this transplanter. This transplanter should be the most difficult to break. Many backpackers are suggesting this over other hand shovels.

Thanks. Fiskars makes other composite material hand shovels but not as narrow as this transplanter. This transplanter should be the most difficult to break. Many backpackers are suggesting this over other hand shovels.

check this Fiskars metal one out https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Bi...6981&msclkid=4f22d7150db61ceeeea5b7e7398cdf3b I also like using a hand rake in sand and woodchips or leaves and pine needles https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Xact-Hand-Rake/1001459756 if you want a narrow digging tool you might look into a Hori-Hori knife https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-...p.ds&msclkid=9b2bd330743011f71f30b3c33ab87e5b

Last edited:
I've never seen a plastic trowel that could dig in anything but the softest soil or sand. If you want a great steel trowel that won't draw attention then you may consider the Wilcox All Pro 50.

check this Fiskars metal one out https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Bi...6981&msclkid=4f22d7150db61ceeeea5b7e7398cdf3b I also like using a hand rake in sand and woodchips or leaves and pine needles https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Xact-Hand-Rake/1001459756 if you want a narrow digging tool you might look into a Hori-Hori knife https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-...p.ds&msclkid=9b2bd330743011f71f30b3c33ab87e5b

I have used a Hori-Hori knife detecting for around forty years and haven't broken it yet.

Question Hori Hori

I have used a Hori-Hori knife detecting for around forty years and haven't broken it yet.

Is the Hori Hori knife symmetrical or the blade concaved so that the serrated edge can be used to cut the turf in a clockwise direction for right handers?
Mrs. atomicbrh and I are both right handed. The demonstrations of the durability of the Hori Hori is impressive for the price.
Siversmith45, did you pick a particular brand of Hori-Hori that lasted 40 years?

Made in America

I've never seen a plastic trowel that could dig in anything but the softest soil or sand. If you want a great steel trowel that won't draw attention then you may consider the Wilcox All Pro 50.
The 9 inch Wilcox is the cheapest trowel you can buy that is really made in America. Amazing Wilcox can sell that for $20 in today's market.

If I had to worry about using a metal trowel vs a plastic one then I would not hunt there. If people are going to pick on my digging trowel then they will just find something else to complain about. Yeah like I want to argue with butt holes on a hunt.

+1 I like this one and any similar for non-scratch once plus is cut. They’ll whittle down over time but…cheap

Ditto here. I carry the Fiskars in the photo and at least one metal digger. I use it mostly in the sand, tot lots, soft dirt. Has held up well -- better than I expected any plastic digger to -- except I did break off the tip (just the tip, lol) -- probably prying on a root or edge of a stubborn soda can. Dumb me, can't blame a plastic digger. It has the added obvious advantage that you don't need to worry about where you leave it laying when you pinpoint or rescan an area. It is not a replacement for a metal digger, though.

I would suggest ANY digging implement is going to raise the attention of the "Karens" out there, however I believe the more trowel-like and less knife-like or certainly shovel-like, the better.

Is the Hori Hori knife symmetrical or the blade concaved so that the serrated edge can be used to cut the turf in a clockwise direction for right handers?
Mrs. atomicbrh and I are both right handed. The demonstrations of the durability of the Hori Hori is impressive for the price.
Siversmith45, did you pick a particular brand of Hori-Hori that lasted 40 years?

When I started it was called a 3-in-1 knife. It had a wooden handle and a slight dish shape to the blade thai makes removing dirt easier. I never worried about a saw edge because I keep it sharp and it will cut through most roots. I finally replaced it so I wouldn't lose it. My original is on the left. You can see how much it has worn over the years from digging and sharpening once in a while. It was the same size as the other when new, I padded it years ago but I think if you are wearing gloves it doesn't really need it. I think most of the wooden handled ones are pretty much the same. I think you can get them on Amazon for around $14.00. Shop around. I don't believe the higher priced ones are any better.
Diggers2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom