SHAME SHAME SHAME, Madison Wisconsin!

Caius Gauge

Hello!

I have not posted much of anything lately. I have been on posting hiatus, although I have been detecting regularly for the last few months. I started a new job, yadda yadda yadda, and I get behind in posting. There will be a catchup post coming soon, BUT, there is something that I just had to address right now and this very minute.

There is a new detector in a few of my regular areas. I know they are new, or inexperienced, or just plain stupid, because of their style, or lack thereof.

I am no detecting god, or anything. I barely pass the grade :lol: I have dug some ugly plugs in my day, but this loser takes the cake. I came across a park in Madison, just across the street from an elementary school on University st., and I spent a MINIMUM of 45 minutes just cleaning up some moron's holes! :mad: The sod was UPSIDE DOWN!?? and was about the diameter of a pizza pan? Oh, to add insult to injury, the pulltabs/foil/trash/etc was just sitting on the ground next to the holes. :mad:

I laughed it off, after I found a ring, and 3$ in clad RIGHT NEXT to the bum's holes. I decided to hit another park up the street a ways, and found the SAME HOLES! Trash and all! I was furious! Whomever is detecting in that area that is new (I assumed that they wouldn't be on this website, as most people old and new are at least versed in the basics of plugs) I hope you find a mentor, or some sense, as this looks TERRIBLE for our hobby, and I was physically embarassed at your total lack of tact in cleaning up your mess. You are supposed to leave the park in BETTER shape than you found it, not make it look like a cheezy slasher flick.

Sorry to sound off everyone, but this was bad. If I had my camera with me, and taken pics, it would have made you sick to your stomach. I didnt want to have to be the one to do it, but I fixed each of the 30+ hotes as best I could...

Thanks for listening. ;)

Yep... Reminds me of the lame I saw at the schoolyard with a shovel and 5 gallon bright orange home depot bucket.. Umm duh! Some people.. My hope is they soon give up.. Which has been the case around here sofar.

They don't think.. They don't read about or research the hobby, They just go out and do.. Therefore I doubt many are succesfull and continue for long..

There was so much disdain in that post, that I even felt kinda guilty. :(

It might be only a matter of time until you run into this goober. I hope it doesn't turn ugly!

Trust me, I was ready to meet Mr. Goober. I had 100 different scenarios in mind. Keep in mind, I am not some big screamer, or some get in your face kinda guy. I just wanted to show them how I dig plugs. Teach a man to fish... you get the idea. I in no way wanted to rip this guy a new one (well, maybe a little). At most, I wanted to show that person how much they were shooting themselves in the foot :roll:

Newbies

I have no qualms about telling someone off that has a blatant disregard for the code of ethics...I give newbies a little leeway, but it is not all that hard to cut a proper plug and return the sod to looking as if you were never there. I came upon an elderly gentleman in a public park swinging an AT Pro and digging with a butter knife...SERIOUSLY!!!...If you had the dough to buy an AT Pro (even used)...You have the dough to at least buy a Fiskars tool from Home Depot...I felt so sorry for this guy that my friend and I offered up an old digger that I had worn the handle off of...I told him to go to Home depot and try to find a handle that fit it...Hopefully he learns how to properly dig a plug. I have a feeling that he will not last long in the hobby.

HH,

Thanks for fixing the mess the best you could. Hopefully the perp will get discouraged by their own stupidity and quit.

You have done this hobby a honor cleaning up after this yo yo. But if you find him just don't let him come my way. I don't think I'd have your patients. Jack

Trust me, I was ready to meet Mr. Goober. I had 100 different scenarios in mind. Keep in mind, I am not some big screamer, or some get in your face kinda guy. I just wanted to show them how I dig plugs. Teach a man to fish... you get the idea. I in no way wanted to rip this guy a new one (well, maybe a little). At most, I wanted to show that person how much they were shooting themselves in the foot :roll:

If I were to run into someone like that, I would first show him the proper technique of making the plugs and explain to him that the way he's doing it puts all metal detector enthusiasts in a "bad light" -- makes us ALL look bad and can definitely hurt the hobby. If the wrong person sees those holes and the damage done, it could put an end to metal detecting in the park or wherever the damage was done. They need a good teacher like I had with Bonesquat -- uh except for gouging coins! :p

My problem of late is the pesky squirrels on the property I hang out at the most. I dig proper plugs and put it back as best I can. Then when I go back the next day, or whenever, some of my plugs are upturned as if I left them that way! So I spend some of my time putting them back in. On the property are a number of pecan trees and the squirrels are having a heyday -- putting pecans in my holes -- they don't have to dig -- just wish they would put the plug back! :laughing:

Making an a** out of ourselves when we come across these situations will not help anything. It is infuriating but we want them to come over to our way of thinking and being rude or ugly about it will not accomplish anything. Kill them with kindness. Invite them on a hunt. Ask them if you can give them some pointers. First give them a pointer that will net them more finds (good will) then how to properly cut and replace a plug (explain why) then show them you finds pouch and some of the many reasons why you should take out the trash (focus on the ones that benefit their future hunts). If you can do this, without contempt of course, then you may win them over. Any other type of confrontation will surely not accomplish the desired goal.

At Pennyfinder, squirrels do not like pepper. Maybe sprinkle some over each plug in problem areas?

Making an a** out of ourselves when we come across these situations will not help anything. It is infuriating but we want them to come over to our way of thinking and being rude or ugly about it will not accomplish anything. Kill them with kindness. Invite them on a hunt. Ask them if you can give them some pointers. First give them a pointer that will net them more finds (good will) then how to properly cut and replace a plug (explain why) then show them you finds pouch and some of the many reasons why you should take out the trash (focus on the ones that benefit their future hunts). If you can do this, without contempt of course, then you may win them over. Any other type of confrontation will surely not accomplish the desired goal.

At Pennyfinder, squirrels do not like pepper. Maybe sprinkle some over each plug in problem areas?

THANK YOU! I'll start carrying it with me!!! That's a new one on me! Never heard that before! :D

Back
Top Bottom