Scubadetective a longtime forum member has passed away. :(

:sicknbed: NEW UPDATE 7-25-21 ScubaDetector
8m ·
7/25 Update
Our dad coded early this morning. We got the call at 5:45am. He is still hanging on. My sister Shelly and I called all family and then rushed over to the hospital. We are still fighting with them to allow us to see our dad. We've been sitting in the parking lot since. Just waiting for the call.
To the gentleman in the white F-150 hauling Foam board who stopped and gave us a hug, I am so sorry we didn't catch your name, but that truly meant so much to us. So thank you, and we hope you have an amazing day!! - Seana

More new information on Robert 07-25-21

This is part of the information on the Go fund me page not listing the link here , just his health information . Hi, I’m one of Robert’s AKA scuba detector daughters. My sister was called at 3 am this morning with the most horrific news we could ask for. My dads lungs are too scared for him to recover. He is still alive but they had to put him on a paralytic so they can keep his oxygen up. The scars are too bad and not allowing oxygen through. :sicknbed:

Last edited:
Small update

Robert's daughter added to her post ScubaDetector :sicknbed::sicknbed:
6h ·
7/25 Update
We are in our dads room now!! We could use all the hugs and support, if you want to stop by McLaren Macomb, you can't miss my dads truck. ❤❤❤ - Seana

Last edited:
Dave, thanx for all your connection attempts. No one can hold a candle to Robert/scuba's altruism. We all love finding things (and bragging) and talking about tech, but Scuba's was almost entirely putting the hobby to good use for others. Ya can't put a value on that. Thus : Thankyou for being such a liaison.

Just doing what i can to help

Dave, thanx for all your connection attempts. No one can hold a candle to Robert/scuba's altruism. We all love finding things (and bragging) and talking about tech, but Scuba's was almost entirely putting the hobby to good use for others. Ya can't put a value on that. Thus : Thankyou for being such a liaison.

Thanks , just doing what i can to Help Robert's (scuba Detective) friends here on the forum keep informed as i know quite a number of them don't have Facebook accounts. His daughter has done a pretty good job of keeping his friends on Facebook in the loop. I have thanked her for the updates and let her know that her dad has a lot of friends on here wishing him the best. I don't know if she had the chance to read him any of the well wishes or not , at least her and her sisters will know how much he means to us on the forum.

That is very sad news. I always enjoyed reading his stories of great finds and was looking for even more thanks to the new boat he just brought home.

Thoughts and prayers certainly go out to Scuba and his family.

Latest update and not good

LATES UP DATE 7-25-21 ScubaDetector
10m ·
Thank you everyone for the continued support, prayers, well wishes, cards, donations, honks and waves while we were in the parking lot...etc. Unfortunately our dad is near the end. His body is too weak to recover, and after coding this morning, the damage is just too much and his body is shutting down despite every and all efforts made by his medical team. My sister and I were able to spend the day with him today, which we are forever grateful. We are allowing the "Gift of life center" 24 hours to test and see if our dad can fulfill his last wish of being an organ donor. I will most likely not be posting an update tomorrow, as it will be the hardest day of my entire life. I know you all will understand. So much love to all of you. ❤💔💔

First, I would like to say thank you David for keeping us up to date on this terrible ongoing situation. I only hope if something ever happened to me someone would put in the same effort to keep those folks who we know up to date on our situations. It's never easy to give difficult news but it's better we know and not be left wondering "what ever happened to...."
Although I never met Robert in person you can tell he is one of the few genuinely great people out there involved with helping out people whenever the call came in at a moments notice.
This thing we have ALL been dealing with for the past year has been terrible, it has devastated many of us financially or emotionally or both.
To everyone else, please take the time and get your shots, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. We shouldn't have to read more stories like this where decent people are lost when the solution is as close as the pharmacy down the street.
I'm not going to say RIP quite yet, but it pains me to say it seems like it's coming round the bend...

Last edited:
I may not have know Scuba very well but from what I have read he seems like he was a very kind and generous person who will be dearly missed by the people who knew him and my thoughts and prayers go out to Scuba and his family.

I may not have know Scuba very well but from what I have read he seems like he was a very kind and generous person who will be dearly missed by the people who knew him and my thoughts and prayers go out to Scuba and his family.

+1 for those who have not been members long enough to remember, just one example of his generosity was the free contests he personally sponsored on the forum in the past, one such contest I was blessed to win and he was a man of his word, he sent the prizes which included a new Equinox 800, about $1000 worth of prizes altogether and even paid for the shipping ! (winning the Nox 800 meant a lot to me as being retired on Social Security because it enabled me to be able to enjoy a detector that was way out of my hobby budget range)

There are more examples of his generosity others can relate, that is just one example.

There are more examples of his generosity .....

Thanx for the reminder of the contests. The list of kindness to others, and good heart, are very deep.

And he was a fierce opponent when it came to debates on how to deal with legal/law things. One of the FEW people I ever conceded ground too. :no:

Robert was a very generous guy

+1 for those who have not been members long enough to remember, just one example of his generosity was the free contests he personally sponsored on the forum in the past, one such contest I was blessed to win and he was a man of his word, he sent the prizes which included a new Equinox 800, about $1000 worth of prizes altogether and even paid for the shipping ! (winning the Nox 800 meant a lot to me as being retired on Social Security because it enabled me to be able to enjoy a detector that was way out of my hobby budget range)

There are more examples of his generosity others can relate, that is just one example.

Don't forget that he also gave Josh one of our younger members a Nox 800 to help him out https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=289794 a very generous guy. Here is Robert's (scuba detective ) post on and offer of it. Josh has named the detector after him. ScubaDetective ScubaDetective is offline
Freshwater Shark

Send a message via Yahoo to ScubaDetective
Josh, I am going to let the cat out of the bag since I have exhausted all my resources on how to do this.

In order to find old coins you have to get your coil over them AND your machine has to be able to get deep signals if you are in a place that has been hammered. I used to hold contests on Friendly and I was going to hold another one for a machine that will soon be out of warranty but I bought a new one so I have another 3 years to go. I gave away two Fisher CZ-21's and a brand new Equinox 800, along with cash, scoops, and silver.

The machine I have is a used Equinox 800. It is yours if I can find a way to get it to you. That is why I wanted to talk to your father. It took a lot of courage to come here at your age and then take the heat that was given you. I was impressed.

Anyway, I have everything it came with waiting for you at no charge. Let me know how this machine can end up in your hands. Maybe just maybe it will give you an edge to recover some awesome stuff.

The mods, owners, and most all the folks that have been on here for a few years know about my contests, my integrity and my finds. Your posts have impressed me as you are not playing video games and you really want to enjoy this hobby and find history.

Your father can reach me on Facebook as Robert Grattan, my pages Scuba Detector or Scuba Detective.

Last edited:
Latest update on robert from his daughter

Just updated by Robert's daughter ScubaDetector
13m ·
Dad passed away peacefully a little after noon. Our hearts are broken deeply. As he always said "live your best life", and that, he most definitely did!! Ironically enough, today marks the 15 year anniversary that we lost our mom, his beloved wife Alison!! I have no doubt in my mind she welcomed him with the happiest of smiles and the biggest damn hug possible!! I am so thankful to have had the best father out there! The most humble, caring, compassionate, goofy, big hearted man ever!! He will be greatly missed by all!! We will be transporting our dad to Utah where he will be buried next to mom. We plan on holding a celebration of his life out here once that has taken place. His memories and infectious laugh will live on forever. Again, if you have anything to share about my dad, please send it to [email protected]. Thank you!! ❤💔❤ -

Rest in Peace Scuba and enjoy the big puddle in the sky. I'm glad you were a part of the FMDF family and learned tons from your posts. Prayers and condolences to your family and thanks to all that kept us updated.

Simply terrible news. I didn't have the pleasure to meet Scuba personally, but I'll never forget his presence on this forum or his incredible generosity - I can't even count how many fantastic contests he ran on this forum, including "Bring On Summer!", which turned into probably the longest running and most participated in contest on the Friendly!

Sincere condolences to all of Scuba's family and friends for a soul lost too soon.

Back
Top Bottom