• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detecting in Massachusetts

So first we're a very small town, if it's no it's no, I just go find somewhere else to detect. We don't have a parks department in our town, so it's the police or the roads department(Town Garage), the roads department won't even give me the time of day. The police on the other hand really appreciate me calling them and giving them a heads up on what I'm up to. I've even had a couple of patrols walk along with me as I go and chat me up. I honestly think they were just making sure I was really being as neat as I say I am with my digging. They even let me scan the poperty the police station is built on, got a IHP there. All in all it's been a positive experience. Only once did they have to come and check on me because of a caller, someone saw me on the town beach with a pair of binoculars and told the police I was there with a weapon in my hand (metal detector) lol. She saw me from the other side of the pond.

I got a great spot for you to detect in Webster. PM me and I'll hook ya up. WOLF

Easy for me to decide whether to hunt a piece of property.

Posted/No Trespassing areas means i don't hunt there(unless I have asked for and received permission)

Public property that doesn't specifically prohibit metal detecting I will hunt.

Public property that specifically prohibits metal detecting i will not hunt.

Cemeteries are off limits to me.

I won't ask about metal detecting on public property if it isn't expressly prohibited by signage, or otherwise published/available sources such as website, brochures etc.

I don't worry about phrases like "disturb", "deface", "dig" etc., as long as dogs !!!! and pee on the same ground, soccer cleats, baseball cleats do much worse.....

Don't sneak around. If you aren't prohibited from hunting, do it with as much enthusiasm and confidence anyone else using the same real estate exhibit.

I like this, especially the bit about cemetaries, I would think that would go without saying, but I've seen at least 2 websites list them as places to go detecting, seems tacky to me.

Down here in Dudley Massachusetts, if I'm in doubt, I call my local police dept. And very politely explain what I'm doing and where I want to do it and get their blessing. I always make sure to write down the officer's name in case I have a patrolling officer stop me and ask.

I have found this to be the best way to go about it. During the pandemic, most of the “regional supervisors” were laid off from DCR, or their offices were closed. I called for weeks with no answers. I finally started calling the local police departments. They might ask you to call a different department based on jurisdiction, but they’re generally pretty amenable.

There's nothing left in the Boston parks! :O
My buddy and I pounded the !!!! out of them in the mid-80s! Found a lot of great stuff. Never asked permission, but did hit the parks EARLY on the weekends to avoid junkies and bangers!
Also, the first and only time I ever got passed driving on a 2 lane street....ON THE RIGHT!!!!!

There's nothing left in the Boston parks! :O
My buddy and I pounded the !!!! out of them in the mid-80s! Found a lot of great stuff. Never asked permission, but did hit the parks EARLY on the weekends to avoid junkies and bangers!
Also, the first and only time I ever got passed driving on a 2 lane street....ON THE RIGHT!!!!!

:laughing: welcome to Massachusetts!

Passed on the right? That guy was a “Masshole!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Clizz - the laws around here can definitely be a bit confusing. Generally speaking, anything controlled by DCR is off limits unless you get permission from the area supervisor. Here’s the tricky bit - “Area Supervisor” isn’t a technical term defining any one role. Normally it would go to a very specific office at DCR for any given park, beach, etc. However getting permission from them is really tough since I have yet to find one who answers the phone. Instead, you can go to the people who would enforce any issues and just call the local PD (or troopers) that has jurisdiction. They usually don’t care and will give you a blanket, “yeah, go for it” response. This gives you a signoff and ensures that, if they get called, they already know you’re there and probably won’t care. If a car does show up, you can just tell them you called in. You may still get asked to leave by someone on site, but that isn’t terrible.

Now as for good locations, there are a few really good ones in the area:
* Revere Beach is the oldest recreational beach in the country - it’s also pretty well worked, though.
* Hampton Beach in NH isn’t too far away and is always good for a few coins and rings
* Newport, RI isn’t too far away either and has a good mix of coins, jewelry, and good restaurants (just as important, right?)
* Dogtown is an old ghost town near Gloucester. It’s definitely worth a visit, but don’t both detecting the gravel paths - they’re full of slag metal.
* beaches in Marblehead are all ok, but you’ll get some weird looks and a lot of people stopping you to ask what you find. It isn’t bad, but slows you down.
* Beaches in Swampscott are all ok too, but trust me - you don’t want to be on those beaches… the smell…

I have found this to be the best way to go about it. During the pandemic, most of the “regional supervisors” were laid off from DCR, or their offices were closed. I called for weeks with no answers. I finally started calling the local police departments. They might ask you to call a different department based on jurisdiction, but they’re generally pretty amenable.

Call Governor [lame duck] Baker. You’re his neighbor, no? Bet he’ll let you detect the grounds of his mansion :yes:

Found an old post on this thread from what seems ages ago.Starting again soon.
I am so sure Salem,MA would be a fantastic place to hunt, but as I said I have been told its off limits.
Lots of older and newer parks around, someone always looking down my park just down the street, but I gave it a pretty good look ages ago. Best spot swas under swings and near basketball court.
Its should have loads of stuff from the 60's, since it was used for firework displays and had all sorts of little carts for eating hot dogs and stuff.
I remember the park being literally filled with people waiting for the barrel bonfire and fireworks display every 4th of July.
But its literally been searched dry.

Tribal land is off limits. Ask permission and be fully insured. Know were all the underground utilities are. I have seen gas lines run straight through the middle of one property to the neighbors.

As general practice, state and federal land is generally off limits. You can usually get permission to hunt the beaches in state parks. As far as public parks go, hunt away. Unless it is posted at the park, it is fair game. Worst thing they can do is ask you to leave. Do not that some public parks are designated as federal/state historic sites and hunting there is of course not recommended. Such areas are usually well marked and it is very clear you should not hunt there. Public fresh water beaches are fair game (unless a state park, and in that case you need to talk to the rangers to get permission). Pretty sure public spaces such as the Boston Common and Lexington Green are off limits as they are more likely than not "National Historic Sites". Old North Bridge is of course a national/state park and is off limits as well. Other off limits places of note - The Quabbin Watershed, Plumb Island, Cape Code National Sea Shore (which covers a lot more of the Cape than just beachs - so be careful), Minuteman National Park. Common sense rules the roost here.
I live in Connecticut and was just saying to my wife the other day, when weather is better we should spend a couple days in Cape Cod and go detecting. Haven't been there since about 1966 when my parents took me there on a little weekend vacation. So we are not allowed to detect in and around the Cape? I thought beaches, walking trails and such we OK? Well,. Guess we better head to Maine next mini vacation.

I live in Connecticut and was just saying to my wife the other day, when weather is better we should spend a couple days in Cape Cod and go detecting. Haven't been there since about 1966 when my parents took me there on a little weekend vacation. So we are not allowed to detect in and around the Cape? I thought beaches, walking trails and such we OK? Well,. Guess we better head to Maine next mini vacation.
It’s the Cape Cod National Seashore that’s off limits. Lots of MDers on the Cape

Here is a map illustrating the Cape cod National Seashore:
Screenshot_20230223-061941_Google.jpg
Anything shaded in green is OFF limits for detecting unfortunately, but there is still plenty of huntable shoreline. I have never hunted a MA saltwater beach. I go to NH, RI, or CT when I want to beach hunt. Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom