A fair price for junk silver.

Analog_Kid

Today I stopped at a garage sale. Do you remember those black, ceramic panthers that they used to sell back in the 50's/60's? Yeah, I bought one. I dropped a whole $8 for it because I've always wanted one, even as a child.

The panther belonged to a woman who inherited it from her father, who was a WWII vet. As the woman and I started to come to an agreement, I could tell that she was rather apprehensive about letting it go. But she put her bravest face forward and decided that it was time to move on. Needless to say, the panther now rests in my living room. It will be well taken care of and I feel it an honor to have the panther in my home.

This evening when I bought the panther, the lady mentioned that she also had some old coins from her father that he'd kept for quite some time. She brought them out for me to look at after I told her that I'm interested in coins. Her father had amassed a small amount of junk silver that I'm willing to purchase from her. Barber dimes, Barber quarters, Rosies, silver quarters, Mercury dimes, etc. She even had a 1921 Morgan silver dollar, but had no idea what it was.

Most of the coins were truly junk silver, heavily used and weathered. But some of the coins, like the Morgan, were in pretty good shape. I told her that I'm definitely interested in purchasing the coins from her and that I would pay her a fair price. Respect is practically hard-wired into our DNA as metal detectorists and numismatists.

So, for about 10 silver quarters, 1 Barber quarter, 2 barber dimes, a few Rosies and Mercuries, what do you think would be a fair price?

Spot is fully fair. A good coin dealer would probably give her 90% of spot.

I think spot is a fair price, and spot has been going down recently. Right now with spot at $15.37 per oz that would be about 11.1 x face value. So $1.11 per dime and $2.78 per quarter.

Any silver at spot is a good price for both parties.
On the upside for the buyer of an old jar af coins sometimes a few semi key dates can be found or others with a little collector value.

Respect is practically hard-wired into our DNA as metal detectorists and numismatists.

Thats a nice line there, pretty much sums us up! True appreciators aint never gonna rip off a little old Widow Lady.....not for nothing or any amount of profit......Or anybody else for that matter, we simply cannot do it!...It aint worth the damage to our soul.....(Some would consider this honesty gene a character flaw).....Good on ya...I liked your post..and the cut of your jib Brother!....

On that ceramic black panther? Makes perfect sense you were attracted to it.....Reminded me of Rudyard Kiplings "The Jungle Book"...Bagheera the Panther was the real hero there...took care of the weak/defenseless etc...

Even though he could easily kill and gobble up a damned little kid? I know its not real world, a wild Panther would deff kill a little kid!...Its an allegory...For some Men on this Planet,...the shepherds/protectors and finders of the weak and lost....cant help ourselves...not everyone is so wired, rare...very encouraged to see you are....So yeah, that ceramic black Panther is a pretty cool visual...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom