Park1 or Park2 for silver?

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I have been using Park2 and 5 tones pretty much from the get go. I really can't complain about my success with the Nox 800 finding silver in Park2. My question is the other day I thought I read where someone said Park1 was hitting silver harder than Park2.

Am I making a mistake staying in Park2 instead of using Park1 for realitively clean yards and parks?

I am a silver coin hunter by choice and I went to using Park1 over Park2, very quickly. I have since read that Park1 is frequency weighted for the lower frequencies. Nothing gets the deeper, high conductor signals better than low frequency. From working in RF as a profession, it makes perfect logical sense.

I did of course test both programs in the field many times back when I first got my Nox 600. Park1 gave much cleaner tones on silver and high conductance tones from clad coins. It will still find nickels and square tabs GRRRRRR!

If I were to consider using Park2, I think I'd run the recovery speed lower, to stretch the tone a bit longer. Otherwise, IMPO, Park2 tone detection is just too brief for high conductor, coin sized targets.

In my area (soil) park 2 deeper on higher, medium and lower conductors. Coin sized. Like dimes, quarters, and nickels and pennies. As well as relics like buttons, etc.

And using EQX800 using prospecting mode 1 my unit deeper still vs park 2.

Cheers.

tnsharpshooter and Martin v3i what are your average GB numbers where you live?

It depends on which detect mode I am using.
Park 2 field 2 I see GB number in 44-54 range. If I GB in these same spots using park 1 field 1 you can subtract 10 points roughly.

I have read folks living where ground is inert mineral wise, park 2 deeper than park 1.

This afternoon at a local park I got into a area that produced 3 Wheat cents and 2 Merc dimes. All were at the edge of being undetectable with the stock Equinox coil at least in my dirt. Sensitivity was at 20 and could go no higher due to EMI. I actually had on 18 to keep it calm but raised it back to 20 when I got a little further away from what was causing the chatter. The photo of digger in hole is representative of the depth of all the coins I dug in that area. I'm guessing 8"-9". I was in Park2 all the coins were very soft but high pitched beeps. Numbers would jump from normal to below normal numbers for pennies and dimes. My GB was in the upper 50's in Park2 for this place.

I am wondering if Park1 would have hit them better than Park2 seeing it's not very trashy. I think I will try Park1 tomorrow.

Attachments

• merc1.jpg
    merc1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,544
  • merc2.jpg
    merc2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,578
  • depth1.jpg
    depth1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,563
I've had better luck using park 1...I checked on just a few targets and park 1 gave a slightly better signal. I can't remember if any of the targets were silver, but I know for sure one of them was a deeper (6-7") wheatie.

I have used Park 2 almost exclusively since I started with the 800 last Feb. I recently switched to Park 1-rec 4--ib 2. But also digging alot of rusty iron in P 1. I ground balance only when things get noisy. Good luck Mark

This afternoon at a local park I got into a area that produced 3 Wheat cents and 2 Merc dimes. All were at the edge of being undetectable with the stock Equinox coil at least in my dirt. Sensitivity was at 20 and could go no higher due to EMI. I actually had on 18 to keep it calm but raised it back to 20 when I got a little further away from what was causing the chatter. The photo of digger in hole is representative of the depth of all the coins I dug in that area. I'm guessing 8"-9". I was in Park2 all the coins were very soft but high pitched beeps. Numbers would jump from normal to below normal numbers for pennies and dimes. My GB was in the upper 50's in Park2 for this place.

I am wondering if Park1 would have hit them better than Park2 seeing it's not very trashy. I think I will try Park1 tomorrow.
Great finds! Maybe next time when you think you have a deep coin switch between the two also don’t forget to noise cancel and re ground balance when you switch.

I learned from my Nokta Impact that the lower the frequency, the harder it hits on silver. Therefore I use Park 1 since the frequencies are weighted to the lower end when you are running in multi-frequency mode.

In my tests they both seem to be about the same on depth except on nickels. Park and field 2 are deeper on the nicks. It seems like I get more consistent ID numbers in Park 1 (closer to the actual ID #). Especially when I do separation tests by scattering nails and putting a dime in there. For example when using park 1 to try to hit that dime I get some 20s in the window. Switch to park 2 and I still hit the dime but the #s might drop to numbers less than 10 giving me a much lower tone. Not that I care about #s in iron but the higher the tone the more likely I am to investigate. Its all gonna be site and soil specific. just have to flip back and forth and see what hits better in your area. I start in park 1 and after I feel like i've got everything from an area I go back over it in park 2 if I have time.

Last edited:
I set Park1 up like I have Park2 set up tones wise. I went back and did not dig even one Wheat. I did dig a super deep lead dress weight. It had to be close to a foot deep. I did dig more iron in Park1. I had iron bias turned down to zero which was way to low I guess. I can't remember if I bumped it up before I left or not, but will before I use again. I really don't dig iron very much at all in Park2 with the bias set to zero so I was a little surprised I was getting fooled by iron in Park1 so bad.

I also thought the VID jumped around a lot more in Park1. I will continue to play with it and see if I can find any pluses to running in Park1. By the way I always ran my Nokta Impact in 14khz. as if seemed to find me more silver. At least in the trashy places.

I am just curious, does minelab state which frequencies the different modes use? Since park one seems to be deeper it seems like it would start at the lowest frequency at 5 khz. Seems like this would be good info to make a decision on what mode to use for what type of hunting that you do.

I am just curious, does minelab state which frequencies the different modes use? Since park one seems to be deeper it seems like it would start at the lowest frequency at 5 khz. Seems like this would be good info to make a decision on what mode to use for what type of hunting that you do.

+1

I use Park 1, 5 tones, recovery 3 in somewhat clean ground/recovery 6 in trashy spots, iron bias 0, sensitivity as high as it'll go without chattering a lot, auto ground balanced and noise canceled for the site. I've been killing it this year doing this!

Friggin' Aye! That woulda been Super Helpful upfront information!

I was runnin' my NOX in Windmill 2!...no specific reason or understanding, except when I got it, and scrolled through the settings, it was windy as hell out that day!...:laughing:

I started out using just park 2 and found some silver with it right away , but then got to thinkin if park 1 is weighted lower then could possibly be deeper on silver. I started using 1 and have found more silver with it than 2. This could just be coincidence of course , but it boosted my confidence in park 1. I have since learned that I am not truly finished with an area until I have gone over it with every mode available. Sometimes the tiniest of changes can make a good target stand out where it didn't before , and the changes don't necessarily have to make logical sense. If its " different " from what you used at an earlier time then its a unique perspective you didn't have before. Almost like hunting with a completely different detector. I read some saying they thought the equinox would be better than some other one , but they searched an entire area in just one mode/setting and found nothing at all so the NOX must not live up to the hype ,......ummmmmm , that's barely scratching the surface of what the NOX can do. There are many more mode and setting combinations , and each one offers a unique look into the ground and expanded potential.

Use Park1 and Park2 on the same targets to see which one does the best. It's super easy to switch between the two programs.

beephead

I started out using just park 2 and found some silver with it right away , but then got to thinkin if park 1 is weighted lower then could possibly be deeper on silver. I started using 1 and have found more silver with it than 2. This could just be coincidence of course , but it boosted my confidence in park 1. I have since learned that I am not truly finished with an area until I have gone over it with every mode available. Sometimes the tiniest of changes can make a good target stand out where it didn't before , and the changes don't necessarily have to make logical sense. If its " different " from what you used at an earlier time then its a unique perspective you didn't have before. Almost like hunting with a completely different detector. I read some saying they thought the equinox would be better than some other one , but they searched an entire area in just one mode/setting and found nothing at all so the NOX must not live up to the hype ,......ummmmmm , that's barely scratching the surface of what the NOX can do. There are many more mode and setting combinations , and each one offers a unique look into the ground and expanded potential.

Agreed! When you have the ability to change settings that matter ALOT you have essentially “switched machines”. Were not talking about different disc patterns here,we are actually talking about frequency transmission. And that matters ALOT!

My issue with Park1 was that I tended to be fooled by deep iron targets over six inches deep easier than in Park2. Not sure if that makes sense? It has been the case with me though. I seldom dig any iron using Park2 on the same sites that I get fooled when using Park1.

I have dug several deep Wheats and Mercs at a local park. These deep coins were border line iffy, but it was more than a gut feeling they were good targets. Again the targets were deep, but when circled the I.D. still gave a good indication they were coins.

When I went back I used my Park2 settings in Park1 and started getting fooled by deep iron nails and coin sized iron items using the same methodology I had been using in Park2. I switched back to Park2 and while I found no more deep coins I did not dig anymore iron with the iron bias on 0. Maybe I needed to increase the iron bias in Park1?

Back
Top Bottom