Should i dig midtones in trashy areas?

nelsondetecting

I just recently got into metal detecting and i ended up buying an Ace 400. Every time i go into parks im just getting constant mid tones and every time i dig them its just a pop tab or a can so im pretty much set on digging anything in the 70s. I know i could be missing a lot of stuff but im just not sure how to tell whether its worth it or not in really trashy areas like camp grounds and parks. Any ideas?

I wouldn't recommend digging every one of those mid tone signals (you'll get very bored, very quickly).

I'd suggest you should mainly focus on the higher tone signals, but get into the habit of digging a mid tone (or 'junk' signal) every now and then (about every 10 higher signal targets for me)

Yes, you will be missing some good stuff, but you can dig pull tabs and can bits for hours on end and that's no fun. Remember, occasionally gold rings will ring up quite high. I found an 11g gold ring last year that sounded like a US penny (or an Australian 1c coin in my case).

Here's some other good stuff I've found by digging pull tabs/foil signals:

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 212
Really depends on you and what your hunting for.

Relics at an old home site or ghost town, ABSOLUTELY! You will find some cool brass lead, tin and bronze items.

If your hunting coin and jewelry in a public place or a former public place probably if you want to find gold, and dont mind digging aluminum trash.

Coins (US) in a public setting and don't mind skipping the 1 to a gazillion odds of finding a gold coin. , then No!

To each their own but I tend to ignore the mid tones and concentrate mainly on the high tones and the "nickel" segment on the Garrett machines. Maybe over the years I've missed a few good targets but I've saved a lot of time allowing me to dig more "good" targets AND save a lot of wear and tear on my knees. Try to pay attention to those mid tone numbers and if it ends up being a junk target ignore those particular numbers.

It all depends on a mix of what you're hoping to find, the history of the site, how much time you have on the site, how much you are allowed to dig until it starts to add up and make the site look worse, and your level of patience.

Make some rules for yourself about the mid tones. Only dig a certain range, or depth, or stability in signal. If that rule results in continuing to find junk, then change the rule. Ignore anything shallow, or anything deep (for those recent ring drops). Or only dig repeatable, stable nickel signals. Stick with some strategy and through that process you'll learn more and more. Just keep in mind that people who find a lot of rings either dig a lot of trash or they did when they first started.

Just gotta dig em! I popped a 10k gold ring within a month of getting into the hobby cause I was digging any sold high or low. I wont dig broken up or scratchy signals in the parks, 99.99999% of the time its junk, but sold high and lows ill dig up.

Since you are totally new to this Sport, you must concentrate on developing an understanding of the sounds...This is an Audio Primary Sport, and as such, it takes a while for your brain to sync with what the dirt is saying. Similar to learning a musical instrument, you gotta put in the time to develop a keen well tuned ear...

So...You go out and concentrate on each and every tone and try to get an idea of what it is and how deep it is and what its profile signature is saying to YOUR BRAIN! Dont trust your eyes on the screen all the time, use them to look around at the surroundings for potential locations....Its all repetitive, the more tones you subject your brain to, the faster it will learn...

This brings up another important skill for Noobies to learn...EXCAVATION Ergonomics! Not every target needs the same amount of effort to exhume...some are no more than a few inches down in the grass roots and can be swiftly and easily popped out with a screwdriver..chip totter targets are exposed quickly with the kick of your foot...

You can condense your learning curve immensely if you get really good and FAST at target excavation...Meaning, in one outing, if you pull 200 targets instead of 50, you are gaining a HUGE experiential Brain immersion advantage!

So your ears are to evaluate the signals..Your eyes are to evaluate the sites, your excavation efforts must be smooth and fast and simple and above all comfortable...you may find you develop a unique digging style and specific tools that work for you...You may find you dont have to kneel down for each and every target...

Concentrate on dispersing the physical effort on your entire physical platform so you are not hurting in one place in particular, just an overall workout feeling...I myself do a wide legged stoop like a Giraffe taking a drink...its comfortable and fast and the weight of my upper body is utilized to provide what kind of digging power I need...

You will get it, we all went through this...after 10,000 targets or so, you will be a dirt virtuoso...then you can decide what or what not to dig, but for now, consider yourself in Dirt Band Camp and get a good foundation to build upon! How fast can you pop 10,000 targets? Well, lets just start with a rate of 20/hr for now...do this in 2hrs and come back with the 40 target junkshot...

Then the next time out, you set a rate of 40/hr, then 60, then before you know it, you will be amazed...Find the most target heavy trashy parks and get busy with your education...

Back
Top Bottom