Need Suggestions for "Best" Sand Scoop with Handle

spenglure

Elite Member
Hey guys - I'm looking for suggestions on a sand scoop for water hunting. Will be hitting depths from 6" up to 3 feet, possibly more. My current sand scoop is just hand held. I need your suggestions for the best sand scoop for extracting targets shallow water beach hunting. I see there are some different handles to choose from. I would like the most manageable long handle.

Thanks!

Although a little pricier, a Sunspot Stealth (either 720 or 920) with a carbon fiber handle will be the #1 answer. 3 feet? :lol:

Hey guys - I'm looking for suggestions on a sand scoop for water hunting. Will be hitting depths from 6" up to 3 feet, possibly more. My current sand scoop is just hand held. I need your suggestions for the best sand scoop for extracting targets shallow water beach hunting. I see there are some different handles to choose from. I would like the most manageable long handle.

Thanks!

Here is a reference article I wrote on scoops.... http://detecting365.com/5-year-review-sand-scoops/

Also, check out this link for a list of scoop manufacturers... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232849

Bottom line is you need to buy a quality scoop. Aluminum is not necessarily lighter than stainless steel. Also, stainless comes in varied thicknesses and of course craftsmanship of creating the assembly varies too. As Felix mentioned, carbon fiber shafts ($100-200) will reduce the weight of the handle and are very, very strong!

I have owned most of the popular brands and fabricated several too. In the end, my Sunspot Stealth scoop is my favorite and lasted through the years without a single issue.

Thanks!
my opinion you do not have a big choice ... :D
You can take in one hand Sunspot Stealth 720 in the second Stavr Evroexcavator-2 v.22 and determine what is best for you ;)

You can take in one hand Sunspot Stealth 720 in the second Stavr Evroexcavator-2 v.22 and determine what is best for you ;)

I agree, the two best out there. Built to last.

Watched the video and prefer a scoop angled so I can drive it into the sand using my foot not pulling it towards me. Sometimes your digging in rocky beaches and that would be tough with a scoop you cant use your foot/weight on.

I suppose it's possible to configure this in such a way that a person could have not only the arm-cuff pistol-grip, but ALSO the angle to be able to turn it around for a foot-push.

But be aware: This is going to add weight. The stealth scoop, for pete's sake, is heavy , as you know.

I use the Stealth 720i with the carbon fiber handle and it’s as important as my choice in detectors. I wouldn’t be without it.
I personally don’t find it heavy at all. It’s also angled for easier use (for me).
You can call Chuck at Sunspot and ask about the actual weight.
Good luck!

Thanks!

Although a little pricier, a Sunspot Stealth (either 720 or 920) with a carbon fiber handle will be the #1 answer. 3 feet? :lol:

Here is a reference article I wrote on scoops.... http://detecting365.com/5-year-review-sand-scoops/

Also, check out this link for a list of scoop manufacturers... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232849

Bottom line is you need to buy a quality scoop. Aluminum is not necessarily lighter than stainless steel. Also, stainless comes in varied thicknesses and of course craftsmanship of creating the assembly varies too. As Felix mentioned, carbon fiber shafts ($100-200) will reduce the weight of the handle and are very, very strong!

I have owned most of the popular brands and fabricated several too. In the end, my Sunspot Stealth scoop is my favorite and lasted through the years without a single issue.

Here's my suggestion, in this video I made :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0hgdwcD9A

I gotta go with Felix on this one. THe Stealth is a fantastic scoop and will pay for itself in less frustration and recoverys

Watched the video and prefer a scoop angled so I can drive it into the sand using my foot not pulling it towards me. Sometimes your digging in rocky beaches and that would be tough with a scoop you cant use your foot/weight on.

I agree, the two best out there. Built to last.

I suppose it's possible to configure this in such a way that a person could have not only the arm-cuff pistol-grip, but ALSO the angle to be able to turn it around for a foot-push.

But be aware: This is going to add weight. The stealth scoop, for pete's sake, is heavy , as you know.

I use the Stealth 720i with the carbon fiber handle and it’s as important as my choice in detectors. I wouldn’t be without it.
I personally don’t find it heavy at all. It’s also angled for easier use (for me).
You can call Chuck at Sunspot and ask about the actual weight.
Good luck!

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I will check these out this evening! Yes, I am probably limited to three feet at this time with current detectors. I may go deeper when money allows! :)

The Stavr Evroexcavator-2 v.22 has been a great scoop for me, i have had zero issues with quality in the maybe six or seven years i have owned it, nice and light too!

X2 I have the both. The 920 I use when I know I'll spend the most time in water to avoid missing the target, the 720 is light to carry on land when hitting water & beach targets! Great warranties and customer service!

3+ feet....... you need to work on your PPing or sizing and stop digging cans.:laughing: Takes awhile to LEARN how to dig properly too. I think a lot of people found that out with the Sun Spot its a pretty long scoop. YOu cant bury the scoop and move that much material like a 2 ton Ape without something breaking. What i like about the Sun Spot is the point..... neck deep in hard pan its hard to get a bite without the rounded ones rolling on you. Think about your areas as well when selecting..... hole size can make a HUGE difference.

Dew

The Stavr Evroexcavator-2 v.22 has been a great scoop for me, i have had zero issues with quality in the maybe six or seven years i have owned it, nice and light too!

I have this Stavr scoop as well and it's my favorite. The Stealth 720 is my backup but it is also built to last. I seem to be able to retrieve targets faster with the Stavr- it may have to do with the fact that the Stavr doesn't have that reinforcing bracket inside the bottom of the scoop like the Stealth has. :yes:

I have this Stavr scoop as well and it's my favorite. The Stealth 720 is my backup but it is also built to last. I seem to be able to retrieve targets faster with the Stavr- it may have to do with the fact that the Stavr doesn't have that reinforcing bracket inside the bottom of the scoop like the Stealth has. :yes:

My 720 is my go to scoop... I have a Stavr as my back up ;) It was Fsa46 scoop I got it from him when he quit the hobby.

Did you any comparison TESTS yet between the Stealth and Stavr :?: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I like the Stealth better... it penetrates where I hunt easier... plus the 720i with the CF shaft is way lighter than the Stavr with the fiberglass handle Frank had on it.

Cfm-ct

I here ya Craig, gearing up for the up coming season, since i am at the beach now, i will hunt more, even land 1800 history- i am sitting on :shock:, Civil war here to, let the good times roll, 10 miles from the beach, thanks for your comparison test, i agree i have a M-9, the Stealth's win the grab and go award, happy hunting , Earl PS for the thread maker, i like the 920IX with Chucks coated ash handles, a few more ozs, but saves some bucks .

John Volek makes a scoop called Xtreme Scoop. He's new to the scoop scene you could say but has spent a ton of time to bring his scoop to the market. I bought one and I can only compare it to the t-rex one I had before it and it beats it hands down. He has an agreement with Anderson and sells their carbon fiber handle to go with his scoop as well as an ash handle. I don't have a dog in the hunt other than to say i'm a happy customer and his are worth looking at.

Here's what I could find for an address
https://www.facebook.com/XtremeScoops/

Back
Top Bottom