• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

found this while going through my collectibles

pan4au

Elite Member
I was going through some of my collectibles and ran across a dime that I got during a field trip Oak Ridge national laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee when I was in school in Knoxville way back when..
Since it's silver.. it shows my age.. lol

Attachments

• irradiated dime.jpg
    irradiated dime.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 308
Was more of a lame joke. :p

Very neat collectable though!

GLK: Thanks for the link, pretty interesting.

That is really neat !!!! .....and yours is in really good condition !

I just did a search and found a page called "Irradiated Dimes - (1950s, 1960s)"

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/medalsmementoes/dimes.htm

Here is a picture from the above link -

View attachment 401767

Cool item, pan4au! (I didn’t want to say “relic”...implies more age than you probably want to be contemporary with!)

Thanks for that link, GKL. Fascinating stuff! I found the contrast between the 1950s press release and the more detailed, modern description of the process to be the most interesting. Made me wonder if the press release was just watered down for public consumption, or if the scientific knowledge wasn’t sophisticated enough yet to understand that the different isotopes of silver had drastically different half-lives! I was expecting the kicker to be that the dimes turned out to be far more radioactive than they thought :shock: Glad to see that doesn’t seem to be the case :grin:

Very cool. I wonder if it is still radioactive? I'm sure that there are some of these irradiated coins floating around today.
No.. from what I've read they have a short life.. about 30 seconds

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

So do they glow in the dark? Better yet, do YOU glow in the dark now?!!?! :D[emoji38]
No, they are only radioactive a few minutes after being irradiated. I probably had it for 50 years and I'm almost normal. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom