Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bentfork View post
Wrong! I guess folks don't really know or they want to be rumor mongers that Coinstar machines are evil. Coinstar machines in grocery stores and other shopping areas like Walmart have an option, and have had an option for years that let the user take a credit with Amazon and other sponsors. If you chose to take one of those as a credit you are NOT CHARGED A FEE! Read the directions on the Coinstar machine and you'll see that. The bona fide Coinstars in banks don't have that option for a reason. I don't use Coinstar very often, but when I do I use one in a Walmart and I take an Amazon credit. I'm not tapped for a fee. It's still money.

But just in case...

http://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCounting
Too bad they don't offer Wal-mart credits. That would be like cash, since that is where I buy groceries. No Kroger here.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

When you come right down to it, money is money, and they should accept it and return it to the Government/Mint by what ever way means they choose, and get reimbursed with good coins.

As coins and paper money wear out or get beat up it is merely taken out of circulation.

I don't see where the bank can decide what condition the legal tender has to be in before they will accept it.

I think that is B.S.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Bank are always finding a reason not to help you but to take your $$ ...Not your coins..LOL....yeah bust them a new one....

Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Elite Member

My bank doesn't have a coin counter. They require me to roll my own coins before depositing them. I also have to write my account # on each roll. I went there recently to deposit about $300 in coins, about 1/2 were dug and cleaned in my tumbler. The other half was just accumulated pocket change. I had a couple of loose Sacajawea dollar coins I threw in and they were discolored. The teller refused to take them. I smiled, accepted them back but certainly didn't tell them that much of what I had in rolls looked exactly like the dollar coins.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Take them to a soda machine and put them in and get clean coins back and let them deal with it. That's what I do if I'm at a park and they have a soda machine just put them in and get different ones back.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by TmONEy2108 View post
Take them to a soda machine and put them in and get clean coins back and let them deal with it. That's what I do if I'm at a park and they have a soda machine just put them in and get different ones back.
Come on.. give the poor tech that has to keep the coin changers working a break. Nasty clad can really mess them up. At least wash em off first.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Some of our local banks have coin counters in the lobby. Pour in the clad, out pops a receipt. You don't need to have an account either. Hand the receipt to a teller and get cash. Maybe some banks in your area does too.

For God so loved the world John 3:16 KJV

Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM

I use TD and same thing, free machine that you put your coins into and they give you a ticket to give to the teller. Haven't cashed in large amounts of clad yet though.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

I can't believe that the banks are refusing the coins just because they lost their original luster!

Next time you cash a check go through the change and make sure it is not "damaged!!" Tell that teller. I am sorry this dime has lost its original luster, I can't accept it. What do they think they are PCGS???

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RyanChappell View post
I can't believe that the banks are refusing the coins just because they lost their original luster!

Next time you cash a check go through the change and make sure it is not "damaged!!" Tell that teller. I am sorry this dime has lost its original luster, I can't accept it. What do they think they are PCGS???
Belive it. Heck...banks in my area started doing this a couple years ago. It does suck but you manage to find ways around the situation.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM

Since we don't have a tumbler, I scrub the coins I'm planning to take to the bank this winter. They are still discolored but readable. Hopefully my bank will take them back, right now I can't justify spending money on tumbler. Maybe I can find a coin star--it will be interesting trying to turn in some of my zincolns.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

I'ma go to ShopRite and buy batteries with my clad anyhows.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by stringfrenzy View post
Belive it. Heck...banks in my area started doing this a couple years ago. It does suck but you manage to find ways around the situation.
The federal reserve will take them for face value if they are heavily warn or stained, and scrap them. I think actual mutilated coins they buy for scrap prices.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

I use a HF tumbler, aquarium gravel (any color) and CLR cleaner. In about two hours of tumbling the coins come out looking new, except for a couple of stubborn ones. Maybe an ounce of CLR, and some water will do wonders for your coins and appease the bank snobs who are afraid to touch a discolored coin. Also, I'd check into doing business with a credit union, much more friendly to their customers.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger Magoo View post
I use a HF tumbler, aquarium gravel (any color) and CLR cleaner. In about two hours of tumbling the coins come out looking new, except for a couple of stubborn ones. Maybe an ounce of CLR, and some water will do wonders for your coins and appease the bank snobs who are afraid to touch a discolored coin. Also, I'd check into doing business with a credit union, much more friendly to their customers.
Better get the CLR off of your pennies with baking soda when you are through. I think they will continue to deteriorate if you don't. I would not use CLR on any coins you are going to keep, like wheats.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

I had a chuckle the other day at a quickie gas station. I bought something inside at the counter, got change, and there was an obvious bedragled penny which I just knew was a dug coin. I studied it solently, smiled to myself, and the clerk asked, "Do you want a different coin?" I just said, "No, it's just that I know where this one came from."

Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by RyanChappell View post
Better get the CLR off of your pennies with baking soda when you are through. I think they will continue to deteriorate if you don't. I would not use CLR on any coins you are going to keep, like wheats.
Just use it for clad and pennies intended for re-circulation. Although when I threw Zinclons in the solution, they fizzed up pretty good where the zinc is exposed.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SBA701 View post
I took in $40 worth of clad today and the bank said that this was the last time. They told me that the government considers them mutilated and will not except them. The counter will count them with no problem but they do not shine like they are supposed to. It looks like coin star for me.
As we are in the same county, what bank was this?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Elite Member

This is all quite ridiculous. Not taking coins because they aren't shiny new. What a joke. I have some discolored $1 coins. They been laying around, got them as change from the Subway card machine, thats all it gives. I think I finally turned them in, nothing was said. But coins can't be all new. Take them somewhere that takes rolled coins.

Neither of my banks has a coin sorter in the lobby. One bank takes rolls and the other takes your bag of coins in the back. I'd love if there was a bank with a coin sorter in the lobby. I'd go use it just to check the reject tray.