Cleaned with Conklin Gel

towzilla

Elite Member
Here's some Pictures of clad I cleaned with Conklin multi-surface gel. I've never tried CLR but sounds like good stuff as well. This stuff is $7 a pint. Very concentrated. I clean the coins first with just dish soap rinse off clean then re tumble with about a teaspoon of gel. These coin tumbled for about 4-5 hours. Found it at conklin.com. Some of these coins were orange from fertilizers. And all were very dirt stained some of the dimes still show some orange tint.

Attachments

• pics ect 445.jpg
    pics ect 445.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,055
Cleaning Gel Best I've ever used.

Click here: Multi-Surface Cleaning Gel™ Product Detail

I keep answering posts from people who want their coins very clean and shinny. This stuff really works very powerfull for removing rust and tarnish on any metal. I use it in my tumbler. After reading sevreal new posts on how to clean clad I thought I would repost this. No I'm not a dealer. But pm me if you have a question. This is an old bottle Conklin web site has picture of new bottle. Same stuff.

Attachments

• pics ect 2 124.jpg
    pics ect 2 124.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,809
So the mix is coins, rocks teaspoon of gel, no water or anything else?

I just ordered some gel....

Jim

Yes,You use water. I just use the gravel and fill the water about half way in the tumbler. I just give a squirt of gel about a tables spoon. Really never measured it. I never fill it to the top with water. But first I wash the clad in just plain water and hour or so to get off all the dirt and grim. Then rinse it, I use a big tea strainer. Then load it again with the mixture. As I have said pick out the zinc pennies. You can do the 82's and older just no zinc. If you do take them out and tumble them again. It's never the same time Usually 1 hour or less. Some really stained coins take a little longer. I have even left them in all night. When straining the coins I drain it into a plastic drink glass. You can use the solution again. The dirt will all settle to the bottom leaving a blue colored water. I have used the same water mixture several times. There is no pressure build up when you open it. Pretty much a learn as you go on how much to use. I will be waiting to here your results as some people think I'm just blowing smoke about this stuff. Any questions please fell free to PM me.

Attachments

• DSCN4121 (2).jpg
    DSCN4121 (2).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,299
I just use a harbor freight dual drum tumbler. Yes I did do a IH once. Only because it was so far gone I couldn't get a date. But it did clean up to copper again.

Thanks, Towzilla!

Here are my before and after pics cleaning pennies with Conklins Gel I LOVE this stuff! I ordered it on-line. One bottle will last a lifetime. Also works great on my sailboat for the mildew. Thank you, Towzilla!

Attachments

• Conklin before.jpg
    Conklin before.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Conklin after.jpg
    Conklin after.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,279
Ok, I'll bite....I went ahead and ordered a bottle also. For $7, it's worth a shot. I've been using the tumbler with aquarium gravel and dish soap and it's done ok, but I'm hoping this will give the coins a little pop to the finish. I've got some older ones that I couldn't clean up, so I'll toss 'em in and see what happens.

Thanks for the reviews!

Back
Top Bottom