Olive Oil Question

ks coyote

Super Motivator
For those of us who use olive oil is there a better brand to use and is there a difference between virgin oil and regular?

I think the cheaper the better, believe there's more acid in it. Now if you were frying the coppers you would want to go for the pricey stuff.

I would think since the main reason for using olive oil is to remove oxidation products from items that the grade of the olive oil would be the most important reason for choosing an olive oil product. 'Extra virgin oil' is low in acidity (oleic acid).
Therefore use a 'fine' grade or olive lamp oil if you can find it as they are higher in acidity. These would be cheaper than the 'extra virgin' grade.

I got advice from an experienced detectorist and coin cleaner and he recommended mineral oil over olive oil.

Apparently olice oil makes the coin darker but mineral oil keeps it coin looking shade.

Think of baby oil as thats mineral oil.

Combining baby oil with virgin oil through does wonders....in so many ways...:laughing:

I got advice from an experienced detectorist and coin cleaner and he recommended mineral oil over olive oil.

Apparently olice oil makes the coin darker but mineral oil keeps it coin looking shade.

Think of baby oil as thats mineral oil.

Combining baby oil with virgin oil through does wonders....in so many ways...:laughing:

Thanks. I'll give the mineral oil a try. Olive oil does turn coins darker.

I don't see why anyone would use olive oil when peroxide works so well and fast. Oil just makes for greasy coins that still have corrosion. If they don't have corrosion, than you could have used peroxide and been done in 20 minutes compared to two months. I clean a lot of coins and never have a use for olive oil. Probably the only time I would use it would be to take care of a slight amount of remaining residue.

I don't see why anyone would use olive oil when peroxide works so well and fast. Oil just makes for greasy coins that still have corrosion. If they don't have corrosion, than you could have used peroxide and been done in 20 minutes compared to two months. I clean a lot of coins and never have a use for olive oil. Probably the only time I would use it would be to take care of a slight amount of remaining residue.

IP, this is completely intuitive, and I have no factual evidence to back it other than what I have experienced recently... I have a running theory on coppers that depending on the soil type they were found in, and their own particular alloy, they will have different types of corrosion on them... Some are brown, thin and flaky, some are green and thick... The late 1700's coppers I've found are a slick, smooth green, with the remaining patina clinging very delicately to the copper core. In this latter case specifically, I think olive oil is the way to go. Over a couple of months, details will appear gradually and gently.

For coins whose patina is essentially intact, peroxide is the way to go - definitely busts through the crust the quickest. But when you are dealing with a fragile coin, peroxide (and hot peroxide in particular) I think is just too aggressive a process, and you run the risk of flaking off detail that would have helped you get an ID on a coin.

It makes sense to me that since the chemical process the coin has been undergoing while in the ground for 100, 200, 300 years has been a slow and gradual one, stopping that process dead in its tracks and subjecting that copper to a new, highly reactive environment, might not always be the best... Some I think do better with that more gradual transition period of an olive oil soak.

Still hoping to perfect my cleaning methods, and get to the point where I can just look at a coin and say, "Yep, that's a candidate for 'X' treatment" and go to it...

Back
Top Bottom