Fun hunt with my Grandaughter

pplinker

Forum Supporter
My daughter came in from PA to go hunting and while she was doing that I took metal detecting. In fact, she had to go. They're not off school this week so her mom had to fill out papers to get her out of school. She put that she is going to go metal detecting on an old homestead.

Hmmmm. All the old homesteads I know about have already been detected. Then I thought of this old log cabin built in 1880's, still standing that the owner had given permission. Had hunted it once and not found much. But I took her there thinking just the presence of the cabin would show it is indeed an old homestead.

Okayed it with the owner again and got started. GD wasn't real big on swinging the detector so i let her have the pinpointer. She is 12 yrs old and very energetic and helpful. To tamp down grass if a plug didn't fit tight she jumped in the air and landed feet first on it.

We found a 1974 penny, a 1944, and an old rusty key. The one outstanding find was a small bent miniature thimble. Have never seen one, must have been for a child, was slightly larger than a pencil erasor.

Under the cabin there were some bottles mostly broken. I wanted to get her a zinc lid so she could see what the old canning lids looked like. There was one intact bottle and a broken Harry Truman liquor bottle with his picture on it. We used a stick to pull them out.

We quit and took the finds up for the owner to examine. She had said the first time i detected there she wanted to share the finds. She was very intrigued. She kept the bottles, thimble and key. GD was left with the 1944 penny and the zinc lid. GD didn't care about keeping the stuff. I cared a little bit would like to have cleaned that thimble up and examined it more closely. But anyway it was a good day. We went home and had early Thanksgiving meal because they won't be here on Thanksgiving.

Now today we have lots of turkey scraps, going to take them to the old sick dog i discovered at another site. She loves animals so she'll enjoy that.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Getting out with family is what it is all about. Finds don't compare to the time you spend and the memories. Sounds like it was a good time.

Back
Top Bottom